PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia covered live rock in sump

levi1803
05-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I have no aptasia in my main system but have some rock with aptasia on it in another tank that I was wanting to move into my sump, is it possible that the aptasia will be carried up into my main tank, which obviously I wouldn't want.

Elliot

Red Coral Aquariums
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes it will (not could) be carried to your display from your sump.
Kevin

levi1803
05-09-2009, 03:06 PM
haha, I kind of figured that would be the case. Thanks Kevin.

AndyL
05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Peppermint shrimp :) Specially those hungry hand fed varieties found at places like red coral...

I just cleansed my tank of aiptasia - with two of those buggers; hungry monsters - cleared out a hundreds + in a matter of weeks...

Andy

levi1803
05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Actually I was thinking of that, just keeping the rock in the tank it's in now and getting some peppermint shrimp in there, I don't overly trust pep's in the main tank though as my brothers ate a whack of his zoa's and I have lots that I would rather not have eaten :)

whatcaneyedo
05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
You could run your sump's return pump through a UV sterilizer and keep the aptasia covered rock in there as a natural filter. Calfo talks about it in The Book of Coral Propagation. Personally I wouldnt... I hate that stuff and there are plenty of other options for natural filters.