PDA

View Full Version : Can crushed oyster shell be used as a substrate?

Michael
07-07-2003, 02:31 PM
I was wondering if it would be a viable substrate.
It is pure oyster shell that is crushed. No other additives.
I saw it at a store selling farmer stuff. They would use it to mix into the soil to raise calcium level.
So...
Why not in a salt water aquarium?

Thanks

Michael

Quinn
07-07-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm probably not thinking this through, but wouldn't that cause a huge rise in pH?

Aquattro
07-07-2003, 03:36 PM
pH would be fine, but oyster shell is very high in phosphates. I wouldn't use it.

Don E
07-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Don't people use oyster shells as a major ingredient in DIY live rock?

Aquattro
07-07-2003, 05:29 PM

Again, I wouldn't, but some people do. When I bought my 75, the guy had oyster shell as a substrate. Even the fish had cyano growing on them!! Seriously, there was more cyano in that tank than I'd ever seen and he said it started as soon as he started the tank and got worse as time went by.
I can see no reason to use oyster shell; if you can't afford or don't want to use aragonite sand, crushed coral or silica sand are both viable low-cost alternatives. Glass beads have even been used successfully.

Skimmerking
07-07-2003, 06:10 PM
I have got oyster shells in the DIY rock and i have CC 2" on the bottom covered over by 2.5 " of aragonite sand.
I hope i dont have to rip apart my tank. :evil: :evil:

Skimmerking
07-07-2003, 08:23 PM
if i have the phophates from this DIY rock from the Oyster Shells, what will take it out.

I have a chance to get a scrubber will this work. it takes out phophates,ammonia, nitrates so
I'm thinking this might work.

Michael
07-07-2003, 08:25 PM

Again, I wouldn't, but some people do. When I bought my 75, the guy had oyster shell as a substrate. Even the fish had cyano growing on them!! Seriously, there was more cyano in that tank than I'd ever seen and he said it started as soon as he started the tank and got worse as time went by.
I can see no reason to use oyster shell; if you can't afford or don't want to use aragonite sand, crushed coral or silica sand are both viable low-cost alternatives. Glass beads have even been used successfully.

Thanks for the insight. The only reason I was thinking of using oyster shell was because a huge bag was 25$ . The aragonite sand would have been over 100$ for the same amount.
Currently, I do have aragonite sand in my aquarium, but need more.
And I definitely don't want cyano again!!

Guess I'll pick up some aragonite sand.

Michael

StirCrazy
07-08-2003, 12:33 AM
The only reason I was thinking of using oyster shell was because a huge bag was 25$ .

Michael

and if you go to a farm feed store it is only 5.00/50lb bag. which makes it hurt even more not being able to use it..

I would sugest crushed coral. (brad should have enuf to make 30 or 50 lbs of rock :mrgreen: )

Steve