PDA

View Full Version : Pump Hum

Werbo
05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok. It has been my quest to run an ultra-quiet system. Main reason is that I have a great tenant in my basement suite that is directly under the tank.
I did extensive research by asking for feedback from Canreef members. Thanks to all who replied. I decided on Eheim pumps - one 1262 for the return and upgraded my Euro-Reef RS 180 to the modifed Eheim 1260. These pumps are ultra quiet and I highly recommend them. When you are beside them you can barely hear them other than what I describe as a "white noise" hum. This is no louder than when a new fridge cooling fan kicks in.

Question is. I have noticed that the "white noise" hum is magnified through the walls and floor in both my bathroom behind the tank and downstairs under the tank in the laundry room and basement suite. It is actually quieter in the fish tank room/closet.

I have tried foam under the pumps and there is foam under the sump. It makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

AndyL
05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Check for plumbing that touches walls or stand components - usually the cause - often not helped by using clips to secure plumbing to those same pieces - best to float plumbing where possible, and isolate with foam/foam rubber etc.

Using a bit of flex or tubing in the riser off your pump to isolate the pumps vibration from the plumbing will also help. I like the clear kevlar braided stuff sold at the despots - seems to isolate vibration much better than spaflex and the other flexible pvc products.

Aquattro
05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Tyler, place the pump on an inverted plastic basket

hillegom
05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I think as anyl said. Isolate your pump from the plumbing via flex, or short soft rubber tubing. The vibrations from the pump are then not transmitted through the plumbing.

Abbyreefer
05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
When I just set my tank up I was getting a loud huming sound and just like Andyl said it was coming from the return line touching the wall. See if thats the cause and if so then put a piece of foam between the plumbing line and the wall and it will solve the problem.

midgetwaiter
05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Tyler, place the pump on an inverted plastic basket

Wouldn't you get better resonance out of a galvanized aluminum garbage can?