PDA

View Full Version : 40 Gallon Breeder Stand and hood

Chowder
05-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Well decided to build a oversized stand and hood for the 40 gallon breeder. The idea is to set it up in the office to hold all my SPS so I can take down the 105 Gallon at home due to a up comming move. I really don't want to do a move and tank move all in one day. I also have a 72 Bow at work that is empty to hold all LPS, Zoas, Rics and some of the rock. When we get a house I will set the 40 gallon tank up as a Zoa and Ricordia tank. I got the stand idea off of one from RC . Pretty sure I will never build a stand like this again cause the cost was a little high but I did have fun doing it so far. I still have to sand, fill and stain it. I have decided to go with a black stain hoping it will hid some of my mistakes and imperfections I so easily create.

Here it is.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_1709.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_1711.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_1712.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_1713.jpg

Chris

Leah
05-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Wow! Very nice when do you go into business!

subman
05-23-2009, 03:02 AM
Wow that's a huge roll of toilet paper!

And that stand is INCREDIBLE!

Chowder
05-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Also forgot to mention that if I decide not to set up the tank I can always remove the doors off the stand, get a fireplace insert ,add some wheels and have a niffty portable fireplace.:biggrin:

Chowder
05-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Wow! Very nice when do you go into business!

Never going into business making stands . Have not totalled up how much but figure it is in the $200 range possibly higher. Don't think to many people would pay $200 plus my time for a stand.

Chris

Chowder
05-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Wow that's a huge roll of toilet paper!

And that stand is INCREDIBLE!
Thanks. It's actually hand towel. I'm building the stand in a mechanics shop. It is cheaper for them to get a hugh roll of it and cut it down to that width.

I will definetly post a picture when I get it stained and finished.

fishytime
05-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Never going into business making stands . Have not totalled up how much but figure it is in the $200 range possibly higher. Don't think to many people would pay $200 plus my time for a stand.

Chris

Stand looks great.....you might be surprised at what some people are willing to pay for a quality piece of aquarium furniture.:wink:

Rbacchiega
05-23-2009, 03:54 PM
:thumb:

Chowder
05-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Stand looks great.....you might be surprised at what some people are willing to pay for a quality piece of aquarium furniture.:wink:

Thanks , I would have to perfect the design and cut out all miss cuts and find a way to do the work quicker to make it cost effective. I've worked on this on my spare time for about a week now. Not to mention this is a stand that would only take a 36"lx 18"foot print or something custome to take up the whole stand dims. in that cause the hood would have to be rebuilt.

Chris

christyf5
05-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Wow, thats some impressive work Chris. Can't wait to see it stained up :biggrin:

Jason McK
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Look'n good Man. that canopy is huge

J

Myka
05-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Chris

Very nice! I wish I had the patience to make a nice stand like that. Unfortunately my finishing carpentry skills are pretty much null since I dislike it so much nowadays! :lol:

Lots of people pay a lot of money for custom aquarium stands and canopies. How long did it take you? Properly finished, and if the work is very fine (hard to tell the fine work in pics) your efforts on this set would probably fetch $600-700 for that size. People would pay that. The market isn't huge, but it is there.

Chowder
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I think it is more on the line that I don't have to much patience. About enough to make myself one. It also is hard to do when you don't have the proper tools. I had to borrow afew things from a friend to make this stand. I think if I had a house where I had a shop with the proper tools it might be difrent.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Chris

Myka
05-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Ya I hear ya. I had to make my stand with a chop saw, a cordless drill, a circular saw, and a router with only one bit and no table. Oh, and 0 for patience and want to do it. :lol: My stand is very simple.

Chowder
05-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Sounds like the same tools I had, but I did have a table saw and air gun as well.

Chris

hockey nut
05-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Holy sheep **** !!!

Where's the tank? I see a small pico tank but where's the 40 gal? ;)

Well done Chris. Looks great !!!

Myka
05-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Sounds like the same tools I had, but I did have a table saw and air gun as well.

Chris

Oh man, my stand would be SO much different if I had a table saw and a brad nailer. I almost went out and bought them. :lol:

Ron99
05-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Nice Job Chris. Where were you a few days ago when I was loking for a stand for my frag tank :mrgreen:

Chowder
05-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Holy sheep **** !!!

Where's the tank? I see a small pico tank but where's the 40 gal? ;)

Well done Chris. Looks great !!!

Thanks ...... was thinking the tank looks like a 10 gallon now.

Chowder
05-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Oh man, my stand would be SO much different if I had a table saw and a brad nailer. I almost went out and bought them. :lol:

Ya the nailer helped alot . So much easier then standing there with a hammer and nail and alot quiker too.

Nice Job Chris. Where were you a few days ago when I was loking for a stand for my frag tank :mrgreen:

Thanks ...... Not looking to get into making these , just a one off.

Chris

Jason McK
05-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Hey I thought you said you where staining it today. Where are the bloody pictures!

Chowder
05-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey I thought you said you where staining it today. Where are the bloody pictures!

No I was sanding today and filling the holes. Hopfully will have time this week to finish the sanding part and get it stained by next weekend.

Chris

Chowder
06-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I have finally finished the stand and set up the tank as a holding tank for when I take my home tank down.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_1768.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_1770.jpg

Chris

Jason McK
06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks Great. Is there water in it yet?

J

noirsphynx
06-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Looks great! I love the stain color you chose.

Chowder
06-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Looks Great. Is there water in it yet?

J

There's water in it in the picture.

Looks great! I love the stain color you chose.

Thanks I like it to. It also hides alot of the mistakes.

hockey nut
06-16-2009, 04:35 AM
looks great!

you should get the yellow sticker off the overflow box. ;)

Chowder
06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
looks great!

you should get the yellow sticker off the overflow box. ;)

Thanks, there is no yellow sticker believe it is a reflection from something.

Chris