PDA

View Full Version : Sump Baffles

Dez
05-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Hello,

Just wondering what your opinions are on baffles in the sump. I'm considering going baffleless as I've run systems with no microbubble problems before using sumps without baffles.

I have a 75 gallon for a sump now and am currently planning the sump and really unsure what to do with baffles or not. I've got lots of glass and can cut and silicone glass no problems but wondering if they're really necessary.

I have no idea what I'm going to be using for a skimmer or calcium reactor etc so I just don't want to limit myself do to size if I put a lot of baffles in the sump. Or if I ever upgrade my equipment I'd be limited to size of stuff if I have baffles in there.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Anybody run baffleless sumps?

Maybe ideas/pics of current set-ups to give me ideas and give me ideas of regrets you've had? Thanks a lot.

Des

Skimmin
05-19-2009, 04:28 AM
I have built quite a few sumps now and with a "Herbie" style drain baffles are not really required. The only important baffles in my opinion are the ones that separate your skimmer from the rest of the sump. Without these you cannot keep your skimmer in a constant level of water which I feel makes the skimmer run less efficiently (this problem can be somewhat fixed with an ATO although there will still be some fluxuation). Also if your skimmer is not recirculated it may be more prone to sucking up 'critters' without a separate skimmer chamber/compartment. Just my two bits.

P.S All of my sumps have been deep sumps( just enough room to handle the tank displacement when the power is off/out.) Might as well get the most volume out of the tanks possible. 6.24imp gal per cubic foot or 7.5 us gal per cubic foot. 1cuFT=1728cuIN

Palster
05-19-2009, 04:40 AM
I have built a few sumps now and with a "Herbie" style drain baffles are not really required. The only important baffles in my opinion are the ones that separate your skimmer from the rest of the sump. Without these you cannot keep your skimmer in a constant level of water which I feel makes the skimmer run less efficiently. Also if your skimmer is not recirculated it may be more prone to sucking up 'critters' without a separate skimmer chamber/compartment. Just my two bits.

I absolutely agree with what Skimmin said. The first sump that I had did not have baffles and I could never get my skimmer adjusted properly because the water level was constantly changing and unless you have some kind of auto top off hooked up to your sump the water level is never going to be constant. Even with an ATO it will still vary enough to cause fluctuations with most protein skimmers. Personnaly I would always want to have baffles in my sump even if the flow was low enough not to cause micro bubble issues.

Dez
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
How much would you set aside for a skimmer compartment to be compatible with most skimmers? Do most people put their skimmers in the area where the main tank drains into? Thanks for the responses so far.

Des

Myka
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
The skimmer space depends on the size of your main tank. With your sump being 75g I imagine your display tank is fairly large. 14x14" is usually enough space for a skimmer up to about 250 gallons, but that's really squishing it in.

mike31154
05-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Do most skimmers have to be run in the sump? When I set up my basement sump in the future, I was planning on keeping the skimmer external. Any major concerns about doing this? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'll be building a sump with a used tank(s) as well, so tagging along. Also with regard to the skimmer, I'd like to feed it strictly from existing plumbing (no extra pump), it will be a simple air stone, counter current DIY job. Keeping it external & in the basement, I should be able to make it six feet tall if I want, no?

Dez
05-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Skimmers don't have to be run in sump. I've run external skimmers before, but for me, it's just peace of mind if I have skimmer failure, that it'd be either in the sump or over the sump. Anybody have some pictures of baffle designs that have worked really well for them that they can post? Thanks.

Lance
05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I have fairly high flow through my sump and run a fairly large skimmer (MR3), and without baffles, microbubbles would definitely be a problem. My skimmer is external but over the sump, so it doesn't take any room up yet there is no fear of a flood. My sump is 70g tank with a return section (13g), refugium (20g) and drain section (20g). The drain section and refugium have live rock in them.

Rbacchiega
05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Dez, check out Melev's reef...he's got loads of different sump designs. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that suits your needs.