PDA

View Full Version : Next meeting-this month's saltie topic is initial set up

sharuq1
05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
The meetings will now be held first Sunday of every month at 7pm. For June it's at my house: pm me for the address; unless you already know it in which case just show up.

If there is enough interest I will do a small demo on how to do an initial setup of a small tank (no sump). So if you are new and you've never measured salinity or used a test kit, this might be helpful. This nano will get built upon slowly over time with donations of equipment and frags by anyone caring to donate. With each meeting everyone who comes can put their name in a box and some time down the line we will do a draw for the nano. The more meetings you attend, the more chances you have to win the tank.

For more info. or if you have questions, comments or helpful hints call Jim Sayers at 597-1134 or via email jsayers@shaw.ca.

Any donations for the nano (frags/equipment/anything) and support for the new club would be very welcome.

Any stores wishing to donate will receive public thanks on this forum, any info. pamphlets we put together and everywhere we open our big mouths! :lol::mrgreen:

Looking for lights for the nano, a little tiny heater, live rock and a small powerhead.

Oxymoron
05-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi kelly
I can donate the live rock and some corals when the time comes.

sharuq1
05-16-2009, 05:02 AM
I was able to pick up a 5gallon tank tonight! Although its used it's in quite good condition and it is rimless which is quite attractive :mrgreen: Once things are set up I'll start a build thread on this with proper itemized kudos to all donators. We really appreciate your help, we could not do this without you!

So far a great big thank you goes out to
Oceanic Corals
fragnplug
Oxymoron
....for some great donations to come for this little project!

mik
05-21-2009, 04:24 AM
what else is needed for the nano? dimentions? i have some african padoc solid stock wood if you want i could maybe build a stand! pm me with some ideas and dimentions.

sharuq1
05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Tank is 40longcmx20widecmx25cm or so high. If you could build a stand that would be totally great!

Stuff we have coming so far...

Rock: Oceanic Corals, Oxymoron
Tank: me
Corals: Oceanic Corals, noirsphynx, paddyob, fragNplug, me
Flow: seio fr/ Oceanic Corals
Heater: me

Need....
Light: don't have

Sure, if someone else does it (I'm not handy)....
Stand: don't have
Sump: don't have and likely will not be adding one
ATO: if anyone can rig one up you're welcome to

mik
05-22-2009, 01:40 AM
i might have a heater how short are we looking for? what about a skimmer?

sharuq1
05-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Doesn't have a skimmer. If the heater is in the 25cm or less range it would fit.

sharuq1
05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Stand was a no go due to time constraints from mik, but that's ok, it's a little tank so a stand is not really nescessary.

I found a heater yesterday at a garage sale that I believe will likely work. Just need some lights. So far I only have a 9watt pc of unknown K that came with the little elite "hood".

If anyone has an aqualight mini or another 9watt (or more) fixture laying around, even from a broken desk lamp or something we could use it. The hood only has a 9 watt light in it, which is not quite enough. Or if someone here knows about electrical and could wire in another place in the hood for a 2nd bulb? Also if anyone has bulbs we need those as well.

sharuq1
06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Next meeting is tomorrow at my place. Call Jim at 403-597-1134 or me at 755-9862 if you need directions.

sharuq1
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Meeting's tonight, 7pm.

sharuq1
06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
The meeting was a lot of fun, we just need more people! Will post pics as soon as I have time (I have quite a few exams the next couple weeks).
We are planning to do a summer potluck & BBQ, more info.to come on it later. Please post when a good time for you to come is so we can get an idea. :D