PDA

View Full Version : Just joined Canreef

Eb0la11
05-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Hello everyone, so I discovered this forum from another member but I don't know his username. He was selling a piece of equipment used online locally and me and my room mate bought it from him and he suggested the boards.

We are starting our first salt water tank. I've been getting a lot of information from reefcentral.com sorry to say. I'll probably jump back and forth between forums for my needs but wanted to touch base here.

We are setting up a 150 gallon reef from scratch mostly by purchasing used gear. We'll have a 30 gallon sump underneath and will be setting up a reef tank.

We are from Calgary and have most of our equipment purchased. We just need a couple (I think 2 powerful ones would be enough) powerheads, a return pump for the sump (probably around 1000-1200 GPH at 3 feet, not really sure yet and then lastly we need to solve out lighting situation.

Anyways, if any of you have any of this equipment or know where we can get a good deal, since our budget is quickly dwindling after the tank, skimmer and RODI unit purchases, PLEASE point us in the right direction. We may even be willing to trade a 50 gallon tank with stand and light canopy (used for fresh water) for some of this stuff. Feel free to contact us in this thread.

Lastly, we're in desperate need for some good quality live rock and live sand. We are looking at buying from Golds Aquarium for 7.99 per pound live rock but we really cant afford much at that price. Once again, willing to trade and would love to get let in on any kind of secret place to get good stuff for cheaper.

Thanks a lot, Im sure you'll see us around. I'll follow this thread for sure.

BlueAbyss
05-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey, welcome to Canreef!

There's all kinds of stuff for sale in the classified section on here, check that out... Also, check out the sponsoring vendors, internet shopping is awesome :lol:

On the live rock thing, have you considered having rock shipped to you rather than picking it up locally? You'll probably end up with nicer rock that way, though you'll pay probably around the same per pound after shipping is all worked out.

fishytime
05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Welcome to canreef and the dark side of fishkeeping:biggrin: I think Jdigital has some stuff for sale....not sure if he is willing to "part out" yet though. Some people on here seem to speak highly of a shop called Red Coral:mrgreen:

Tom R
05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Welcome to canreef

Rbacchiega
05-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Welcome to canreef and the dark side of fishkeeping:biggrin: I think Jdigital has some stuff for sale....not sure if he is willing to "part out" yet though. Some people on here seem to speak highly of a shop called Red Coral:mrgreen:

*cough shameless plug cough*

Keep an eye out in the For Sale section. Lots of times you can find good ammounts of established live rock for cheap.

Snappy
05-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Welcome aboard!
Reef keeping is like most other things in life.... you generally get what you pay for.
In my experience buying "used" live rock cost me more in the long run because I inherited someone else's nuisance algae and headaches. (unless used in the sump)

Lance
05-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Welcome to Canreef.

EG-9
05-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome to Canreef.
Local Store as following:
Ocean City
Wai's Aquarium
Elite
Gold Aquarium
Red Coral Aquarium
Big Al's

Eb0la11
05-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Haha thats funny, I was actually just reading through the thread about starting a club and saw you were the vendor that ran Red Coral :p I'll be sure to check it out nonetheless.

Tomjay
05-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Welcome to Canreef

Eb0la11
05-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey, welcome to Canreef!

There's all kinds of stuff for sale in the classified section on here, check that out... Also, check out the sponsoring vendors, internet shopping is awesome :lol:

On the live rock thing, have you considered having rock shipped to you rather than picking it up locally? You'll probably end up with nicer rock that way, though you'll pay probably around the same per pound after shipping is all worked out.

Its definitely an option we'd like to explore. Which sites do you recommend? Do you have experience with any of these sites? I'd hate to buy something and it arrives and is very weak in life.

jepree
05-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Welcome! I'm fairly new myself and found this board to be very insightful and informative along with some really great people!!!

ElGuappo
05-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Welcome aboard.

Blom
05-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Nice to meet you, This thread and the nice folks at red coral have helped walk me through my first reef tank.

BlueAbyss
05-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Its definitely an option we'd like to explore. Which sites do you recommend? Do you have experience with any of these sites? I'd hate to buy something and it arrives and is very weak in life.

I don't have personal experience... yet. EDIT: That's a lie, actually... I bought some hardgoods from J & L, got an excellent price, free shipping, and my package arrived 3 days earlier than it's delivery date. I've never bought livestock or anything like that and had it shipped, but the time is coming very soon :biggrin:

I've heard good things about J & L's rock, but again, don't have any experience. I would also hate to pay top price for rock and get rock that is live but lacking in critters, which I think is part of what makes a reef tank interesting... the hitchhikers that come in on the rock. You can request fresh rock which will give the most variety of life. This is the route I'm taking, though I'll be having my rock shipped from Bayside Corals in Saskatoon on the bus. Since the bus ride from there to here is only like 8 hours (including all the stops), this is much more economical than having 30 lbs of rock shipped by air from BC. Being that you need at least a box of rock, your price will be much better per pound than I would be able to get, and you're in a major centre (Calgary) so you're already one up on me (no transfers from an Air Canada or Westjet shipment for you).

Myka
05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Find a buddy off here that knows what they're doing and you should be able to find some nice rock that's been previously used. But as Snappy said, if you don't know what you're looking for it can be a real big headache. Personally, I have had less algae issues buying used rock than brand new rock. I have learned to cook all new rock (see link in sig if you're interested), and that tends to really help. Nothing sucks more than $1000 of live rock that's leeching phosphates and nitrates into your tank and polluting it causing algaes. That sucks.

365seasons
05-24-2009, 03:04 PM
welcome to canreef,
like a lot of what everyone else said you just got to keep a good eye open for deals and definitely go and visit the all the local shops(Red Coral,Golds,Ocean City,...), there will be tons of people here to help out
:biggrin:

BlueAbyss
05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I do agree with Myka that if not done properly, fresh rock has potential to be a hassle. The ideal would be to cook it, but if you're interested in retaining the 'critters' and macros and stuff, there's an excellent thread on NR about soft cycling properly... I'll have to find the page.

Found the thread, this is sort of the guide that I'm using... http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180442

fishoholic
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM

J&L has nice live rock. We purchased and had it shipped in from J&L before and it was decent live rock. We did cure the live rock for a few weeks before adding it to the tank (as there is die off during the shipping) but over all it was pretty good live rock for a good price.

aquatic_rice
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM
welcome. Im pretty new here too, but found some good ppl and very informative info.
keep an eye out and youll find some good deals too!

BlueAbyss
05-25-2009, 05:41 AM
J&L has nice live rock. We purchased and had it shipped in from J&L before and it was decent live rock. We did cure the live rock for a few weeks before adding it to the tank (as there is die off during the shipping) but over all it was pretty good live rock for a good price.

Thanks for the heads up, this is good to know! I have yet to hear someone say they weren't happy with the rock they got from J & L.

Eb0la11
05-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Hmmm, Im gonna definitely shop around. I think we might "double dip" and get our live rock from a variety of vendors to ensure a large biosphere in our tank. Hopefully this pays off if we get from reputable places. I just hope it doesnt also increase our chances of bad hitch hikers coming along... which I suppose will be inevitable. I think we're about 3 weeks away from purchasing some live rock still though. Just got the tank today:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/Eb0la11/150GTank.jpg

Quite happy with it after cleaning it all off and what not. Quick question. Think its safe to store outside COMPLETELY under a patio that extends probably at least 6 feet in all directions around it for I think 7 to abolute maximum 14 days? Its slightly covered by a rubber tarp too but not completely. Anyone see any problems with this? Its out of the elements pretty good and weather is good for a while.

Anyways, keep the pointers coming, we'll definitely soak up as much info as we can. We're newbs but have been doing lots of reading about curing rock and cycling and everything so hopefully we do it right from the start.

BlueAbyss
05-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Just keep the sun off it, UV will weaken the silicone.

I agree with mixing up the live rock from different sources, though a 'biotope' could sort of be established by using rock from only one source.

Eb0la11
05-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok cool, no sun has a chance of hitting it. That's what I thought was the big concern.

Another question, does anyone know a reputable place we can take the tank to get drilled? This is one of the next steps that we're going to take. Also what price range am I looking at for 4 holes? Or, does anyone have any diamond bits that can drill glass? I would consider DIY for this since a lot of places won't do it. I would just go ultra slow and I think I could get it done. Advice?

JDigital
05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok cool, no sun has a chance of hitting it. That's what I thought was the big concern.

Another question, does anyone know a reputable place we can take the tank to get drilled? This is one of the next steps that we're going to take. Also what price range am I looking at for 4 holes?

