PDA

View Full Version : Working with Tiles??

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 02:05 AM
On this days off, I want to make a ledge around my tank. 6" wide, dor my morning coffee, or afternoon Beer while staring at the fish.. I was thinking topping it with black ceramic tile. BUT, I know nothing of working with tile. Is it something I should try? Or will making a 6"w ledge cost me more for tools than it's worth? I could use Arborite, but I think tile would look much nicer :D

How do I do tiles? Anyone wana give me some pointers?? Be much obliged.

Thx in advance

golf nut
05-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Is there a ledge around the tank at the moment?

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 02:17 AM
No Paul. wasnt originally planed for, so I'll have to built the ledge first. Thats the easy part. Making it look good, Well, me and finishing carpentry don't see eye to eye HAHAHA

mike31154
05-25-2009, 02:20 AM
I'm no expert, but I've done tile work before and it's pretty simple really. If you have the space and can source the proper size tile, there should be minimal cutting involved. That's where the expense and tricky part usually comes in, when you need to buy a tile cutter, although they can be rented and for what you're doing, you don't need a heavy duty model. Generally floor tile needs an exterior grade plywood or concrete as a backing, but if you use wall tile, you can probably make do with most any backing. It won't be as durable though. Other than that, a few trowels, maybe spacers and you're good to go. Preparation, measuring and layout take the most time. If you have that down, the actual laying is pretty straight forward.

I'm thinking of using granite tile when I build my room divider tank set up. Tearing out existing kitchen counter and building tank support with granite tile perimeter. The remainder of the kitchen counter will then get the same treatment.

If I'm not mistaken, my2rotties husband is in the tile business, should be some great advice to be had from them.

karazy
05-25-2009, 02:22 AM
as said before, talk to my2rotties. her and her husband know all about tiling:biggrin:

golf nut
05-25-2009, 02:23 AM
No Paul. wasnt originally planed for, so I'll have to built the ledge first. Thats the easy part. Making it look good, Well, me and finishing carpentry don't see eye to eye HAHAHA
Then it shouldn't be that difficult, just buy a tile that suits your taste and use its dimensions to build the ledge along with the vertical tile for the shelf thickness, then you can pretty well get by without much cutting at all.

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Can tile be cut with a regular glass cutter?

golf nut
05-25-2009, 02:37 AM
For the small amount you need a Dremel should be fine.

got a link to the tank pic?

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 02:50 AM
Heres a pic of before I drilled and added the Bulkheads and coast to coast overflow.

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/normal_IMAG0219.jpg

Dez
05-25-2009, 03:05 AM
I love that you have a level right beside the tank

Heres a pic of before I drilled and added the Bulkheads and coast to coast overflow.

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/normal_IMAG0219.jpg

golf nut
05-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I would be inclined to leave it alone and buy a coffee table :)

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 03:25 AM
I would be inclined to leave it alone and buy a coffee table :)

But wheres the fun in that?? LOL

Pazil
05-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Here is what I did ...

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49882&page=3

Hope it helps... It is best not to use a plywood for your backerboard... especially in wet areas... Pick up some densheild or hadri backer. If you have any questions let me know. One thing that is important is to ensure that you used a modified thinset and silicon all of the areas where tile meets glass or any other materials ie walls, do not grout these areas or the grout will crack. If you have to grout them to achieve a better look than use a clear silicon over the grout after it has dried. You can use a sanded or a non-sanded grout whatever you prefer for the look... I would seal all of the grout to avoid staining from the saltwater or beverage spills :biggrin::biggrin:.

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 03:31 AM
I have lots of HardiBacker lying around. I originally lined my 7' Powdercoat oven with it, but it absorbed to much heat in the warm up phase.

Good tip with the grout on the glass. Would have never thought of it, but now that you mention it, makes total sense.

Your tank is what made me think of adding a ledge, Pazil. Looks awesome

Myka
05-25-2009, 03:36 AM
I wish I lived near you, and I could show you. When I was doing renovations my specialty was tiles. :D You can buy silicone grout. I think it's Mapei that makes it...I never remember brand names, I always just go by recognition. Oi...

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Silicone grout?? WOW, they will combine ANYTHING LOL. I'll look for it. Probibally make the job much easier.

And Ya, You moved away too soon :(

COOOME BAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

golf nut
05-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Something like this?

Myka
05-25-2009, 04:04 AM
:lol: I will be back!!! (famous last words)

golf nut
05-25-2009, 04:18 AM
What color of tile, do you want the shelf higher?

