PDA

View Full Version : Tank crash! Help! Calgary

Argentiner
05-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey everyone,

My brother had his skimmer somehow start overflowing out of his sump till he lost circulation from his sump to main tank and over a weekend, completely cooked everything he had in his 125gal from his metal halides. The only survivors were 1 clownfish and a yellow tang. No corals. He has had this tank for about 5 years,and it was totally filled with softies and LPS.

He left camping for a week today and its his 30th birthday next Saturday, and I wanted to get him a bunch of corals/frags to start rebuilding his tank. This happened 2 or 3 weeks ago, and he said the tank did a little cycle and is good now.

Anyone have any cheaper frags/colonies of LPS or softies I could pick up this week? I was especially wanting a little frag of frogspawn/hammer coral as I know he really liked his old one. Any help would be appreciated! I'll let him know where everything came from. Thanks!

Scott

Zoaelite
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Thats really nice of you, the only thing I could see going wrong is stocking the new tank to fast. Yes the cycle is over but in reality, this hobby is about taking it slow and rushing usually leads to problems. I have some cheap Zoa frags that I have to get rid of (some good colors too) shoot me a PM if your interested.
Levi

Argentiner
05-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Ya, I can always keep the more fragile frags in my sump and see how other corals like mushrooms, etc do in his tank to start. PM sent. Thanks.

ponokareefer
06-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow! :surprise: I wasn't expecting this! Come back from holidays to find out that your brother is asking for help stocking your newly bare tank! Thanks a lot bro! :biggrin:
I would like to thank klam and Kevin @ Red Coral Aquarium for your help in getting my system looking like a reef system again. Also, I'd like to thank MikeP for the nice frags and mushrooms that I had purchased from him as well. It's nice to come into work again(the tank is at the office I work at), and not stare at an almost bare tank that was just filled with corals and fish!
My system still has no trace of nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia, so I'm hoping that the cycle is over. All frags/corals/inverts/fish are doing well, and appear very healthy. My yellow tang that made it seems to love all the new algae that formed from the cycle.