PDA

View Full Version : Brown algae normal?

torrid_07
05-13-2009, 05:40 AM
hey everyone, im just starting my 75gal aquarium, i have had it running for about 3 weeks now i have some live rock and 2 damsels in there to cycle it. im starting to get alot of brown algae everywhere. is this normal? its all over the rock and all over the subtrate as well. any help would be awesome. thanks!

mark
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
You'll find your new tank going through lot of different little phases and a dusting of diatoms being one of them.

fishytime
05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the board....Sounds like what you have is diatoms....as Mark said most new setups go through an algae phase and the algae will subside as the tank settles in and matures. Diatoms can be a product of three things...1) light,how long are you running your lights for. 2) nutrients, what and how much are you feeding? and 3) a lack of flow, how much water movement do you have in the tank right now?

torrid_07
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
i have 192w of t5 lighting. thats on for 11 hours. should i shave down the time a little bit?
i feed 1 maybe 2 times daily. (small portions)
and i definetly need some more flow. how much should i have in a 75g i was thinking of getting the koralia powerheads. 2 x koralia 3s or 4s