PDA

View Full Version : Fuzz taking over tank

ickmagnet
05-20-2009, 05:58 AM
I have this weird fuzzy stuff growing all over my rocks. I've taken all the rocks out and cleaned them with a toothbrush but the stuff just grew right back. Anybody know what it is and how to get rid of it (see attached pictures).?

Thanks4429

fooser
05-20-2009, 06:02 AM
In my opinion, looks like you may not have enough flow. What do you have for flow? If that is only appearing in areas of low flow it is a good sign it is a flow issue.

ickmagnet
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think flow is the issue. It is a 135 gallon tank with 2 Koralia 8s going (3250 gph) and a koralia 4. Sometimes I think it is overkill.

Reefer Rob
05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
How old are your rocks? Don't even worry about what your rocks look like for at least the first 6 months. Most live rock has a lot of nutrients bound up in it that needs to be leached out. If you run GFO it will speed up the process.

Myka
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
How old is your tank and what kind of lighting is over it? I can't think of the name of that stuff. Its not a tunicate or sponge, but same sort of idea. You see it in new tanks or older tanks, but it is usually seen in lower flow tanks, or tanks where the powerheads are poorly adjusted. You see it lots on uncured live rock in the LFS too. I will try to find more info on it for you...but I'm having no luck right now.

michika
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Increase your flow in those particular areas, and blast it clean regularly with a turkey baster. Its just crap on your rocks. I have it too, and it came about because I adopted a sand sifting goby who kicked up all the crap in my sand onto my rocks.

Myka
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Foraminiferans sp. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchodds.html

Johnny Reefer
05-20-2009, 04:35 PM
They look like Foraminiferans (Forams, for short) to me. A good thing, as they are filter feeders. But it looks like you are getting a fine dusting of detritus over everything as well. I second the turkey baster method to deal with that. But leave the Forams alone, and get to like them :smile:.

Cheers,

fishytime
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't think flow is the issue. It is a 135 gallon tank with 2 Koralia 8s going (3250 gph) and a koralia 4. Sometimes I think it is overkill.

Bah!....a mere piddle in the pond....see my signature....total of about 9000gph in a 110 display:mrgreen:

My turkey baster is one of my best friends....I "go in" with one once a week....makes a big difference if you can get anything that does settle, back up and suspended in the water column, either to be used by your corals or skimmed out.

ickmagnet
05-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Thye tank has been up and running for over 2 years now. I do have a turkey baster that I use for feeding anemones. Now I'll have another use for it.

Thanks