PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a wavebox crap out on them?

christyf5
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Died yesterday. There is power to the 6061 wave controller (lights are on etc). And the silver driver box makes a little noise that coincides with the lights, so its getting power. But the pump itself doesn't do anything. I've taken apart the pump and cleaned it, there aren't any deposits or anything inhibiting it from working. I've also consulted the manual and no go.

Any other suggestions or do I need a new motor block?

Veng68
05-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Try contacting Roger V at the Tunze forum on RC. I've heard he is pretty helpful. Is your item under warranty still?

Cheers,
Vic

christyf5
05-09-2009, 11:57 PM
thanks Vic, I'll give that a try. Sadly its not under warranty :neutral:

Tom R
05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Died yesterday. There is power to the 6061 wave controller (lights are on etc). And the silver driver box makes a little noise that coincides with the lights, so its getting power. But the pump itself doesn't do anything. I've taken apart the pump and cleaned it, there aren't any deposits or anything inhibiting it from working. I've also consulted the manual and no go.

Any other suggestions or do I need a new motor block?

Hi Christy

I had one of my Tunze's do the same thing.

In the manual there is a section on cleaning and it shows a small disk at the bottom of the impeller. This disk has a number of tiny holes in it and they must be cleared of debry. Once I cleaned the disk throughly the alarm quit and the pump started up again.

I hope this works for you.

Tom R

Mrfish55
05-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Is it the first gen? mine did the same thing, after replacing most of the parts and still not resolving the problem, the dealer finally replaced it with a new unit. Good luck, sure sucks when something that expensive craps out, lucky mine was still under warranty.

christyf5
05-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Hi Christy

I had one of my Tunze's do the same thing.

In the manual there is a section on cleaning and it shows a small disk at the bottom of the impeller. This disk has a number of tiny holes in it and they must be cleared of debry. Once I cleaned the disk throughly the alarm quit and the pump started up again.

I hope this works for you.

Tom R

Yeah I ended up taking the whole thing apart per the instructions on the website and still nothing :neutral: Its not even clogged up with gack or coralline or anything. For the most part it was clean as a whistle and the box had some stuff growing in it.

christyf5
05-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Is it the first gen? mine did the same thing, after replacing most of the parts and still not resolving the problem, the dealer finally replaced it with a new unit. Good luck, sure sucks when something that expensive craps out, lucky mine was still under warranty.

It is a first gen model. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get another one instead of going the "is it this part?, no, is it this part? no" route. :neutral:

Ken
05-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Christy. bite the bullet. Part of the fun of this hobby is spending. Regards Ken

Mrfish55
05-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Good excuse to buy a Vortech:biggrin: does more, cost less.

Stones
05-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I've had my wavebox die on me twice now since I bought it last August. Apparently there was a bad batch of pump processors which was causing the issue. Not sure if it may be the same problem with yours or not, but both times my pump would not be working even though the 6091 controller was indicating it should be. When I disconnected the pump from the power source and the 6091 controller, then reinserted the power cord into the pump, the pump would come on at 100% and stay on so that is how I knew the pump's processor was shot. Give that a try and see if this is the issue. If so, the only fix is to get a new pump to replace the old one with.

I have been dealing with Phil Gilbert from Xenia North America as they handle the tunze replacement parts and warranty service for Canada. His email is xeniaservice@videotron.ca so you could always give him a shout if your pump is doing the same thing mine was doing.

christyf5
05-11-2009, 03:56 AM
I've had my wavebox die on me twice now since I bought it last August. Apparently there was a bad batch of pump processors which was causing the issue. Not sure if it may be the same problem with yours or not, but both times my pump would not be working even though the 6091 controller was indicating it should be. When I disconnected the pump from the power source and the 6091 controller, then reinserted the power cord into the pump, the pump would come on at 100% and stay on so that is how I knew the pump's processor was shot. Give that a try and see if this is the issue. If so, the only fix is to get a new pump to replace the old one with.

I have been dealing with Phil Gilbert from Xenia North America as they handle the tunze replacement parts and warranty service for Canada. His email is xeniaservice@videotron.ca so you could always give him a shout if your pump is doing the same thing mine was doing.

Well nuts, mine doesn't run at all without the controller plugged in. The silver driver box does make an electronic buzz, I was thinking maybe that was the problem. :confused: