PDA

View Full Version : Dip for red planaria?

sharuq1
05-11-2009, 04:18 AM
What kind of dip is effective for red planaria? I recently acquired a few corals from a very infested system but I want to make sure the planaria is good and dead before I even think about putting it in my display.

So far I did the old freshwater dip and swish as well as a lugols dip but I'm not sure if that's enough? I don't have access to any fancy dips here in red deer, but I think I may have some levimasole kicking around somewhere.... Thoughts?

What about eggs? How long do they take to hatch? How long would I need to QT before it would be safe to add anything to the main system? I'm not set up for a good qt right now as I do not have extra lighting or $ for that. Corals are being held in a 2.5 gal with a heater and a very small PH with spray-bar for now.

Myka
05-11-2009, 04:32 AM
What kind of corals are they? I would put in QT for a month or so. What kind of light are you usign for them right now?

sharuq1
05-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Just got them tonight so they aren't under any lighting, just in a tiny little 2.5g I threw together setup somewhat beside my tank, so may get a bit of ambient light but not much. One is an acro (looks almost dead), there's a favia and there is some sort of leather but can't tell what it is due to its condition. This wasn't exactly planned hence my lack of preparedness, lol.

Myka
05-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Hmmm...well corals generally don't react too well to fw dips ime. I have had a couple die from Lugol's as well. This is why I quit dipping corals that don't appear to need. I lost too many otherwise healthy corals. Grr. Unfortunately, yours do need the dips.

That's too bad you aren't setup to deal with this, as I don't think it would be wise to add them to your tank in the condition they are in. Honestly, if they are just small frags i would either give them away to someone who is prepared to deal with the issue, or toss em. Sorry, not much help!!

sharuq1
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies Myka. I may end up just giving them away or something, going to have to think on it as hubby always wants to save everything :razz: (ok I'm bad for that too :redface:)

Anymore suggestions please throw them out there :smile:

Ryan7
05-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Does your system have a lot of current? I have found Red Planaria don't survive in heavy currents.

sharuq1
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM
They are not in my system as of yet (QT), however I do not think I would have enough current to blow them away should they take a foothold in there as the LPS would also blow away.

hillegom
05-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Can you get ahold of any flatworm exit? Worked for me, didn't kill anything. But you have to follow directions to the letter. Read this:
http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html