PDA

View Full Version : When is enough is enough ?

andestang
05-09-2009, 04:27 PM
So when is enough is enough ? I've been in this hobby for a really long time and it is still one of my big interests, but I've been struggling with my main tank lately. From a major case of Aptasia, hair algae and now losing a few favorite SPS's. At first it was mostly time issues, then with the way the economy is going money(have to be a little more careful) and now add great discouragement. For me to carry on I'd think I would almost need to start something over and hence all the above-money, time and a happier attitude. I''ve been looking for a nice 230g - 300g tank for awhile, as Katherine would say - last big upgrade :) But with the bulk of my live rock not being worthy of going into a new tank,its again more money. Why does one have to love this hobby so :der: ? So I'll sit on the fence a wee bit longer. :blah: Feel free to express ones feelings here, another reason to start this thread.
cheers

BMW Rider
05-09-2009, 04:45 PM
It seems keeping a reef tank is just dealing with alternating crises with brief periods of calm between them. :lol:

I am reasonably happy with where my tanks are at this point, but there are still some nuisances that are plaguing me, damn mojanos. I figure I've got about another five or so years left with the big tank as a reef before I'll look to downgrade to something less demanding of my time and care. I'd like more freedom to be away from the house for extended travel and don't want to bother with having a tank to look after or have looked after by someone else. As it is now, I can let it be for 10-12 days on its own as long as I set up extra TO water for it. Beyond that time frame, it needs someone to do some maintenance to keep it from declining. Its pretty stable and dependable, but there is always that potential to come home to a disaster just the same. I had to talk my wife through a shutdown of the Ca reactor last summer when it decided to leak while I was out in the Kootenays on my motorcycle. Its a built in tank, so a total shut down and removal is not likely, but it may become a FOWLR or most likely a freshwater system - something with a lot less potential to have problems.

Myka
05-09-2009, 05:03 PM
And here's me who is reluctantly upgrading to a weenie 90...not because I want an upgrade, but because I want to keep a fish that I originally bought as a temporary tenant to help battle Valonia (which didn't work btw). But now I am attached to said fish and bought a freakin tank just for it. I have absolutely no jealousy pangs or even slight want of a giant tank like some of you guys have! :lol: Big tanks are too much like work imo.

Johnny Reefer
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Ya, I sometimes think about packing it in. Hair algae is looming again, when I thought I had it beat. Hydroids are coming in again on my Reef, 2 1/2 years after resetting everything up after a move. (It was about the same timeframe on those pest hydroids before the move). Can't keep some simple corals for some reason. Open Brains and Sun Corals struggle while Frogspawns, Candy Canes, Bubbles and Lobos flourish. On a positive note, at least I got my Aiptasia forest eliminated and under control.

Ditto on the time away from home and ditto on the travel aspirations. I'm figuring in about 8 years (earliest I can retire), I'll take a good hard look at it then.

Cheers,

banditpowdercoat
05-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Big tanks are too much like work imo.

Oh GREAT, NOW someone tells me......:razz:

AndyL
05-09-2009, 05:32 PM
LOL,

I think we all go through these phases, I personally left my tank sitting on the floor - with barely topups and no water changes for 6 months after loosing most of it to repeated electrical failures (pumps, heaters, skimmers the list went on). But then the bug bit again, and I had to get it set back up properly and restocked...

I think we all need a bit of a break every now and then - but we always end up coming back :)

Jack
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I tore down my 200 gallon cause I wasn't into it like I used to.

So then I setup a sumpless 50 gallon with just softies and LPS and the tanks silicone blew out on the bottom.

Needless too say I want to take a break but I think I will miss it if I get out completley.

wickedfrags
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Ande. Sorry to hear about your experiences, that being said, most of the ones you noted can be manged over time (been there done that). And sorry to hear about the SPS - losing them can be REAL tough. Hopefully someone can set you up with a frag of the ones you lost.

A new tank incorporating all the newest/nicest features can be a nice pick-me-up. I did that about 5 years back. Who knows - if I sell my house I can offer you a great tank and at really good price! Good luck with whatever you decide.

zeddy
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Ya, I sometimes think about packing it in. Hair algae is looming again, when I thought I had it beat. Hydroids are coming in again on my Reef, 2 1/2 years after resetting everything up after a move. (It was about the same timeframe on those pest hydroids before the move). Can't keep some simple corals for some reason. Open Brains and Sun Corals struggle while Frogspawns, Candy Canes, Bubbles and Lobos flourish. On a positive note, at least I got my Aiptasia forest eliminated and under control.

Ditto on the time away from home and ditto on the travel aspirations. I'm figuring in about 8 years (earliest I can retire), I'll take a good hard look at it then.

