PDA

View Full Version : Hang on skimmers

Treebeard
05-22-2009, 06:37 PM
You and me both. My first HOB skimmer was a Sea Clone which I purchased new, as a new, uneducated newbie. Then I bought a Remora from a fellow Canreefer who was getting out of the hobby, who assured me that it worked great. This pos has not produced much more than teaspoon of skimmate in 5 weeks of operation! :mad:

Myka
05-22-2009, 07:17 PM
If you're used to crappy skimmers like SeaClones many people think that the Remora is good, but once you have some experience with better skimmers you will think the Remora sucks. Personally, I don't like Remoras. They are finicky, need tuning constantly, and really don't pull much. In order to get a GOOD hob skimmer you have to spend some decent coin. In sump skimmers, you can get better ones for cheaper. For hob I would recommend a Deltec, nothing less otherwise you may as well go skimmerless. Depending what type of corals you're planning on keeping you may want to just go skimmerless. If you want SPS though skimmers really help... a lot.

Treebeard
05-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but what kind of tuning can I do to try to get the Remora to do something besides heating my tank?

No doubt that I am spoiled by my in-sump Euroreef. Once it is set, it churns away producing green sludge effortlessly.

Zoaelite
05-22-2009, 08:30 PM
No such thing :lol:, get a sump it will do you wonders! After having my Red Sea explode on me like 12 times I just decided it wasn't worth even trying any more. I will never design a system without a sump for that exact reason.
Levi

Relic
05-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Try coralife super skimmer. I use a over sized one one my first set up 20gal, then 40 gal now its on a 75 gal. Its capacity is for 125 gal. I will probably go custom skimmer when I go with a larger tank and sump. The Skimmer has served me well. Must keep power head air intake clear from salt deposits and make sure you replace impeller and shaft every 18 months or so.

I wouldn't go with anything less. When you upgrade 3 times like me you don't want to buy 3 skimmers!

mseepman
05-22-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't know what you plan on spending, but if you have some room (and it takes some room) I've been really happy with the Aquamedic Blue1000 that I got from www.aquacave.com

They aren't uber cheap, but $199 US isn't bad considering what people pay for some skimmers. It pulls a lot out and only uses 12W. It is BIG though. I use it in sump rather than HOB but it's made for both.

Another one you might want to consider is a Tunze...the 9002 is rated for about 58G and doesn't take much room but is known for being good.

hockey nut
05-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Never had a problem with my Remora. Mine skimmed pretty good on my 24 gallon and even better on my 75 when I first set up that tank. The only reason I am selling it is because like most reefers I'll have a full / overstocked fish tank and wanted an in sump skimmer.

I can't see how it would be finicky but like I said I have never had a problem with this unit.

Just my 2 cents.

Chaloupa
05-23-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm with Hockey Nut on this...I have 2 Remora Pro skimmers and am quite happy with them......I'd prefer the Deltec MCE 600 but the Remora does just fine!

imisky
05-23-2009, 06:09 AM
No such thing :lol:, get a sump it will do you wonders! After having my Red Sea explode on me like 12 times I just decided it wasn't worth even trying any more. I will never design a system without a sump for that exact reason.
Levi

MCE600 and ATB multi are two of the best HOB skimmers available on the market so they do exist :P just alot more expensive then in sump ones. You really do pay a premium for HOB skimmers compared to there in sump counterparts.

But if you were looking for a MCE600 or ATB Multi i wish you luck its hard to find them 2nd hand in canada and i dont think ive even seen an ATB multi 2nd hand yet.

VFX
05-23-2009, 06:40 AM
I've owned 2 MCE 600's before. Really great skimmers, but can occasionally get a bit noisy if you don't keep them clean.

I'm currently running a Tunze 9002 Nano Doc in my 15 gallon. Not a HOB, more an in-tank skimmer but it's so small you barely notice it. It's also whisper quiet, in fact it's probably the quietest skimmer I've ever had.

Both are extremely hard to find 2nd hand though, which probably means people tend not to part with them.

Aleks
05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I have to say, I just bought a Remora (nano) HOB off another member here, and in the first 1.5 days of use, I pulled probably 125cc of dark green stuff out of my tank......I'm not sure thats a failure...haha....

Zoaelite
05-23-2009, 07:18 PM
MCE600 and ATB multi are two of the best HOB skimmers available on the market so they do exist :P just alot more expensive then in sump ones. You really do pay a premium for HOB skimmers compared to there in sump counterparts.

But if you were looking for a MCE600 or ATB Multi i wish you luck its hard to find them 2nd hand in canada and i dont think ive even seen an ATB multi 2nd hand yet.

