PDA

View Full Version : Copperband not doing well

Oxymoron
05-21-2009, 04:13 PM
My poor copperband didn't eat yesterday.
I checked the water and all parameters test normal. All other fish are healthy. There has been no new additions to the tank or tank maintenance done. He has good coloration and no visible parasites.
The last water change was 3 weeks ago.
He was eating very aggresively and swimming normal 2 days ago. I have had him for 2 months.
This morning, after not eating last night, he was laying on the bottom of the tank. I have pulled him off the powerhead once this morning.
Is there any thing I can do? Hes not looking good and seems very weak.
I do have a fishless 50 gal with a pile of aptasia in it. Should I consider putting him in there to try to get him eating.
Could this be an example of cyanide poisoning?
I know the moral opinion of most about keeping these fish in captivity and am looking for advice in saving him.
Thanks
Adam

targa81
05-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm afraid your copperband is likely doomed. IME, once these guys lay on the bottom and get sucked onto a powerhead they are not going to survive.I think the stress of moving him would likely finish him off as well. Some people might advise you to euthanize the fish but I never have the heart to do that. If your parameters are ok then there is nothing likely you can do. I find copperbands one of the hardest fish to keep.

Oxymoron
05-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Its a shame. He was feeding so well, I was hoping he would defy the odds.

Borderjumper
05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with Targa. Im sorry about your fish, but it seems to happen all too often with CBB's. :sad:

Oxymoron
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Is the move to the 50 gal worth a shot? Or is it too late:(

my2rotties
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
If he is going to die any ways, why not try to put him into the other tank. At least you tried everything at that point. I wish I had further advise for you. I have had mine for six months and he is still going strong. What has yours been eating just out of curiosity? I feel my success with mine has been the puffer food I make for my porc. It is a combination of clams, mussels, squid, cuttlefish, shrimp and octopus, blended in a food processor with garlic and selcon. My CBB does eat mysis but he really seems to enjoy the puffer food. Perhaps it has some sort of nutrient in it that other CBBs may not be getting. I had a cleaner wrasse that I ended up giving away that was fat and robust from this food, and my Regal angel goes nuts for it as well.

I very often read that these fish are fine and suddenly die. Maybe it is due to malnutrition... I really don't know though. It is just a point to ponder since I really have no clue as to why I have been so fortunate with my hard to keep fish.

Really sorry about your CBB, they are beautiful fish.

Borderjumper
05-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Is the move to the 50 gal worth a shot? Or is it too late:(

Honestly I think its too late, but it might be a good idea to do it, that way he can die in peace and he will be easy to find after hes gone.

Leah
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh that is really sad, I'd move him as well it is worth a shot.

Oxymoron
05-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I've moved him to the 50 gal. Before moving him he had started to lose some color. It doesn't look good.
He was eating brine, mysis and bloodworms before and could be hand fed within 2 months of having him. By far my favourite fish.
Its a shame he was so friendly and appeared to be doing very well 2 days ago.
Since moving him to the 50 gal he has displayed the same behaviour and is hanging out around the bottom very weak.

Carmen
05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
So sorry to hear that! :cry: CBB is one of my favorites too and would be very sad if anything went wrong with mine. I find myself always watching mine to be sure he is eating normally...hope I never see the same as you are seeing. SORRY!:sad:

Oxymoron
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Unfortunently he didn't make it:(
Thanks for the kind words all.

Treebeard
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry that he did not make it. It really sucks to lose a fish.
I have tried two CBB and neither of them lasted a week. Both of them seemed to be eating well but both suddenly went downhill and died within hours. I will never try another until I can be guaranteed that they were not cyanide caught.

Unfortunently he didn't make it:(
Thanks for the kind words all.

sharuq1
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your CBB :sad:

JDigital
05-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Sorry that he did not make it. It really sucks to lose a fish.
I have tried two CBB and neither of them lasted a week. Both of them seemed to be eating well but both suddenly went downhill and died within hours. I will never try another until I can be guaranteed that they were not cyanide caught.

+1 to the T!! Mine experience has been the exact same.. tried 2, and both went downhill quick, even though eating great!..:neutral:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

fishoholic
05-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Sorry for your loss. I find with CBB's about 80% of them die within a few months of purchase. However of the 20% or so that last more then a few months, I find them to be fairly hardy. I've had mine for about 2 years now and he is one of my few fish that survived the marine velvet nightmare that I went through. Ironicly my CBB never really even showed signs or symptoms of the disease.

Red Coral Aquariums
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I have noticed with CBB's that if they are eating prepared foods they still need 50% of their sustenance to derive from their hunting and picking methods (live food). They don't seem to get down very much food at one time so multiple feedings a day is required. They are one of my favorite fish. Sorry to hear of your loss.
Kevin

untamed
05-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes, I'm 1 for 1 on killing CBBs within a week. I really want to try again, but so far I've resisted.