PDA

View Full Version : Moving the tank...

Aquattro
03-20-2002, 04:04 AM
SO next Friday is moving day for the tank. Anyone have some good tips on making this as smooth as possible? Someone suggested that since I have a double bottom on my tank (75g) that I should move it with the sand in. Thoughts? Will this reduce damaging the DSB, or is it pointless to try. All ideas gratefully accepted!!

Acro
03-20-2002, 04:56 AM
Brad,

Other then having as many tubs, buckets, and garbage cans that you figure you'll need on hand. The most important part to a move is to take into concideration the fact that you will have some die off. My last move almost proved very fatal to many of my inhabitants and for others it was fatal. If I was to do it again I would have only saved 50% of old water also I would increased water changes for say the first couple months after the move. I would have also fed less for the couple months following.Until things stablized. I'm not saying this would have saved some of my loses but not doing this I beleive was a factor in my loses.
Moving is very hard on a stocked system perhaps not as bad with a system with a low stock. My biggest error was thinking that I could just carry on with my feeding and maintanence schedule I was doing on the system after it had been at it's old location for 2 years.

Jamie

DJ88
03-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Make up as much new water as your system holds. Or as close as you can get. use abotu 1/2 of the original water and 1/2 new.

If you can move the tank with the sand bed in it. Go for it. I moved mine by placing it on a piece of wood to support the whole tank bottom. I still had die off. :( you are gonna get some no matter what.

take everything out of the tank you can.

a big help is set out a plan. what order everything will happen. tearing it down and setting it up. Expect the unexpected if you can. I know that sounds funny. but try.

Make sure everyone helping knows exactly what they are exected to do and that they have a clue as to what they are handling and how fragile it is. Tell them to be careful. Make as sure as you can that they are careful.

Aquattro
03-20-2002, 11:57 AM
Darren, my paln is to use all the old water and have enough new on hand to do a complete change. SInce I'm only moving about a mile away, I think this should work. I have separate containers for fish, rocks, inverts...they'll all move in water.
Bruce, Adam and Steve are helping out with the move, so I think I should be OK. Moving with the sand in place is a bit scarey, as it will be pretty heavy. The house will be empty; movers are coming the day before the tank move. I've been stocking up on rubbermaid containers and 5g buckets. I have spare pumps and heaters. And lots of towels! I expect that the whole move should take no more than 6 hours. Just hope the weather improves!!

Aquattro
03-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Since my smaller tank is a 10 gallon with 3 mantis shrimp, I don't think it would be a good idea. And I take posession of the house the day before, so I'm gonna be a bit busy that day :D

Silverfish
03-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Your four foot tank with a DSB won't be too heavy, will it? :eek:

Oh well,.. I guess my part of the move won't be to sit there and drink beer the whole time tongue.gif

I know! Let's rent a crane, cut a hole in your ceiling, (I have a chainsaw, and it's not like it's your house anymore anyway) and lift it out through the hole and onto Steve's truck!!

comments?

StirCrazy
03-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Silverfish:
Oh well,.. I guess my part of the move won't be to sit there and drink beer the whole time tongue.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HEY thats MY Job :D

Steve

ldzielak
03-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Let me know how you guys make out, I'm moving again too. House sold so I have to find another rental:(

Lee

reefburnaby
03-21-2002, 04:39 AM
Hi,

My only recommendation is never touch the sand. If you disturb it....it will die and start to cycle again. So, like Darren said...try to move without touching the sand. The first inch of sand is the most important...

- Victor.

BCReefer
03-21-2002, 04:44 AM
If you had a smaller tank, wouldn’t it be better to move the corals their prior to the big move and let them sit there until you have your bigger tank up and running for a few days??

Would that be a good idea?

Silverfish
03-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Since Brad is probably setting up rock, equipment and filling his system right now I hope he doesn't mind me posting. smile.gif

The move went pretty well, we managed to move the whole tank with the DSB still in it, and it seems like it wasn't disturbed much. It was heavy, but two guys could still lift and carry it with two more guys on the sides for extra help at times.

Well, see ya! Goin' campin' ! :D :D

DJ88
03-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Good to hear guys.. PICS BRAD!!!! ;)

StirCrazy
03-29-2002, 08:00 PM
you must mean PICS STEVE smile.gif I took lots and after I go for supper I will put some up if it is ok with Brad.

Steve

Jack
03-29-2002, 09:13 PM
Yah, let's see some pics. :D

Lee, if you need help moving call me. I also emailed you so give me a shout. Talk to you later

StirCrazy
03-30-2002, 06:24 PM
ok I got all the pics reduced in size and uploaded to some webspace soif you want to see them you can go HERE (http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/movinday/)

Steve

terryp01
03-30-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure how far your move is but one of my recommendations is to keep the old water areated while you are in the move process. DO NOT areate any of the other items other than maybe a heater with a small powerhead.

My first move was from North Carolina to New York, lost about 75% of everything. The second move was from NY to Texas and lost nothing.

If you have someone that has a tank that lives near you, I would see if they would keep the fragile corals for the first couple of weeks after the move to get the tank stabalized.

Otherwise, good luck.

Jack
03-30-2002, 07:15 PM
hey steve, awsome pics. who's who though?? haha, never met you guys. how did the move go anyways?

StirCrazy
03-30-2002, 07:29 PM
wasn't a long move.. mabe 7 min drive. I talked to Brad today, I left at noon yesterday as my knee was getting to sore for me to stick around, but everything went great. tank cleared up fast and everyone seamed to be ok. Brad should be on tonight or tomorrow with a update.

Steve

Aquattro
03-31-2002, 04:23 AM
Well, got my machines back up and running finally. Great pics Steve!! Tank looks great; all corals and fish are doing fine. Some look even better than before the move. Skimmer is doing a great job.
I have to say that without the help of Mike, Bruce, Adam and Steve, things would have been ugly...thanks guys.
The tank completely cleared in less than 24 hours and looks awesome..Mike gets kudos for his rockscaping talents. Hopefully Steve can come buy for some after shots in the next few days.
Got to unpack some boxes now...bubye.

One_Divided
03-31-2002, 04:56 AM
you've always got me for photos too brad if needed.. good to hear things are all goin well..

Jack
03-31-2002, 06:07 PM
Sounds good brad, glad things worked out. Steve, pics would be cool too, no pressure ;)

Aquattro
03-31-2002, 11:47 PM
Update:

Things are great still for everything but my powder brown tang. Covered in ick and I don't think it will make it thru the night. It also decided to lay down in the farthest reaches of the rock work; if it dies there, I may not be able to retrieve it. Hopefully it comes around.
Other than that, some of the corals look better than they ever did before. I'm also glad I have an oversize skimmer....it's working hard(but well).

Aquattro
04-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Fnally got the rest of the equipment running. Corals still doing great...powder brown didn't make it.

DJ88
04-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the Powder Brown Brad.