PDA

View Full Version : suitable reef safe fish for a 20 gallon

inspire
07-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi, i just setup my 20 gallon and i was wondering what fish i can have that will be suitable to put in after my tank is cycled. I am planning to keep corals so reef safe fish are a must. I know that i cant have many fish beacuse i only have a 20 gallon, but what do you guys suggest as good reef safe fishes?
I am thinking of maybe a pair of clowns and a blenny. What fish besides these are good for a 20 gallon tank but still provide lots of color and are reef safe?

Don E
07-07-2003, 02:31 AM
Firefish are a good size for a 20 and very beautiful.

Damsels are interesting and animated, and will do very well but have a pi$$y temperament. Likewise dottybacks- very flashy but I had one and it was a terror.

don

Dorkel Marine 1
07-07-2003, 06:51 AM
I have a 27 gal. tank which includes a percula clown, a damsel, and the star attraction a bicolor blenny. Thats the max I can have. I tried to add one more fish and know way. I think your idea of two clowns and a blenny is ideal. Being biased of course I think you will love the bicolor blenny.

George

inspire
07-07-2003, 08:52 AM
is the bicolor blenny the same as a scooter blenny but just two colors? i love the look and the personality of the scooter blenny, does the bicolor blenny physically resemble and behave like the scooter blenny?

Bob I
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
is the bicolor blenny the same as a scooter blenny but just two colors? i love the look and the personality of the scooter blenny, does the bicolor blenny physically resemble and behave like the scooter blenny?

The Bicolor Blennie is in no way the same as a Scooter Blenny, as a Scooter is a Dragonet, and a Bicolor is a blenny. The BB has much more personality than a scooter.

sumpfinfishe
07-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Two other fish that would add lots of color and remain fairly small are the Royal Gramma and the Six-Line Wrasse. Gobbies are also another good choice, but not if your gonna keep a Blenny.

I have a six-line in my 27gl and it's gotta be the most interesting fish in my reef :cool:

cheers, Rich

Delphinus
07-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Also a scooter blenny doesn't belong in a 20g. They simply do not last long in captivity, the longest I have ever seen or heard of them lasting is about 18 months or so (and usually it's a lot less). Even if they eat prepared foods, they eventually starve unless there is a tremendous supply of live foods offered, way more than anything less than a hundred gallons or more could ever hope to provide, unfortunately.. Sadly, dragonets (scooters, mandarins, psychedelics) LOOK like ideal small tank fish, but they're not.