JPotter
05-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Tiling is very easy. You can get a dry tile cutter but renting a wet saw is cheap and makes short work of sizing up the tiles. You will need mastik to stick them on with and grout to fill in the gaps. You will a trowel for the mastik and a float for the grout. It is important to have a good base to put the tiles on..if you have a flimsy base then all will be more difficult. Build the ledge as you would like it and then cover it with the tile.

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes Paul, thats what I was thinking. But level with the bottom of the tank. So the shelf covers the foam and a little bit of the sand.

golf nut
05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
this better?

banditpowdercoat
05-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Me Likes, Paul :D

What program you using to draw with? I have Autocad 2008, but I'm not that good with the 3D aspect.

JPotter
05-25-2009, 05:07 PM
I draw freehand on paper:)

golf nut
05-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Me Likes, Paul :D

What program you using to draw with? I have Autocad 2008, but I'm not that good with the 3D aspect.
I use Iron Cad, it's a solid modeling package that I have used for years, it allows me to go from a solid to CNC easily, very user friendly.

banditpowdercoat
05-26-2009, 02:43 AM
do you use 3D for your CNC? Thats the reason I got Autocad myself. Was for my Mill. But I just use it for X-Y drawings and have a CAM program that I enter the Z's into. It's only a 3 axis mill, and I havn't goten into full scale 3D with it.

golf nut
05-26-2009, 02:53 AM
We run a number of methods, Solidworks included, then into cad cam to verify, I have 16 CNC's and all are slightly different so they have to be dealt with differently in the way you post to them.

banditpowdercoat
05-26-2009, 02:56 AM
16, damn Must be a nice shop :D

Oceans Motions must not be the only thing you produce.

wolf_bluejay
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I am building/planning almost the same thing except I have the ledge already there. So, I had an idea that I figured I'd pass on.

A while ago I got to talking to a fellow that does custom granite kitchen counters as I am thinking about re-doing my whole kitchen, and I asked about a custom granite piece being made up for the ledge in front of my tank (some strange angles and 8 1/2 feet long X 8" wide) and as it turns out -- Most granite sheets com in about 6-7 feet wide, and they custom cut the counters and very regularly get 8" to 12" pieces cut off that is normally wasted as there just isn't that much demand for 8" counter tops.

End result -- I got a price of about $100 for a piece of granite that will butt right up to the tank and act the same as the tile shelf you are thinking about.

You might want to consider it -- as after all the edging material/tools/grout you would be more cost than custom stone work.
PS. I really really hate ceramic tile -- a lot :)

banditpowdercoat
05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I am building/planning almost the same thing except I have the ledge already there. So, I had an idea that I figured I'd pass on.

A while ago I got to talking to a fellow that does custom granite kitchen counters as I am thinking about re-doing my whole kitchen, and I asked about a custom granite piece being made up for the ledge in front of my tank (some strange angles and 8 1/2 feet long X 8" wide) and as it turns out -- Most granite sheets com in about 6-7 feet wide, and they custom cut the counters and very regularly get 8" to 12" pieces cut off that is normally wasted as there just isn't that much demand for 8" counter tops.

End result -- I got a price of about $100 for a piece of granite that will butt right up to the tank and act the same as the tile shelf you are thinking about.

You might want to consider it -- as after all the edging material/tools/grout you would be more cost than custom stone work.
PS. I really really hate ceramic tile -- a lot :)

Where did you get this piece of Granite?

wolf_bluejay
05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Where did you get this piece of Granite?

I'm just waiting until I've got the rest of the cabinet finished. But I talked to a few places that cut the granite (I have a few cards at home).

Usually the rough cut (flat and smooth but not perfectly square) sheets come in for them, and then they cut them down to size. The sheets are usually approx - 14' x 6' and hence there is always the "edge cut" that gets wasted, so they are more than happy to sell cheap. I know a few cabinet makes in the 100 mile area as well, but I don't know if anyone does granite cutting up there or not, but I can find out.

it's like getting a remnant piece of carpet, if you just need a small bit, the "waste" from real jobs is dirt cheap. The only downside is that I don't get to pick from the full "catalog", but rather what they have left over :( If you are ever near Kamloops -- on Halston drive there is a storage yard for one of the stone works places where the rough sheets are stored.

The 2 guys I talked with were real happy about it, as it is profit from a piece they would normally throw away. The cost is mostly for the custom cutting.

banditpowdercoat
05-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Cool, I try to get to Kamloops every 3-4 weeks. I'll have to check it out.