PDA

View Full Version : Rust covering rocks

jassz
05-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Hello experts,

More newbie questions. I have had my tank 6 days (moved an exisiting set up). For several days now the rocks and equipment has been getting more and more rust coloured. At first I thought maybe it was coming from a rusty sump, and that rust blew out from a couple time when the sump accidentally sucked up air. I tried scraping a bit off with a some tongs and it doesn't budge so I don't think it a dusting of rust. I googled this, and it sounds like it might be algae. What do you think? What should I do about it? I have a predator tank, with 2 triggers, 2 puffers, a wolf eel, a lion fish, 2 tiger cowrie snails and a handful of hermit crabs.

The water is also quite cloudy. I am getting a protein skimmer tomorrow (it doesn't currently have one). Will that help?

Thanks,
jassz

Marlin65
05-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Sounds like you are going through a mini cycle. don't add anything else and keep an eye on the parameters change water as required.
Skimmer will help for cloudy water but only to a point. (filter bags, carbon?)
Let things stabilize for a few weeks don't feed too heavy.

ElGuappo
05-09-2009, 08:26 AM
+1

sounds like you are going through a mini cycle. Don't add anything else and keep an eye on the parameters change water as required.
Skimmer will help for cloudy water but only to a point. (filter bags, carbon?)
let things stabilize for a few weeks don't feed too heavy.

paddyob
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree. cycle. possible diatom Outbreak. are there bubbles under the slime? dont scrape it either way. probably whats clouding the water. should clear on its own in a week or so if cycling.

jassz
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
It doesn't look like slime. It looks like a layer of rust coloured 'dust' lying on the rocks. I can't see any bubbles either.

If I'm having a cycle, how often should I check the water parameters?

paddyob
05-09-2009, 06:17 PM
It doesn't look like slime. It looks like a layer of rust coloured 'dust' lying on the rocks. I can't see any bubbles either.

If I'm having a cycle, how often should I check the water parameters?

Thats a matter of opinion. i would say once a week, with a small water change after. if your levels are wonky It will possibly add to the issue. could be simply a cyano Outbreak. let your tank go for a couple weeks. should be fine. would not worry.

naesco
05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Hello experts,

More newbie questions. I have had my tank 6 days (moved an exisiting set up). For several days now the rocks and equipment has been getting more and more rust coloured. At first I thought maybe it was coming from a rusty sump, and that rust blew out from a couple time when the sump accidentally sucked up air. I tried scraping a bit off with a some tongs and it doesn't budge so I don't think it a dusting of rust. I googled this, and it sounds like it might be algae. What do you think? What should I do about it? I have a predator tank, with 2 triggers, 2 puffers, a wolf eel, a lion fish, 2 tiger cowrie snails and a handful of hermit crabs.

The water is also quite cloudy. I am getting a protein skimmer tomorrow (it doesn't currently have one). Will that help?

Thanks,
jassz

What is your ammonia and nitrite?

burrows14
09-23-2009, 03:51 AM
just wondering how everything turned out? i just bought a tank too and am going thru the same thing. did it clear up on its own? or did you use additives?

Ray

icecool217
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
just wondering how everything turned out? i just bought a tank too and am going thru the same thing. did it clear up on its own? or did you use additives?

Ray

It should clear up on its own. Keep the water parameter steady and do more water changes. It will eventually pass :)

intarsiabox
09-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Just about every new tank has a diatom bloom. Just do weekly water changes with RO/DI water, have lots of circulation and give it some time. Additives won't help only maintenance and patience.

jassz
09-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Yes, it did clear up. And quite quickly too, as I recall.

Good luck!

burrows14
09-24-2009, 05:45 AM
awesome! i can put my mind at ease now hahaha