True, there are models out there but the major disadvantage of a hang on is if it cracks, leaks/ over flows you have now created a MASSIVE mess for yourself. Why not treat your system, hide all of those ugly skimmers, heaters and reactors, increase your total gallons and increase flow (with the return).
Levi

Ken
05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi, the Remora does work and works good regards Ken

imisky
05-23-2009, 08:41 PM
True, there are models out there but the major disadvantage of a hang on is if it cracks, leaks/ over flows you have now created a MASSIVE mess for yourself. Why not treat your system, hide all of those ugly skimmers, heaters and reactors, increase your total gallons and increase flow (with the return).
Levi

Its true that if a leak shows up then it becomes trouble for the owners but overflowing is usually built into the higher end HOB skimmers. I for one have never had my MCE600 overflow onto the carpet, it all gets looped back in.

I believe that some people like to keep there systems simple as in no drilling no plumbing. I however also agree that plumbing and etc in the end makes a clean display tank, but just not very viable to some. so some of us go HOB and it works great. sump isnt a go on all systems it looks nice in the end but it could also cause you leaks and etc if not done properly but with that said back on the topic of the seller we kind of took it on a side trail.

Eugene

marihoochie
05-23-2009, 09:05 PM
My Prizm Pro works awesome..I've had it running for 3 years now...works like a charm..the only issue i've ever had, is that once a year I have to change the impeller..otherwise it's perfect...I.ve never had to tune it or anything...maybe I'm just lucky..but I would recommend it.

Doug
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I moved the thread here so it can be discussed at will, instead of the buy/sell forum.

I had a Deltec 600 for awile. Sold it though. Looking at the SWC Extreme hang on. Seen one when in there. Great looking skimmer. Never seen any ATB for sale yet. Are they on the market now?

Aleks
05-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Levi

:wink: Same could happen with a sump tank......I have to say that I'm not sure how other skimmers are built, but it would take quite the drop to crack mine? Its all seamless acrylic

Zoaelite
05-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks Doug, didn't even realise it was BUY/SELL :redface:. Yes sumps do also have the possibility to leak (eh this is the reefing hobby what doesn't leak?). I know with my old tank there was no way to get sump into there and because I had just started reefing I didn't really understand all the fine points of plumbing/ drilling. IMO once you have a sump on a tank its very hard to try and get by with out one.
Levi

Aleks
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Doug, didn't even realise it was BUY/SELL :redface:. Yes sumps do also have the possibility to leak (eh this is the reefing hobby what doesn't leak?). I know with my old tank there was no way to get sump into there and because I had just started reefing I didn't really understand all the fine points of plumbing/ drilling. IMO once you have a sump on a tank its very hard to try and get by with out one.
Levi

For sure, but it overcomplicates setups in the 5-20 gallon range imo......When I do set up a larger cube, than absolutely, I think a sump tank is the "proper" way to do it, but for the nano's a HOB skimmer and fuge are handy!

Zoaelite
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
:wink: Same could happen with a sump tank......I have to say that I'm not sure how other skimmers are built, but it would take quite the drop to crack mine? Its all seamless acrylic

My comment was more directed to my old Red Sea model (Which I would never advise anyone to purchase). That in mind though, even BMW's need service calls once In a while.
Levi

Doug
05-23-2009, 09:44 PM
The only sump I have had leak, was a cheap poc, that cracked. Thats the last time I used some cheap glass sump.

I have seen hang on,s leak though. And its not cracking but overflow cups. Most of them are not sealed around the cup, although the high end skimmers are pretty close but can still leak. The better ones have overflow protection with the return tube, which is good as long as the water level does not reach the top of the skimmer body.

Has anyone looked at Lifereef,s hang on skimmer. Except for the pump in the water, very impressive looking. Shuts down in case of overflow, through the air intake.

If you find my Tunze 9010 review here, you would see I was very happy with it, except it sits in the tank. But skims excellent and is fool proof. NO OVERFLOWS. :D

Myka
05-23-2009, 09:59 PM
What many people fail to understand also is that the ratings for skimmers are often very inaccurate. A cheaper skimmer will be rated for more gallons than an equal to it of a better brand. For example, a EuroReef RS-180 is comparable in performance to an ASM G4. The EuroReef RS-180 is rated for 180 gallons where the ASM G4 is rated for 350 gallons, and you will pay a lot more for a EuroReef that is rated for 350 gallons. The Bubble King Mini 160 is only rated for 50-100 gallons, and it will blow the pants off both the EuroReef RS-180 and the ASM G4 in performance if they were all put on the same size tank, but you will fork out over $1000 for it. Comparing skimmers (like comparing lighting) isn't as straight forward as most people think. Don't be fooled by the manufacturer's ratings.

reef
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I found the Deltec mce 600 to be the best hang on skimmer, skims well and is very easy to set up and looks good on a tank

Doug
05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
It is a very good skimmer but for $600, put on a decent sized collection cup and some type of "O" ring seal.