PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp lifespans

my2rotties
05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I was wondering how long cleaner, fire shrimp,coral banded and peppermint shrimp lived for on the average? Mine are all fine, I just wanted to see how long the average person has them for.

i have crabs
05-25-2009, 08:01 PM
i have a fire shrimp thats between 4 and 5 years old, peppermints usually disappear with in 2 years for me.

my2rotties
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
How big is the fire shrimp now? I bought mine from another reefer and he is growing and just over an inch or so long. I don't see him often, just at night when he is cleaning my puffer.

i have a fire shrimp thats between 4 and 5 years old, peppermints usually disappear with in 2 years for me.

marie
05-25-2009, 08:06 PM
How big is the fire shrimp now? I bought mine from another reefer and he is growing and just over an inch or so long. I don't see him often, just at night when he is cleaning my puffer.

My cleaner shrimp seem to last 3-4 years before dying, same with the peppermints

my2rotties
05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Good to know... my two cleaners are very well loved by my tangs. I like to see that they live for quite awhile, since I honestly thought s creature such as a shrimp would not have very long to live. I guess I equated them with insects which only live seasonally, at least around my parts anyways.

My cleaner shrimp seem to last 3-4 years before dying, same with the peppermints

Delphinus
05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I've had them kick off anywhere between 18 months and 5 years. More often around the 2-3 year mark. The last one I had, I had babysat for someone in 2005 that the person never asked for them back, and one kicked off sometime last year, but the other only kicked off a couple months ago, and it's actually kind of unfortunate because it wasn't old age that did him in, but an overnight nuisance GFCI trip, so he'd probably still be around if it wasn't for that.

i have crabs
05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
fireshrimp is about the size of a large cleaner nothing unusual, i had 2 and 1 died, i think from a heat spell 1 summer and since then the other 1 stays hidden most of the time

my2rotties
05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I really had no clue they lived so long... this bunch of shrimp I have brought home in the passt six months. They are the first shrimp I have tried. Nobody has eaten any of them, and they are very well received by the tangs for cleaning... the puffer exclusively used the fire shrimp. It is nice to see them all get along and I can be comfortable in knowing they live for awhile.

Hey Tony, what is GFCI?

Snaz
05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I love my shrimps. Three sexies and a peppermint. Viva la Shrimp!

Doug
05-25-2009, 10:45 PM
My peppermint is almost 4 now. And he was a juvie when I bought him, how ever old that is.