PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp issues

freezetyle
05-12-2009, 03:42 AM
I recently bought a cleaner shrimp after reading and reading about how personable they are. i seem to have gotten a really shy shrimp. he has been in my system for about three weeks and all he does is hide in my rock work. I though for the first week or two he would be a little timid and didn't think anything of it but now i would like to see the little bugger. any suggestions aside from switching up my rock work or getting a new/another shrimp?

my2rotties
05-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Start holding out your hand and feeding them a little. They need to relate you to food.

I recently bought a cleaner shrimp after reading and reading about how personable they are. i seem to have gotten a really shy shrimp. he has been in my system for about three weeks and all he does is hide in my rock work. I though for the first week or two he would be a little timid and didn't think anything of it but now i would like to see the little bugger. any suggestions aside from switching up my rock work or getting a new/another shrimp?

PoonTang
05-12-2009, 04:32 AM
They always do better in pairs or more. Singles always seem to be shy.

my2rotties
05-12-2009, 04:35 AM
I can't say my pair of cleaners is social at all. They set up a cleaning station at the back corner of the tank, and only move at lights out.

fishay
05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Same thing happened when I got my cleaner shrimp. I didn't see him for more than a week but then I started to see him out whenever I would feed the fish. Now he is out all the time. I've never fed him by hand but he still climbs all over my fingers when I put my hand in the tank. I would say just give it more time.

paddyob
05-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I got one a week ago, and i cant get near the tank without him coming to check me out. unfortunately it looks like he has that "black spot" disease that cleaners can have. i noticed it very light in the store and was told it was not that... and if any problems to let him know... too bad he wont be coming out of the tank alive. i have had some bad luck this year.

fishytime
05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
What kind of cleaner shrimp is it? The "skunk" cleaners are usually pretty bold and will set up a station up front, but cleaners like "peppermints" dont like intense light and will tend to hide in a shady area during the "daylight" hours.

freezetyle
05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
What kind of cleaner shrimp is it? The "skunk" cleaners are usually pretty bold and will set up a station up front, but cleaners like "peppermints" dont like intense light and will tend to hide in a shady area during the "daylight" hours.

sorry it is a skunk cleaner. I think i may try the hand feeding solution which i finally see him again. although if you say there more sociable in pairs i wouldn't mind getting another one. thanks for all of the suggestions

Aleks
05-13-2009, 03:20 AM

my peppermint is very active during the day, all over the tank

hillegom
05-13-2009, 04:29 AM
I only have one skunk and he comes out to the front all the time, and crawls over my hands to pick at the skin.