PDA

View Full Version : question from the wife

StirCrazy
05-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Ok, so I am leaving tomorrow for kamloops for a week to buy a house. We realy like one that is in heffley creek, but are also looking in westsyde, barnhartvale, ryligh (sp) and some other area's.

the one in Heffley has a surface well and the wife is all freaked out about it and I am a little concerned. Does anyone have a well and know enought to explain the problems that are associated with surface wells and how to overcome them?

Steve

wolf_bluejay
05-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Ok, so I am leaving tomorrow for kamloops for a week to buy a house. We realy like one that is in heffley creek, but are also looking in westsyde, barnhartvale, ryligh (sp) and some other area's.

the one in Heffley has a surface well and the wife is all freaked out about it and I am a little concerned. Does anyone have a well and know enought to explain the problems that are associated with surface wells and how to overcome them?

Steve

At my place out at shuswap, we run on a "sand point". Surface wells are basically really shallow wells. In my case, the sand point is only 15ft deep.
The problem with surface wells is contamination from surface water. If you fertilize nearby, or are close to your neighbours septic field, you can be in trouble.

The plus side, is usually a surface well produces lots of water (as they hit good water and stopped drilling/digging), with lower pumping costs with a jet pump rather than an "in well" pressure pump. As well, you can acutally remove a lot of iron with a simple paper filter. From deep wells the iron is not oxidized and dissolved in the water. if you let it contact the air in a bucket, the iron will precipitate out . So sometimes you'll get lower TDS water with a surface well.

Of course, the way we deal with it is in 2 ways : First, get the water tested once in a while for impurities and bacteria.
Second -- water pump, ballast tank, filters, water softener, UV light to kill bacteria. But out there, we usually don't drink that water and use 5 gal water jugs to take water from town.

If you add a RO unit after everything else you should have quite pure water.

In the end, you can get good water out of the tap, but you are going to have some costs involved with it. The softener salt, filters, RO membrane, UV light bulbs and the occasional shocking DO add up.
Of course, this depends a lot on what kind of surface well and where it is located. If you are at the low end of a field with cattle -- e.coli is a big worry. If you pull straight from a fast running stream you are a bit better off. I've seen surface well that are really "at the surface" and once that are about 15-30ft. I think the definition of surface well is less than 50ft deep.

PS. I have a few people that I work with that live up the heffley-creek valley -- a little "redneck" but most of the people are quite friendly. It's one of those areas where people actually say "hi" and talk to anyone. I'm creepy looking and when I've been out there for work and having a smoke break -- anyone walking by will stop just to shoot the breeze. Some of the other small towns I go to, I just get a funny glare.

And have you heard of the Cedric's water/amusement park getting built in Kamloops ($250 million build).

*edit : found this in my old bookmarks, a good read -- http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/buho/buho_003.cfm

Cameron
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Also take note if it is well water most banks want a water potability test to confirm it is ok for drinking.

StirCrazy
05-09-2009, 03:51 PM
And have you heard of the Cedric's water/amusement park getting built in Kamloops ($250 million build).

*edit : found this in my old bookmarks, a good read -- http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/buho/buho_003.cfm

nope never heard of it, there were to many other issues with the one in Heffley so it is off the list, but another on in heffley looks OK so we are going to try see it today. so fare the top of our list is in Dallas now.

Steve

wolf_bluejay
05-10-2009, 03:50 PM
nope never heard of it, there were to many other issues with the one in Heffley so it is off the list, but another on in heffley looks OK so we are going to try see it today. so fare the top of our list is in Dallas now.

Steve

Well, at least Dallas is on the city water supply (RO tap water).
But Cedric's is a $250 million amusement park getting built just off highway 5 (on the reserve) in Kamloops. A indoor water park, hotel, arena, hotel, etc... about 45 acres in all, and building is supposed to start any day now. www.sedrics.com

StirCrazy
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
sounds cool. well we put an offer in yesterday, just waiting to hear something.. If i had more time I think I would have fired my realestae agent, might as well have been doing it all myself.... oh well.

Steve

argan
10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
hey stir, did you get a place in kamloops yet?

StirCrazy
10-03-2009, 08:37 PM
yup I did., I got a place in Dallas on the 1st of aug, but I didn`t come up till the 3rd of sept.

Steve

bvlester
10-03-2009, 09:04 PM
yup I did., I got a place in Dallas on the 1st of aug, but I didn`t come up till the 3rd of sept.

Steve

Hi welcome to the comunity we are in Barnhartvale it is above Dallas BJ Aquatics is up here also. Very nice people I picked up a few things from them and chated for a while.

Bill

StirCrazy
10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
thanks, we looked in Barnhartvale also, but anything that was decient had a unusable yard for what we wanted. in the end it was having two garages that sold us on a house.

Steve

sick lid
10-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Welcome, I also live in Dallas. anybody up for an area tank tour?
Larry

FitoPharmer
10-04-2009, 12:58 PM
i would love one, just wait for me! my tank is almost setup :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Larry

thanks, what part of dallas are you in? I am on the riverside of the hiway.

hmm, except my tanks are sitting empty in the shop :redface:

Steve

sick lid
10-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm over by the school. get some water in those tanks.

StirCrazy
10-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm over by the school. get some water in those tanks.

it will be a while... got to finnish fixing up the house first. I am over on beaver.

Steve

bvlester
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
thanks, we looked in Barnhartvale also, but anything that was decient had a unusable yard for what we wanted. in the end it was having two garages that sold us on a house.

Steve
We don't have a garage but intend on building one at some point the house we got for about 55G under market value. The price was right and we were running out of time for looking at houses. Our kids love it out here in the country I didn't think they would but I guess they are close enough to the city as the bus comes out here. I grow up in the country but we were further out of the city and I did not like it much as there was very little to do there. I have always liked the piece and quiet in the country, but my parents had 5 kids and we live confortably not much in the way of extras though.

Bill

bvlester
10-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Larry

ours is almost setup not quite the way I'd like it. When I went to Vancouver the timer I bought for the lights some how got set up wrong and the lights were on for 16hrs a day insted of 8 hours. It is a outside digital timer so it can get wet and it will not hurt it also has it own breaker just incase. I do have a ground fault plug for the aquarium also but this is an extra safety.
I'd posibly be in on it, if I am in town I work out of town alot.

Bill

StirCrazy
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I know I would be interested in seeing some tanks around here to get some insperation fopr setting mine up again. I just don't know what I want to set up for tank size or where at this point of time.

Steve