PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Head and Tank Leveling Help Please

Ron99
05-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty much ready to get the 65 gallon tank going but have two issues:

1. I filled the tank and sump with tap water to check everything as it is my first tank plumbing job :smile: All my plumbing seems fine but there is a small dripping leak from the back of the bulkhead the LFS installed. I want to remove it to put it on with a bead of silicone around the back part of the bulkhead but I cant get it off. trying to turn the big nut at the back makes the whole thing rotate. Any suggestions as to how to hold the inner part of the bulkhead in place while turning the back nut?

2. The tank and stand are very slightly uneven. it slopes down to the right a little. I would estimate the right side only needs to be raised about 1.5 mm to 2mm. It's very slight but noticeable. Is that slight unevenness okay? if not how would you raise the one end just that slight amount? Try to wedge something thin under that end of the stand?

Thanks,

Ron

golf nut
05-24-2009, 09:38 PM
If it is a large bulkhead it may be a left hand thread. Yes always raise the stand, never the tank.

Ron99
05-24-2009, 11:26 PM
It's a 1.5" bulkhead but it looks like a regular right hand thread from what is sticking out the back. Either way, if I try to turn it both halves rotate and I can't get sufficient grip on the inner part inside the overflow box to hold it to turn the big nut.

Tom R
05-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Ron

I had the same problem once. The bulkhead had had a slow leak and was frozen by salt creep. I tried everything and eventually destroyed it. Some bulkheads are threaded on the tank side and some are not. However if you can either thread or slip a piece of pipe into the tank side of the bulkhead maybe you can get it to come off.

Good Luck

Tom R

hillegom
05-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Ron, I have a large pair of waterpump pliers that would hold the inside from turning, that you could borrow.

Ron99
05-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys. I managed to get it off by cutting the end off a 1.5 inch hose barb fitting and screwing it into the inner part of the bulkhead and holding it with that.