PDA

View Full Version : A thought on lighting

Slick Fork
05-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, This was going to start out as a rant about suppliers but I decided I'd rather just talk about lighting...

So, I've given up my MH light set-up and am putting together a retro-fit t-5 (ok here comes the mini-supplier rant because it IS background) The MH fixture went a week and a half ago, simply put because I had a buyer with cash in hand. A little interest from others but that doesn't always translate into a sale. I didn't have any of my t5 parts at that time but figured all the websites showed stuff in stock so I could go ahead and start placing my orders and everything would come together nicely with a minor blackout period for the critters. Anyways, after a lot of stress with delayed shipments incorrect orders etc. My stuff has finally started arriving and I was working on putting everything together tonight. I won't point fingers at anyone because in 99% of the cases it wasn't even the retailer at fault but the supplier behind them so I couldn't even do a lot of yelling. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here.

So, for the last week and a half I have had my corals under an old style 4 bulb 36" tek fixture with a really bad case of salt corrosion on the reflectors and you know what... my tank doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it should in fact, it doesn't look bad at all. I have Acro's and Monti's and a few LPS, even the clam on the sandbed isn't looking too much worse for wear. This is after 2 days of complete darkness and 10 days of what should be sub-standard lighting.

Now, I'm not suggesting that long-term success can be had in a 110 gallon tank with a 36" 4 bulb light but it has made me consider the sheer amount of energy we throw at our tanks and whether or not it's really necessary. My tank was under a 2x250watt HQI Metal Halide with 2x54 watt t5's. They have been surviving without any real colour loss (in fact some have gained a little colour) under a fixture consuming a third the energy.

Any thoughts? For the record, I plan to have all 8 bulbs of my new fixture firing over the tank tommorow or thursday at the latest so I don't plan to test my luck and see how little light these can actually survive with!

BlueAbyss
05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Well as far as stuff coloring up a little, I would assume that some color loss is inevitable in some species that prefer a more moderate light level, when placed in areas with a lot of light? Like under 2 x 250W metal halides? Or the spectrum is better for either viewing some colors (like how reds, oranges, and yellows seem to wash out under some MHs) or the pigments are responding to the different spectrum by absorbing or reflecting more or less of the spectrum that is now available?

Gah, I've been awake too long. :lol:

Snaz
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I can't really comment on your system but I think in general light requirements are slightly inflated.

From my own little tank with 52w of PC light underneath which I have Porite coral and a couple of little pieces of digitata that as per rule of thumb have no business being under such low light. The digitata is certainly growing and the porite coral looks fine, it even has regenerated a bald spot where my sexy shrimp were picking at it when it was first introduced. Will they survive? Time will tell.

So yes from my limited experience I think light requirements are inflated but that is probably due to ensuring greater successes.