PDA

View Full Version : dosing purpleup

bignose
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Do other coral benefit when dosing with purple up Ca? or is it really only meant for coraline algae?

paddyob
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Do other coral benefit when dosing with purple up Ca? or is it really only meant for coraline algae?

Purple up is ok. i used it exclusively for the first two years, but i found i still needed more supplements. coraline Requires pretty much the same stuff, and by regular doses of ca And kh It will do the same if not better than PU. you cant adjust PU To your absorption rate And thats where you may find yourself alternate dosing With what ever element is low.

Ryan7
05-09-2009, 06:00 PM
It contains Iodine which corals like, but wouldn't confuse that with an added supplement. Also likely contains small amounts of strontium and magnesium. Basically it is calcium thou.

paddyob
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
It contains Iodine which corals like, but wouldn't confuse that with an added supplement. Also likely contains small amounts of strontium and magnesium. Basically it is calcium thou.

Explains why it is hard to keep kh High enough. i had to start dosing Builder every second day, then went to calcium advantage to replace the PU Altogether.

wickedfrags
05-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Honestly, save your money. Maintain a stable level of alkalinity and calcium and the coraline will take care of itself. I have never dosed it and I have ample, in fact it is a problem! Any anyway, if you can see the liverock that just means you have room for more corals :mrgreen:

whatcaneyedo
05-09-2009, 08:12 PM
honestly, save your money. Maintain a stable level of alkalinity and calcium and the coraline will take care of itself. I have never dosed it and i have ample, in fact it is a problem! Any anyway, if you can see the liverock that just means you have room for more corals :mrgreen:

+1

bignose
05-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I went and bought some Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium. I think it's made by the same company who makes Zeo products? It costs a bit more per gallon in the long run but if it helps my tank so be it.
If anyone uses this can you share what you think of it?

wickedfrags
05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Use this product to raise your calcium to 425+/-. As it appears you do not have a calcium reactor, use a daily 2-part additive (such as B-Ionic or a comarable product) to maintain your calcium and alkalinity. Your coraline algae with come with time. Cheers.

I went and bought some Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium. I think it's made by the same company who makes Zeo products? It costs a bit more per gallon in the long run but if it helps my tank so be it.
If anyone uses this can you share what you think of it?