PDA

View Full Version : Why is it.....

christyf5
05-16-2009, 10:13 PM
that white eggcrate grows the brightest greenest of algaes while the black eggcrate does not?

i have a frag rack from oceanic made with the black eggcrate, no problems from day one (except for some cyano)

then I decided to make another one myself with the white eggcrate and its growing this lime green bubbly snot like nobodys business, and now its in other various parts of the tank. Easy to vacuum but what a pain in the arse!

Anyone else had this problem or do I just have a really green thumb? :razz:

Zoaelite
05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
I have never used black egg crate (I know what your talking about with the algae on my white stuff though). The only possible reason I could give you is that the black would absorb all of the bulbs energy not reflecting it for growth while the white would do the exact opposite? I think we need something like red egg crate for a test.
Levi

Chaloupa
05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
I've got it too....drives me nuts. The white just gets covered in gunk and the black from what I've heard doesn't at all....drives me nuts!

Borderjumper
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I've got two 2x4 sheets of black eggcrate Christy.. next time your down we can cut you some pieces to replace the white.

christyf5
05-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I've got two 2x4 sheets of black eggcrate Christy.. next time your down we can cut you some pieces to replace the white.

I love you :razz:

christyf5
05-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I have never used black egg crate (I know what your talking about with the algae on my white stuff though). The only possible reason I could give you is that the black would absorb all of the bulbs energy not reflecting it for growth while the white would do the exact opposite? I think we need something like red egg crate for a test.
Levi

good thinking, that sounds about logical.

Toxik
05-17-2009, 02:32 AM
I was looking for some eggcrate today at home depot couldn't find it. Where are you guys buy the black stuff from?

Myka
05-17-2009, 03:58 AM
I would like to find some of the black stuff too. :D The green algae doesn't show up so much on the black so much because green is closer to black than it is to white, so it stands out more on the white.

pterfloth
05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Rona in Richmond on Elmbridge has black eggcrate. The have it most of the time. I bought some there a week ago.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
The black egg crate absorbs the light instead of reflecting it is one reason I think. Props for the Oceanic One though! :mrgreen:

that white eggcrate grows the brightest greenest of algaes while the black eggcrate does not?

i have a frag rack from oceanic made with the black eggcrate, no problems from day one (except for some cyano)

then I decided to make another one myself with the white eggcrate and its growing this lime green bubbly snot like nobodys business, and now its in other various parts of the tank. Easy to vacuum but what a pain in the arse!

Anyone else had this problem or do I just have a really green thumb? :razz: