PDA

View Full Version : Aquaconnect silicarbon in phosban reactor?

Delphinus
05-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Ran out of carbon the other day, all the LFS had was this Aquaconnect "Silicarbon" product. Instructions are all in German but there's no shortage of "Achtung this" and "Nicht for gerfingerpoken that" and when I opened the package I see it's an *incredibly* fine powder. Did some googling and the only Englishish pages I could find mention that it's a silicate absorber as well as carbon.

So, before I dump this in a TLF phosban reactor, is anyone using this in a phosban reactor that can reassure me it's all OK to use just like normal carbon? I totally see this stuff able to work it's way through the sponge.

Also what sort of volumes per tank volume, and change out frequencies are poeple using? I would normally fill up my phosban reactor about 1/3 to 1/2 and then just change it out every month. Ist still gud ya ya?

Myka
05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I have no idea if it's ok, but considering it's an "incredibly fine powder", I'm wondering if it will get into the water column? I would rinse it really really well if you try it.

Delphinus
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
The only instructions I found online were not to rinse it. :neutral:

But last night offline I received a message that you should use half cup per 100gallons and have really low flow through it. Guess I'll put it on tonight and see how it goes.

christyf5
05-19-2009, 04:59 PM
if I were you I'd put it in some sort of fine mesh bag before putting it in the reactor or run the output into a filter sock (if you run one). Currently I'm running my "phosban" free in the filter but I have it running into a filter sock to catch any particles or "dust".

Delphinus
05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Ohhh good idea, thanks!