There are a couple members here that have experience drilling tanks.. I think the avg price from a shop is $20/hole... If you are a DIY'er you could get a bit and drill it yourself too.

Welcome to Canreef.

Eb0la11
05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
How much would like a 2 inch bit cost? I really want to get it drilled but it sounds like none of the glass shops around here drilled assembled tanks, only a pain of glass that will eventually make up a tank. Anyone with experience willing to help me out one way or another? Either I could rent their bit or they could drill it for me? I'm not sure if 2 inch is the diameter I'm ultimately going to go with just yet though.

Blom
05-25-2009, 08:32 PM
I actually had my tank dilled at Red Coral here in Calgary, and they did a fantastic job quickly :mrgreen:. That being said I would do it myself next time. I based it off cost when I did mine, two holes were 40 bucks while buying a diamond encrusted hole saw was somewhere around $60-80. Cheapest I found was on eBay and im way to impatient to wait for shipping. As for the hole size that is going to depend on the bulkhead. And the bulkhead is going to depend on the size of your drains and returns. I just drilled for my drains which are 1 1/2 inch but Im not sure what diam hole that bulkhead would require. Ill see if I can dig it up somewhere on the net (EDIT: 1 1/2" bulkhead requires a 2 3/8" hole, found on reefland.com), Im sure many people on canreef would know as well.

xtreme
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
I've gotten a couple bits from mops.ca. The price is good and they will do the job for a few holes.

Eb0la11
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Hmm, red coral hey? They might just be the winners as I havent found anyone else really that is willing to do it. I am not that scared of doing it myself at all, I think I'd just give it the time and presence of mind required so that I didnt crack the tank. Very slow would get the job done safely. Im not positive but I think my glass is either 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick so it's pretty sturdy. I'll have to give them a call in the next little bit and plan this out once I can figure out the hole size I need.

Eb0la11
05-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Where are you guys buying bulk heads from? I went to HD and they didnt have any that I could find in the plumbing dept. Is there different kinds that have female parts on both ends so I can attach a filter head to the drain inside the tank and then pvc on the other side? The ones I have at my house (which I dont think I'll be using) have a female side and then another side that is nothing, basically an open smooth hole. Ideas for what I described above as this is likely what I'll be going with.

I think my drains will require 1.5" inside diameter pvc and my return will require 1" inside diameter.

I'll likely have two drains in the upper corners and then two returns in the 2/5 and 3/5 spacings at the top of the tank.

___D________R________R________D___ D= drain and R= Return

Hope that makes sense.

fishytime
05-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Where are you guys buying bulk heads from? I went to HD and they didnt have any that I could find in the plumbing dept. Is there different kinds that have female parts on both ends so I can attach a filter head to the drain inside the tank and then pvc on the other side? The ones I have at my house (which I dont think I'll be using) have a female side and then another side that is nothing, basically an open smooth hole. Ideas for what I described above as this is likely what I'll be going with.

I think my drains will require 1.5" inside diameter pvc and my return will require 1" inside diameter.

I'll likely have two drains in the upper corners and then two returns in the 2/5 and 3/5 spacings at the top of the tank.

___D________R________R________D___ D= drain and R= Return

Hope that makes sense.

:wave: You-hoo....over here....Red Coral again...we have bulkheads.:mrgreen:

Blom
05-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Both of my bulkheads were from red coral, other aquarium shops or a hot tub supply store maybe. Not sure. As for attaching a filter head just use pvc fittings. If I'm understanding you right you could just use a length of 1 1/2 pvc pipe to a threaded fitting which you could attach the filter head. And yes bulkheads come with threaded ends as well if you wanted to purchase new ones. What I would recommend is to go through some of the tank build journals on this site to see how others have gone about their builds. Useful tips and tricks, it alleviated many of my issues. the 1 1/2 inch drains are good, have you looked into a herbie style overflow (search this forum). the return lines will depend on your return pump. If you have a pump that has 3/4 inch output I would recommend running that the majority of the distance if not the whole way.

Eb0la11
05-25-2009, 11:50 PM
:wave: You-hoo....over here....Red Coral again...we have bulkheads.:mrgreen:

Fishytime, what kind of a deal can you get me for 4 holes and 4 bulkhead fittings? :p I live in the south east, driving up there... gotta be worth my while lol.

Eb0la11
05-26-2009, 12:21 AM
I am not familiar with very many "drainage/overflow" models at all outside of a typical overflow?. I was planning on basically having just this inside my two drain holes (One with a 1.5" diameter)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/Eb0la11/membrane.jpg

Thatd basically be it for drainage as it'd be at the desired water level line.

As far as my understanding of herbies goes it just limits the drainage so that no air goes with it, thus lessening the sound? Is that it? I really am lacking knowledge on the design but am open to other options. I would like to keep as much tank space as possible though and feel like this design is close to as good as overflow boxes based on what Ive heard and Ive seen it in LFS's as well. Seems like a great design to save space in the tank and still oxygenate the water and skim the surface.

Eb0la11
05-26-2009, 12:28 AM
By the way, I just wanted to say that so far, Canreef is kicking the snot out of Reef Central for being helpful. I love how this is local and I can get some real good advice on where to find deals and what not. Much appreciated.

fishytime
05-26-2009, 12:39 AM
By the way, I just wanted to say that so far, Canreef is kicking the snot out of Reef Central for being helpful. I love how this is local and I can get some real good advice on where to find deals and what not. Much appreciated.

And the search function works too:lol:... I will pm you with a quote.

Doug
05-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi ,
Welcome to the best board going. :D

You would likely do even better taking the discussion to the regular forums for it, like reef forum or equipment. And then when you start your build, start a thread in the journal forum.

Thanks
and good luck with the new tank. Lots of help and info on here. We also have greta info in our library.

fishytime
05-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks and good luck with the new tank. Lots of help and info on here. We also have greta info in our library.

Yup...lots of great info......spelling sometimes isnt the best but hey:razz:..... Sorry Doug couldnt resist.:mrgreen:

Eb0la11
05-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Ok, read a bit more about herbies. Still havent read as much as I could about actually constructing one, but got a general understanding. Gate valve is installed to "fine tune" water flow to the sump so that can get a bit of an equilibrium in the overflow box where there is hardly any water sound to help make the tank silent.

Sounds good, but wouldnt I get the exact same effect with my design? I feel like the herbie results in lost air injection into the water. How is this remedied?

Ideally Id like to get a drain pipe that is turbulant inside it and a bit larger than needed so the water sloshes around, mixing with air, but remains quiet inside the pipe, rather than sloshing around at the surface in an overflow.

Doug
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Yup...lots of great info......spelling sometimes isnt the best but hey:razz:..... Sorry Doug couldnt resist.:mrgreen:

:lol: Must not have had my glasses on. :lol:

Blom
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Ok, read a bit more about herbies. Still havent read as much as I could about actually constructing one, but got a general understanding. Gate valve is installed to "fine tune" water flow to the sump so that can get a bit of an equilibrium in the overflow box where there is hardly any water sound to help make the tank silent.

Sounds good, but wouldnt I get the exact same effect with my design? I feel like the herbie results in lost air injection into the water. How is this remedied?

Ideally Id like to get a drain pipe that is turbulant inside it and a bit larger than needed so the water sloshes around, mixing with air, but remains quiet inside the pipe, rather than sloshing around at the surface in an overflow.

A herbie will allow just water to travel through one standpipe and air through the other. By eliminating the air from your main standpipe you 1. Reduce Noise almost completely (which in nice) 2. More control. 3. Increased flow rate (that is because their is no air taking up room in the standpipe.

Ive never had anything else other than this tank so I am not familiar with the other styles of drainage. Just keep readings, there are never any shortage of opinions. Did you happen across this forum topic http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52343

Eb0la11
06-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Alright, just got my lighting unit and a small portion of base rock. I'm hoping within 2 weeks we'll be filling the tank.

The light we got is a Coralife Aqua Light Pro 72" version with 250W MHs and 96 W Blue actinics with LED moon lights as well. Im pretty pumped about the purchase. Thank you BahCan for the help with the lighting situation.

We'll be ordering our powerheads very soon. Looking to have around 4500 gallons of flow.

On a side note, I think all of our equipment is surprisingly sufficient enough to handle a 180 gallon tank, including our stand... We're contemplating buying just an already predrilled/overflow 180 gallon and selling our 150... Not sure if this is possible or not just yet but with the stand being 2'x6' and the tank 18"x6', we almost may as well. We'll see though. If we do we'd have to do it in the next two weeks as thats likely our timeline to start filling.

Anyways, just thoguht I'd give a quick update.