PDA

View Full Version : School sucks!

fishoholic
05-12-2009, 08:55 PM
All I have to say is that I'm too old to be going back to school :boom: I'm working full time and taking night classes at Grant MacEwan College every Tues. and Thurs. night. I'm taking Intro. to Sociology. I have to say my school work is seriously cutting into my canreef time :rant: Sorry, just thought I'd wine a little :mrgreen:

Fox
05-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Heh, I feel your pain man...my wife and have been going back to school for the past year for night classes twice a week...takes a lot out of ya especially with 2 kids...I took the summer off and am not going back till sept but with the grades we have been getting its been a real motivator!!!

whatcaneyedo
05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm the opposite. I cant stand working, I just keep going back to school praying that if I get enough education I'll one day be able to get a job that I dont hate.

What we all need is to get paid for playing in our fish tanks...

karazy
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
haha, im sooo excited for the school year to end.

quote: "What we all need is to get paid for playing in our fish tanks..."

work, or open at an LFS :p

Zoaelite
05-13-2009, 12:01 AM
School for me is a love hate relationship, I love it because after another 6 years I will be Dr. Morgan. I hate it because 5 classes, 2 jobs, homework, friends, various animals and a fish tank make you a little crazy at times. Takes up so much time though, K-12 is 13 years and then your BA is another 4, PHD another 4 on top of there. Geez I'm not even 20 yet, what the heck am I going to do with the rest of my life:mrgreen:?
Levi

Lance
05-13-2009, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=fishoholic;420107]All I have to say is that I'm too old to be going back to school :boom:

Never too old to learn more Laurie. :wink:
Good luck with your classes.

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't mind school, Allways up fro learning new things. Just can't sit for very long any more.....

Ian
05-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Ok well i guess i fall into the love school catagory....2 science degree's,teaching degree and working on the masters....yeah I am wierd

christyf5
05-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm just finishing up a course myself. I did 3 nights a week and worked full time. Ding! I. AM. DONE. Almost halfway through my practicum (2 weeks) and then I can have my life back hopefully :razz:

JOEL
05-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Always good to learn something new. I have three trades under my belt and who knows
what the future holds.

mark
05-13-2009, 02:24 AM
I would go to school if work paid for it and I went during work hours

fishoholic
05-13-2009, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=fishoholic;420107]All I have to say is that I'm too old to be going back to school :boom:

Never too old to learn more Laurie. :wink:
Good luck with your classes.

Not to old to learn, just to old after getting up at 5:30am to get to work on time for 8am, then work all day with children (at a daycare centre) until 5pm, eat dinner at work then go to school for 6pm, then try to stay awake during a 3 hour long lecture (from 6pm-9pm) with only a 10 min. break!

I would go to school if work paid for it and I went during work hours

That would be much better :mrgreen:

lorenz0
05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
after working for the past 2.5 years after dropping college i honestly can't wait to go back. working a trade has for sure given me a reason to get a higher education. You need to sweat and bleed for pennies before you appreciate what you can obtain with a good education.

Rbacchiega
05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I enjoyed University, but I think I enjoyed the parties at University better...

Levi...not even 20?!?! great, now I feel old

AndyL
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I've been saying it for 14 years now... "I'll go to university next year" :mrgreen:

Maybe I should just stop saying it - cuz I'm pretty sure it'll never happen. Perhaps I've got the opposite view from lorenz0, I like working in the trades - even if I did graduate(? ok broke body parts so I was forced) into the desk job...

I hated school with a passion, couldn't wait to be done high school, all these safety and training courses I do are bad enough reminders... I think I'll probably just stop saying "next year" and just smile every time I show an engineer or architect his/her head is up his/her <bleeep> - cuz at least I didn't waste 4+ years to loose my common sense :mrgreen:

lorenz0
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, i love what i do. I hate the crap that comes with it and being the one breaking my back for 1/8th of what i produce. All i have to show for it is a busted back, an old injury getting worse and a horriable income. All the mechanics i have met throughout the years have told me "get out while you still can" and its true. I want to find a part time desk job somewhere while i am upgrading. I also hate the hours that most shops have these days, 12 hour days suck. 2 of those 3 days off are spent trying to regain enough energy just to get through another week. lol also when you have the phrase "F my life" on your tool box, that says alot about how much you enjoy your job.

Rbacchiega
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
you're a mechanic? My bro is a heavy duty one for Nortrux...

and I just realized that was like saying "you're from Canada? So you must know Tony in Toronto"

sorry

lorenz0
05-14-2009, 01:27 AM
well an apprentice. mostly do transmission work and the work that pays out horriable

i can't wait for school, just deciding on courses right now

AndyL
05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Hey Lorenz0 - on the bright side - you've probably got the softest hands out of everyone here :D

Want to do some transmission work? :)

fishoholic
05-14-2009, 04:24 AM
and I just realized that was like saying "you're from Canada? So you must know Tony in Toronto"

sorry

:lol: Too funny, my cousin Lindy is married to a nice man who's name is Tony and they live in Toronto :mrgreen: (sorry couldn't help myself)

I'd be quite happy about school if I didn't have to work full time while taking classes. Unfortunately I can't afford to quit my job and just take classes. I mean if I did that how on earth could I afford all my extra expenses that come with this hobby? :wink:

I'm going back to school to become a social worker, unfortunately the sociology course is a prerequisite to the social work program so I have to suck it up and pass this class.

Lance
05-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Yes, working full time and going to school are tough. I did it for one year: worked a 40 hour week and went to school Monday to Friday. No way could I hack that now.

fishoholic
05-14-2009, 04:35 AM
Yes, working full time and going to school are tough. I did it for one year: worked a 40 hour week and went to school Monday to Friday. No way could I hack that now.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing, I work 40hrs/week and I go to class Tues. & Thurs. nights. I have to say college was much less tiring when I was 21 as compared to now that I am 31.

lorenz0
05-14-2009, 04:37 AM
:lol: Too funny, my cousin Lindy is married to a nice man who's name is Tony and they live in Toronto :mrgreen: (sorry couldn't help myself)

I'd be quite happy about school if I didn't have to work full time while taking classes. Unfortunately I can't afford to quit my job and just take classes. I mean if I did that how on earth could I afford all my extra expenses that come with this hobby? :wink:

I'm going back to school to become a social worker, unfortunately the sociology course is a prerequisite to the social work program so I have to suck it up and pass this class.

i'm in the same boat. just trying to figure out a schedual where i can get a job with at least 24 hours a week. how many classes are you taking now?

Hey Lorenz0 - on the bright side - you've probably got the softest hands out of everyone here :D

Want to do some transmission work? :)

i prefer 75/90 as my moisturizer lol. i was actually still dirty from work when i met up with my last girl friend and she asked if i went tanning, nope just a nice brown from oil absorbing into my skin. btw what type of transmission work... i mostly do r/r auto transmissions and replace clutches

AndyL
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
i prefer 75/90 as my moisturizer lol. i was actually still dirty from work when i met up with my last girl friend and she asked if i went tanning, nope just a nice brown from oil absorbing into my skin. btw what type of transmission work... i mostly do r/r auto transmissions and replace clutches
Have a 2wd TH400 that needs to be freshened up a bit. Was considering taking it somewhere - then realized I don't like any of the remaining shops in calgary... So then I considered ordering the parts and doing it myself - then I realized, I've never even managed to change an A/T filter without having the transmission fail shortly thereafter... :mrgreen: it's good to know ones limitations