PDA

View Full Version : need help with pipefish

khangis300
05-09-2009, 02:19 AM
I recently just bought two yellow multi banded pipefish, i had tried feeding them with brine shrimp and mysis shrimp but both had refused to eat frozen food, may i ask will they accept frozen food? if anyone have experience with these fish, would love to hear from you guys, thanks for reading

chandigz
05-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Pipefish are difficult to keep(This is definately a fish you should have researched first). I worked in a store and sometimes we would get them as an extra or sub and we could never get them to take frozen food and then died. You will most likely need live food to feed them. I'd say definately to begin with. It chould be possible to ween them onto frozen food but then again they might not. They also need to be fed several times a day. They should be housed in a species only/seahorse tank or a tank with slow docile tankmates and lower flow. I've never tried to keep pipefish after I researched because of the difficulties and special needs. good luck!

khangis300
05-09-2009, 04:05 AM
thank you for replying to my question, i know that they are a very difficult fish to keep, i didin't buy them. My brother bought them and gave it to me, i will try buying live copods to feed them first and at the same time i will put in some frozen food to see if they will accept frozen food over a period of time. Once again, thank you for your advice.

marie
05-09-2009, 04:16 AM
thank you for replying to my question, i know that they are a very difficult fish to keep, i didin't buy them. My brother bought them and gave it to me, i will try buying live copods to feed them first and at the same time i will put in some frozen food to see if they will accept frozen food over a period of time. Once again, thank you for your advice.

They would probably be happier in the refugium then in the display tank

naesco
05-12-2009, 01:51 AM
I recently just bought two yellow multi banded pipefish, i had tried feeding them with brine shrimp and mysis shrimp but both had refused to eat frozen food, may i ask will they accept frozen food? if anyone have experience with these fish, would love to hear from you guys, thanks for reading

They are easy to catch.
Please return them to the LFS for a credit.
They will only survive if you have tonnes of pods in your main tank or you are able to find live food.
I am surprised an LFS is selling them without a warning that they require live food.
Wayne

marie
05-12-2009, 01:55 AM
They are easy to catch.
Please return them to the LFS for a credit.
They will only survive if you have tonnes of pods in your main tank or you are able to find live food.
I am surprised an LFS is selling them without a warning that they require live food.
Wayne

:biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52602

reefy
05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
I have kept the multi banded pipefish before they seems easier than my Janns pipefish, I feed them something call "coral-food" they are frozen pods, its works very well...