PDA

View Full Version : New tank design

karazy
05-19-2009, 11:06 PM
here's a new tank design i just got built with a mini fuge in the external overflow box.
tell me what you think!
btw the tank is 30x12x16(LxWxH)

(the diagram is a bit rough)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/new29.png

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/new292.png

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/new293.png

Pazil
05-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I think it is a cool design... but if I were going with that much depth I would want it in the DT.

karazy
05-19-2009, 11:29 PM
I think it is a cool design... but if I were going with that much depth I would want it in the DT.

DT? (and ill add the dimensions to the first post, it really isnt that deep )

Rbacchiega
05-19-2009, 11:38 PM
DT? (and ill add the dimensions to the first post, it really isnt that deep )

display tank. What's the dimensions of the overflow/fuge?

karazy
05-19-2009, 11:45 PM
display tank. What's the dimensions of the overflow/fuge?

umm..i dont have it right in front of me, but i can definitely get back to you on that!

karazy
05-20-2009, 04:26 AM
does anyone see a concern with the weight of the mini fuge on the back?
i'm pretty sure it can hold max 5 gallons, but don't quote me on it:lol:

Myka
05-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Personally, if I were you I would just make a sump. You're going through all the trouble of an external overflow anyway. Will save you all that space behind the tank. I think the tank will look funny projecting out that much from the wall. Plus I think it will look messy being able to see the fuge and overflow through the tank. Also, not sure what you're planning for lighting, but I would make it either 24" or 36" long so you could use T5s.

Just my thoughts, but whatever works for you, right? :)

Blom
05-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Personally, if I were you I would just make a sump. You're going through all the trouble of an external overflow anyway. Will save you all that space behind the tank. I think the tank will look funny projecting out that much from the wall. Plus I think it will look messy being able to see the fuge and overflow through the tank. Also, not sure what you're planning for lighting, but I would make it either 24" or 36" long so you could use T5s.

Just my thoughts, but whatever works for you, right? :)

+1, All I want to see in my display is whats in the tank.

Snaz
05-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Yah TOO heavy. If 5 gallons is correct I think in water alone that is 42 lbs..

5 gallons = 19 litres
19 litres water = 19 kg water
19kg = 42 lbs

does anyone see a concern with the weight of the mini fuge on the back?
i'm pretty sure it can hold max 5 gallons, but don't quote me on it:lol:

BlueAbyss
05-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Yah TOO heavy. If 5 gallons is correct I think in water alone that is 42 lbs..

5 gallons = 19 litres
19 litres water = 19 kg water
19kg = 42 lbs

+1, though I'm not sure how strong silicone is...

Have you considered just making the tank the full dimensions (like, including the display, fuge, overflow, etc) and sectioning it off into those sections? It would be more structurally sound, I think, though your stand would have to be made to accommodate this larger tank.

karazy
05-20-2009, 06:04 AM
+1, though I'm not sure how strong silicone is...

Have you considered just making the tank the full dimensions (like, including the display, fuge, overflow, etc) and sectioning it off into those sections? It would be more structurally sound, I think, though your stand would have to be made to accommodate this larger tank.

tank has already been made. i think i will make some sort of shelf of some sort to help with the weight.

BlueAbyss
05-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Ah, well then, a shelf is an excellent idea!

Myka
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
tank has already been made.

Ah, from the first post it sounded like you were asking for opinions before you get it made. Oops.

Snaz
05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Hmm even with shelf support I think this is an accident waiting to happen. I would rethink this and perhaps drop the hang on box down so it is supported properly or add vertical supports underneath.

karazy
05-20-2009, 11:34 PM
aha! I called colby and he explained to me something so simple that im not sure why i didnt understand before.

so i wont need a shelf, and it'll hold the weight because....every single baffle is holding it onto the tank! so basically, there's almost 8 places where it's held on!

and also, dont forget i said when completely full (might not be the exact quote)
it will hold 5 gallons. now who you you know that runs a fuge/external overflow full to the brim?

BlueAbyss
05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Oh. LOL duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I also read somewhere last night that silicone can hold something like 40lbs per square inch, so a properly run bead of silicone is apparently very strong.

