PDA

View Full Version : re sealing bottom panel

pastout
05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
so i know there are some people on here who have done this and im looking for a litle guidance. a few days ago i picked up a 40 gallon tank 36x18x16 with a bottom panel thats silicone seal has let go. i have no intention to use this for fish it is actualy for dart frogs. so i olny need it to hold 3- 4 inchs of water max. so i was planning on removing all the silicone from the bottom panel and re siliconing it to the sides. what type of silicone should i use? can i get away with the tube that all glass makes for the bottom panel?the one you put in a caulking gun not squeeze by hand) or is there something else you would sugest ? and what type of prep should i do to the glass? or is this a bad idea all together?

pterfloth
05-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Remove the old silicone and then clean the glass with acetone to make sure that the silicone sticks. I removed and replaced a side panel on a 90 once and it was fine for years. I used aquarium safe silicone. You can buy tubes of it that go into a caulking gun. I think I got it from Home Depot.

so i know there are some people on here who have done this and im looking for a litle guidance. a few days ago i picked up a 40 gallon tank 36x18x16 with a bottom panel thats silicone seal has let go. i have no intention to use this for fish it is actualy for dart frogs. so i olny need it to hold 3- 4 inchs of water max. so i was planning on removing all the silicone from the bottom panel and re siliconing it to the sides. what type of silicone should i use? can i get away with the tube that all glass makes for the bottom panel?the one you put in a caulking gun not squeeze by hand) or is there something else you would sugest ? and what type of prep should i do to the glass? or is this a bad idea all together?

hillegom
05-19-2009, 12:50 AM
What pterfloth said
Very important to remove ALL the old silicone, as the new does not stick to the old.
I have done this and used alcohol, methyl hydride or is it methanol? same thing? to clean the glass.
Anyway, it did not leak afterwards