PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coast 1/13 HP mini chiller

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Just a bit of a review. I have now used it about a month on my 34G Solana and while it does its job, I would NOT recommend this chiller to anyone with a tank over 20G unless your running T5's or maybe low wattage halides.

My reasoning for this chiller was to be able to run a 250. While the chiller does work and keep the tank where I want it, it always on. Its working extra hard just to keep the tank at 80.

The room is quite warm at about 78 most of the time and the light is only about 6" from the surface but I still don't feel this thing preforms like it should and I would have bought a larger model if I had known it would be on all the time--it's loud. Was quiet the first 3 weeks but the humming now is getting more and more noticeable. Probably from running so often.

The temperature reading on the chiller is always higher than on my Aquacontroller. Not a big deal and maybe my AC is wrong but as the month has gone on, the temperature has been getting higher and higher on the chiller. I have used several different thermometers now to determine the chiller is in fact loosing accuracy.

I have tried several different feed pumps now to try the thing at different flow rates but again, not helping.

All this after a month :( My biggest concern is that when I bought it, it easily kept the tank at 78 by only coming on a few times a day! Now its on all day mostly to keep the tank at 80. Granted the weather is getting warm (and some days have been HOT) but the decline in performance already has me concerned.

The good--it keeps my tank at 80 degrees like I have it set.

hillegom
05-26-2009, 03:42 PM
First let me say I do not have a chiller. But the unit acts like a fridge. Therfore, it has cooling coils in it and a fan. Like a fridge, over time, the cooling fins accumulate hair, dust and the air traveling over them do not cool as efficiently as before. I would look at the fins, and clean them if needed.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
First let me say I do not have a chiller. But the unit acts like a fridge. Therfore, it has cooling coils in it and a fan. Like a fridge, over time, the cooling fins accumulate hair, dust and the air traveling over them do not cool as efficiently as before. I would look at the fins, and clean them if needed.

I have been cleaning it weekly. Its actually one of the features that is quite nice and makes cleaning easy.

PoonTang
05-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Perhaps it has a small leak in the coolant system. I had a car with AC that did and it slowly lost its effectiveness over a few weeks. Perhaps you can exchange it under warrenty.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Perhaps it has a small leak in the coolant system. I had a car with AC that did and it slowly lost its effectiveness over a few weeks. Perhaps you can exchange it under warrenty.

I am going to look into this..thanks.

Marlin65
05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I think it might be a bit small for your tank. I run a 1/10 on mine and it is about the same size as yours. Mine has been running more as well with the hotter weather. I had to upgrade on my other system as well as it just ran continues. That 250W throws off a lot of heat maybe try adding some fans on the top.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I think it might be a bit small for your tank. I run a 1/10 on mine and it is about the same size as yours. Mine has been running more as well with the hotter weather. I had to upgrade on my other system as well as it just ran continues. That 250W throws off a lot of heat maybe try adding some fans on the top.

Yeah I agree...pretty much my thoughts in the first post. I think they have it rated up to 50G but for a 34G set up like mine, it's undersized.

oilfieldsafety
05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I am running one on a 90 with a 33 gallon sump, so far so good, it runs about 20 mins. out of an hour and has been quiet. I will be looking for a 1/10 in the future though and moving this one to my BC. I tend to agree with the earlier post that you most likely have a small coolant leak.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I am running one on a 90 with a 33 gallon sump, so far so good, it runs about 20 mins. out of an hour and has been quiet. I will be looking for a 1/10 in the future though and moving this one to my BC. I tend to agree with the earlier post that you most likely have a small coolant leak.

Thanks, I will look into this.

Actually today was much cooler out and the chiller has only been on twice, so maybe it is just the warm weather. Last week we had some days I would say were hot like summer.

It seems to come on for about 15 minutes each time it kicks in. Seems a little long for a 34G tank but the light is quite hot.

I think I would have still preferred at least 1/10 HP chiller for this tank!

oilfieldsafety
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Here is a contact for you if you need it.

denise@pacificcoastimports.com

Cheers

Shane