PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! pH is 8.5!!

alfredshouse
05-13-2009, 03:03 AM
I have a huge spike in my pH, it tested at 8.5. I did a 20% water change and it didnt budge. Any suggestions on how to lower it? And how fast can I lower it? Thanks!!:cry::cry:

TrailFish
05-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Don't Panic.

What are you using to measure ph? Before taking drastic measures, I'd be sure you have a correct reading. pH 8.5 is not deathly critical but not something you would want to sustain longterm. Try to use another test method or kit to confirm. If required CO2 could be used to lower pH but you need to be careful to do it slowly over time. I have heard of some people using soda water in an emergency.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
05-13-2009, 03:12 AM
I have a huge spike in my pH, it tested at 8.5. I did a 20% water change and it didnt budge. Any suggestions on how to lower it? And how fast can I lower it? Thanks!!:cry::cry:

A PH of 8.5 is not an emergency. Just keep your eye on it, don't let it fluctuate to quickly. I certainly would not worry about 8.5......

Zoaelite
05-13-2009, 03:22 AM
A PH of 8.5 is not an emergency. Just keep your eye on it, don't let it fluctuate to quickly. I certainly would not worry about 8.5......

Agreed, it takes allot for pH to spike (Unless you went crazy with the additives) and trying to change it manually is only going to cause future problems. IMO PH up/ PH down chemicals were only invented to ruin peoples tanks, a properly maintained tank will NEVER have a pH problem. Besides reef tanks run at 8.0-8.5 PH anyways.
Levi

Delphinus
05-13-2009, 04:52 AM
8.5 is a perfectly normal number for a reef during daytime hours (for kicks, test again in the morning before lights on and see how far it's dropped - a "typical" reef might fluctuate between 7.8 to 8.2 with a calcium reactor, and maybe 8.0 to 8.4 without. But each tank is different. Heck, you could have 8.6 and not worry about it.)

Also, something to keep in mind, pH in and of itself is almost a meaningless number. Think of it as a composite index like the Dow Jones or something - if it's up it means more stocks are doing well, if it's down it means more stocks are not doing well, but it doesn't tell you what stocks are up and what are down. pH is little like that. It's the result of other parameters coming together and different things will pull it up or down, by itself it doesn't tell you what is what. I don't even bother testing pH in my tank anymore. Focus instead on things like NO3, PO4, Ca, Alk and Mg. My $0.02, HTH. :)