PDA

View Full Version : Silicone cure time?

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I made a 'dry' box for a Vortech to go in the back of my solana cube. It's been about 18 hours now and I still smell a bit of the 'vinegar' smell. Should this be completely gone before I test this thing to make sure its completely sealed?

I heard silicone curing time is generally about 24 hours? I also know tanks are suppose to sit for a week or two before being filled but this not a tank and will not have water in it...or I am in trouble!

Jack
05-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Read the lable, lol.

24hrs should be fine.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Read the lable, lol.

24hrs should be fine.

Well the label just says 'normally cures in 24 hours' and I have heard before there should be no more smell.

I siliconed the glass at 4 yesterday, so actually its been more than 18 hours. Almost 24. I was just concerned it may not be long enough.

Myka
05-23-2009, 10:10 PM
24 hours, but 48 hours if it will hold pressure.

Mrfish55
05-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Cure time depends on thickness, material being bonded and temperature, glass being non porous usually takes a little longer especially if you have thick fillets in the corners, if you can, stick it in front of a fan as the air movement will help speed cure time. I would leave it untill there is no smell left, once cured it has no odor so if you can still smell it=not cured, I have found 48 hours is usually good, when I re-seal large tanks I leave them for 7-10 days.

banditpowdercoat
05-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I've submersed things after 4 hrs cure no problem. Nothing structural though. But 24, you should be good to go for testing for sure. 48, she's in service

mike31154
05-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Dry box for VorTech, cool. I was thinking I might do the same at some point. Does it extend up past the tank rim or is it more or less level? Would it be possible to post a photo or two?

I assume the box will be near the top of the cube, so there wouldn't be as much water pressure as lower down. Nevertheless, I suppose it never hurts to wait a little longer just in case.