Cheers,

i'm moving my tank at the end of the month and thought it would be the perfect time to take care of my aptasia issue. how did you do it

Johnny Reefer
05-10-2009, 02:43 PM
i'm moving my tank at the end of the month and thought it would be the perfect time to take care of my aptasia issue. how did you do it
Well, first off, the Aiptasia I had was not eradicated during the move. It was eradicated well after. I only mention the move to illustrate that hydroids have shown up, on a couple of occasions now, ~ 2 years after I have started up, or set up again, a reef system. Thus, theorizing and suggesting that perhaps 2 years in is when conditions reach a point where it is ideal for hydroids to start showing their ugly heads.

Anyway, ...back to the Aiptasia. Time, patience, Peppermint Shrimp, Kalkwasser, and scrubbing. It took about one year. Probably could have done it in less time, but I was not always diligent due to occasional lack of available time and occasional lack of motivation. I got an army of Peppermint Shrimp. A dozen, or so, for a 180g tank. These guys will eat "small" Aiptasia and will also eat any new "sprouts". Yes, define "small". I'm not sure what small is in reference to this. More important is that they eat the new "sprouts", thus preventing re-growth. The larger Aiptasia, I dealt with by "zapping" them with a Kalkwasser/water mix, by way of a syringe. But not all at once. I had so many of them that "zapping" them all at once would have affected the water chemistry due to the Kalkwasser. This was done over a number of sessions. But I had so many, it was hard to keep up. So finally, at one point, I bit the bullet and removed all my live rock and gave it a good scrubbing. It was after this that things really improved.

To summarize, then....
Army of Peppermint Shrimp for eradicating any new buds.
Kalkwasser for eradicating the larger ones.
Scrub the live rock for eradicating the larger ones.

Interestingly enough...I still have Aiptasia, actually, but it is not much and it is all in places of low light. The overflows and the sump have some Aiptasia. Places I don't care about and actually welcome it, because they act as filter feeders. But none in my display, which indicates to me that the bulk of my PS army is still there and doing their job.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to scrub your live rock during the move, while you have the chance.

And BTW, and FWIW, products like "Joe's Juice" are simply a Kalkwasser/Water mix, IMO. Same thing.

HTH and good luck,

i have crabs
05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
time to rebuild when that feeling hits,dont necessarily need to upgrade but maybe a teardown and rebuild while trying to fix some issues
im having some issues with aptasia also to the point that im about to rip every rock out and buy a crate of joe's juice, seems like a good time to remove every spec of gsp and xenia while im at it, ive been holding off cause im planning a big upgrade in the near future and would hate to have to do it then move the tank in a few months anyway

zeddy
05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, first off, the Aiptasia I had was not eradicated during the move. It was eradicated well after. I only mention the move to illustrate that hydroids have shown up, on a couple of occasions now, ~ 2 years after I have started up, or set up again, a reef system. Thus, theorizing and suggesting that perhaps 2 years in is when conditions reach a point where it is ideal for hydroids to start showing their ugly heads.

Anyway, ...back to the Aiptasia. Time, patience, Peppermint Shrimp, Kalkwasser, and scrubbing. It took about one year. Probably could have done it in less time, but I was not always diligent due to occasional lack of available time and occasional lack of motivation. I got an army of Peppermint Shrimp. A dozen, or so, for a 180g tank. These guys will eat "small" Aiptasia and will also eat any new "sprouts". Yes, define "small". I'm not sure what small is in reference to this. More important is that they eat the new "sprouts", thus preventing re-growth. The larger Aiptasia, I dealt with by "zapping" them with a Kalkwasser/water mix, by way of a syringe. But not all at once. I had so many of them that "zapping" them all at once would have affected the water chemistry due to the Kalkwasser. This was done over a number of sessions. But I had so many, it was hard to keep up. So finally, at one point, I bit the bullet and removed all my live rock and gave it a good scrubbing. It was after this that things really improved.

To summarize, then....
Army of Peppermint Shrimp for eradicating any new buds.
Kalkwasser for eradicating the larger ones.
Scrub the live rock for eradicating the larger ones.

Interestingly enough...I still have Aiptasia, actually, but it is not much and it is all in places of low light. The overflows and the sump have some Aiptasia. Places I don't care about and actually welcome it, because they act as filter feeders. But none in my display, which indicates to me that the bulk of my PS army is still there and doing their job.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to scrub your live rock during the move, while you have the chance.

And BTW, and FWIW, products like "Joe's Juice" are simply a Kalkwasser/Water mix, IMO. Same thing.

HTH and good luck,
thanks

Matt
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
We're building a new house, and had a 230 planned in, but now... we're going to shut down our tanks in the next month or so and not replace them in the new joint. As to why...
1) The "tether" effect. We can only go so far or so long without making arrangements.
2) the green scene. The electricity a reef tank burns is starting to feel wrong, not to mention that all of my fish except my clowns are wild-caught. I'm not buying any new fish lately, but I still feel the pang. One in my tank = how many dead in the ocean or along the way?
3) The constant threat or reality of another crisis of some kind: flood, algae, diatoms, Ca crashes...
4) Plain old fashioned hobby fatigue.

Stay tuned for a couple of "for sale" threads soon!