PDA

View Full Version : Test Kits - Who makes the best?

Black Phantom
05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I've tried a bunch of different kits over the years. The ones that measure in numbers are great but the color difference ones I find are very difficult to read depending on the light conditions in the room.
Is there any product out there that takes all its measurement in numbers and not with color.
(nitrate is always a tough one):biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Just tagging along. I've used Salifert, Elos, API, Hagen, and Seachem. My favorite is actually Salifert because I find them the most user friendly even though some of my Salifert kits havent been very consistent.

However many books on the hobby that I've read dismiss the accuracy of hobby grade test kits when compared with lab grade equipment anyways. I have yet to see a proper study done to prove otherwise. So maybe it is best to just go with whatever works best for you.

RuGlu6
05-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Just tagging along. I've used Salifert, Elos, API, Hagen, and Seachem. My favorite is actually Salifert because I find them the most user friendly even though some of my Salifert kits havent been very consistent.

However many books on the hobby that I've read dismiss the accuracy of hobby grade test kits when compared with lab grade equipment anyways. I have yet to see a proper study done to prove otherwise. So maybe it is best to just go with whatever works best for you.

x2

Myka
05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
just tagging along. I've used salifert, elos, api, hagen, and seachem. My favorite is actually salifert because i find them the most user friendly even though some of my salifert kits havent been very consistent.

However many books on the hobby that i've read dismiss the accuracy of hobby grade test kits when compared with lab grade equipment anyways. I have yet to see a proper study done to prove otherwise. So maybe it is best to just go with whatever works best for you.

Me three!!! :D Except I have not used SeaChem test kits.

globaldesigns
05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I use Elos, sometimes confusing to figure out, but they IMO are the most accurate.

Lance
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I've used the Salifert, Elos, API, Seachem and Hagen. I'd have to say the Salifert is my favourite but in all honesty I think they are all kinda crappy.

BlueAbyss
05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm using the API test kits right now on my FW tank, I also have the Saltwater version, and they seem okay. I considered the Elos kit, but it's over 200 dollars. These retail around $50 but I got them for cheap from J & L.

Mrfish55
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I use the Aquarium Systems regents (Instant Ocean branded) in my Medusa colorimeter and find it to be very accurate and easy to use, no guessing the color, it displays the actual reading.

Black Phantom
05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm sure we are all in the same boat. Look at your test under a MH bulb and it looks fine. Move over to a household fixture with a 3500K bulb and things are out of whack. Go outside or move to a window with good sun and you get another color reading.
I'm so confused :lol:
And unfortunately the manufacturer never includes instructions as to what your light source should be.

BlueAbyss
05-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I think they are sort of standardized to a natural light at noon color temperature, I check mine in reflected light (off the white side of the building across the alley) from my big window.

TrailFish
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
I've used plenty of test kits over the years and always question their accuracy as well. I started using the Seachem test kits recently and the ones I've used come with a reference value. It make it a little easier to guage the colour especially if you put the reference value beside the tank sample.

Overall, test kits are a pain in the #@%!! A necessary evil.

Black Phantom
05-25-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm going to give the Seachem ones a shot. I have to laugh because depending on my light conditions the nitrate in my tank is either at zero or everything in my tank should be dead :lol:

Delphinus
05-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I always used to swear by Seachem because of the reference value. I wish all testkits came with one, it's a brilliant and simple solution to answering the question "how do I know this test kit isn't fubar'd?" .. I had to stop using Seachem a few years ago though because they changed reagents and the colour shifts on their titration kits became near impossible to discern the change (the change went from "clear, with a slight pink hue" to "clear, with a slight blue hue" whereas before it was a clear shift from pink to blue. If they've cleared this up I'm switching back to Seachem.) I've since bounced between Elos and Salifert and while they're not bad, they're not great. Suffice it to say, any test kit has its pluses and minuses, so pick your favourite. As stated, they are all PITA's but necessary evils.

And yeah, having two brands of test kits onhand has been a real eye opener in terms of precision and consistency (ie., too wildly different readings, whom to believe?). Reference samples would totally clear that question up...

reef
05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Found Salifert to be great, Tropic marine is pretty good.