PDA

View Full Version : The day I've been dreading...Pump problems.

Jboy
07-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone.

I knew this day was eventually going to come, and now I need some advice. I have a 93 gallon corner tank, with a sump that has been running for 2.5 years now. I've recently noticed that the waterflow into the drip pan in the sump is now only 50% of what is was originally. There are no obstructions in the tank, so this can only mean one of thee things:

-The impellor in the pump (A Lifeguard Quiet one) needs to be cleaned.
-Either the hose from the pump into the tank or the return hose is partially clogged.
-Over time, the punp has become less effiecient.

The question is.... How the heck do I clean these without destroying my living room? Everything is below the tank, and they are all connected. Once I disconnect one hose, water will be everywhere.

Any advice/ tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

Aquattro
07-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Don't you have an overflow? What happens in a power failure? Can you post some pics of this setup?

Jboy
07-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi Brad,

Yes, I do. My only problem is disconnecting the pump from the sump. I am going to try empty enough water from the tank so that when i turn the power off, the water level in the sump will be lower than the outlet. Then, I will take the pump out and clean it.

My pump is in a very awkward position, so it's going to be tough to do it any other way.

Wish me luck, and thanks

Jason

Aquattro
07-05-2003, 06:20 PM
I take it the pump is plumbed thru a hole in the side of the sump....can you put a PVC plug on the inside of that bulkhead?

Jack
07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Anyone reading this and are going be to plumbing a tank use unions and ball valves. It's pricey but worth it.. even if it's 2.5 years down the road :wink:

Jboy
07-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Thanks. I did figure it out.

Took all the water out of the sump, then took the pump off. A bit of wtare spilled out, but not much. Next time, I'll be able to do it without spilling a drop.

Bad news is that the impellor was a bit wobbly, and when I plugged the pump back in, it turned only only at about 20 rpm. Took it to LFS, where dude informed me that while they should last longer than 2.5 years, it looked like the bearings in my pump had gone. Not sure if he was right, but it was no longer pumping any water.

New one was $420.00.....

I hope the anenome and clownfish appreciate it.

Jason

Aquattro
07-06-2003, 01:23 AM
New one was $420.00.....

Um, hate to bring this up, but isn't that pump $169 at J&L?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=wp-qone

Jack
07-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Err, 420$? J&L aquatics has them for 169$ Where are you located?

Jack
07-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Doh, didn't mean to echo Brads post. I have a slow computer.. or is it slow operator? :rolleyes:

Chad
07-06-2003, 05:03 AM
Now that is going to be a burn if that is the case..

Ouch

Chad