PDA

View Full Version : Unknown critter

Hangfire
05-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Hello everyone

I was wondering if someone out there can identify this little critter that's in my tank. I've been looking online and can't find anything that looks similar enough to be sure what it is. I'm thinking that it's a colonial form of sea squirt, but that's a blind guess that this point. Thanks.

Leah
05-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey, very cool, but no clue

Oxymoron
05-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Perhaps a sort of sponge?

Zoaelite
05-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Absolutly no Idea, does it move or is benthic?

tlo
05-10-2009, 06:31 PM
It looks like a type of sponge. I have some of these in my tank as well, mostly in dark areas.

justinl
05-10-2009, 07:09 PM
looks like one of the thousands of species of sponge to me. good luck finding out which one...

naesco
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone

I was wondering if someone out there can identify this little critter that's in my tank. I've been looking online and can't find anything that looks similar enough to be sure what it is. I'm thinking that it's a colonial form of sea squirt, but that's a blind guess that this point. Thanks.

Hangfire, if they are long grey-white tubes the surface of which is shiny in appearance it is a Porifera Clathrina sponge. they are found in sheltered areas such as overhangs and rock crevices in the wild.

Hangfire
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks everyone! They are sessile, and do appear to be shiny. It's located in a more shelter part of the tank, with good but moderate flow. I've been feeding the tank every three or four days with some filter-feeder food - all the tube worms and the sponges seem to be doing very well as a result. Can't wait to see how this one changes as it grows. Thanks again for the responses.