I can second this, since I'm in the process of stripping the plastic off a 29 gallon tank. Bleh. :lol:

new but handy
05-21-2009, 02:23 AM
I would be worried about the pressure on the back pane of glass. How thick is the glass? I have a Hagen 33g and the glass bows about 3/8". It's scary looking. It is made with 1/4" glass

Rbacchiega
05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
makes sense Evan (and why aren't you in school young man?!)...Colby knows what he's talking about. WOOOOOOT! (fyi, I'm rocking in in poker atm...140K!)

muck
05-22-2009, 07:07 PM
makes sense Evan (and why aren't you in school young man?!)...Colby knows what he's talking about. WOOOOOOT! (fyi, I'm rocking in in poker atm...140K!)
You still in Vegas?

Myka
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about the back part falling off, that def won't happen. Silicone is very strong. That's all that holds the corners of our tanks together! What I would be more worried about is the pressure the bottom part of the back piece will put against that back panel. That back tank will essentially be pushing on the centre of the back pane of the display tank.

Snaz
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I think NBH here is correct. The weight of the back tank will pull the main display apart unless the back tank is well supported. Karazy have you had a chance to fill this yet?

I would be worried about the pressure on the back pane of glass. How thick is the glass? I have a Hagen 33g and the glass bows about 3/8". It's scary looking. It is made with 1/4" glass

karazy
05-22-2009, 10:11 PM
i haven't had a chance to fill it up yet, as it's at the shop, but the box will be against the wall so there's no way it would be able to pull the back pane back,
plus i have talked to a few veteran hobbyists (been in the hobby for 20+ years) and they say it should be fine.

Rbacchiega
05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
You still in Vegas?

hahaha I wish! No, back home, but am horribly HORRIBLY addicted to the facebook poker.

horribly

karazy
05-22-2009, 10:15 PM
hahaha I wish! No, back home, but am horribly HORRIBLY addicted to the facebook poker.

horribly

haha, i love it too. yesterday i went in, played three hands, walked out with 4 thousand more dollars. xD

karazy
05-25-2009, 02:19 AM
here's pics of the new tank:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-15.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-8.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/008-6.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-5.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/010-7.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/012-5.jpg

Boomboy
05-25-2009, 04:26 AM
i would definatly build something to hold it up from underneath at the back so that you dont have to worry about the weight but other than that, kinda cool.

edit: im wondering why you have 2 holes in your return and only one in your display tank??

Snaz
05-25-2009, 04:30 AM
It looks awesome! I think I would have silicone all over the place if I tried to build a tank and I'm pretty handy. Good job.

StirCrazy
05-25-2009, 04:42 AM
to bad you already have it built, I would have made the sump the same depth as the tank, that way it will be suported by the stand also. you still could add a few braces made of glass to it as when I look at it I feel there will be some pressure trying to bow the back plate. now this may or maynot be an issue, but bettwr to be safe than sorry.

Steve

BlueAbyss
05-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Nice! Looks great!

karazy
05-25-2009, 10:20 PM
It looks awesome! I think I would have silicone all over the place if I tried to build a tank and I'm pretty handy. Good job.
haha, it was actualy made by colby and jay down at elite aqautics( who did an excellent job)
to bad you already have it built, I would have made the sump the same depth as the tank, that way it will be suported by the stand also. you still could add a few braces made of glass to it as when I look at it I feel there will be some pressure trying to bow the back plate. now this may or maynot be an issue, but better to be safe than sorry.

Steve
i might have mentioned this already, but the back of the external overflow box well be against a wall with foam in between so that if it tries to pull back on the back panel of the tank it cant.
Nice! Looks great!
thank you! im very pleased by the awesome job, and awesome design that jay and colby at elite aquatics made and did.

Boomboy
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
you didnt answer my question, what is the second hole for???

karazy
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
woops! sorry boomboy.

the reason i have two holes for my drain is because one is a emergency drain.
that way if a snail or something every got stuck up in the main standpipe(which is shorter BTW) the water level would start rising, and then it goes down the emergency drain so that the tank doesn't overflow.