PDA

View Full Version : feather duster blew its top

mossman604
05-07-2009, 12:03 AM
my wife came home with a feather duster about a week ago yesterday it blew its top and today i see 4 little feather dusters about the size of a dime in the rock close by, will the big 1 grow back or is that it

Alberta-newb
05-07-2009, 01:43 AM
It takes some time, but they often grow back. I thought I had lost one of mine (about 2" dia). After about two weeks it started a small new crown, a month later and it's almost back to original size.

Bryan
05-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Sometimes if nitrates are too high they will shed the crown.

Leah
05-07-2009, 03:05 AM
Or shrimp will pick at them as well.

Doo
05-07-2009, 03:54 AM
It takes some time, but they often grow back. I thought I had lost one of mine (about 2" dia). After about two weeks it started a small new crown, a month later and it's almost back to original size.

Same with mine and it grew back...

naesco
05-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Another reason this will happen is starvation.
Make sure you are target feeding it phytoplanketon daily or it will die.
Lack of feeding is the primary cause this species don't last.
Wayne

TheRealBigAL
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I think the feather duster sheds its crown only when it feels life is in danger. By shedding the crown it would prevent the entire worm from being eaten or killed in the event of an attack. I don't think starvation was the cause for loss of crown because the duster uses that to collect food from the water. Spot feeding it with phyto is good. I had many feather dusters in my old tank and I fed them coral frenzy and phyto having great success. Feed it well and the crown should grow back in 3-4 weeks.

my2rotties
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
My picasso trigger ripped the crown off of my coco worm... I thought it was dead for sure, but it is growing it back now. Sad part is that I put the coco worm in the 90g to heal, and I did not know which fish had done it. I caught the trigger and put him down there with the coco worm... found the new crown on the bare bottom. It is back in the display regrowing again. Trigger has a new home.

Hope it makes it, and don't know how they feed without it. Is there anything that can be done to help it eat at this point in time?

Myka
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Another reason this will happen is starvation.
Make sure you are target feeding it phytoplanketon daily or it will die.
Lack of feeding is the primary cause this species don't last.
Wayne

+1. Not very good long-term survival on feather dusters. The ones that stay teeny that grow on the rocks and glass do really well though. I think it's just that the small ones have an easier time satisfying their nutritional needs.

mossman604
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
my duser is a large 1, she bought the biggest 1 in the store

my2rotties
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I guess all you can do it wait and watch for now... I would not throw it out just yet. I guess you can take it out and smell it. That is what I have been doing with the coco worm.

my duser is a large 1, she bought the biggest 1 in the store

Alberta-newb
05-08-2009, 05:48 AM
+1. Not very good long-term survival on feather dusters. The ones that stay teeny that grow on the rocks and glass do really well though. I think it's just that the small ones have an easier time satisfying their nutritional needs.

What is the life-span of a healthy featherduster? How long do worms live?

My two Sabellastarte indica are coming up on a year old soon...would hate to lose them as they host my clowns.

my2rotties
05-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I read they do not live long, about a year, but I do not have experience other then just reading about them. My coco worm is form a tank shut down and he is over two years old. I am glad he is growing his crown back now, but I don't know if he will live for the long term since it happened to him twice now. I know certain fish will pull the crowns off, but had no idea my picasso trigger would do this.

What is the life-span of a healthy featherduster? How long do worms live?

My two Sabellastarte indica are coming up on a year old soon...would hate to lose them as they host my clowns.

whatcaneyedo
05-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I've had 5 Christmas tree worms living in a porites colony for 3 years and I've had a Hawaiian feather duster for 4. I feed a bit of Reef Chili 2-3 times a week but mostly I credit my large dirty system for keeping them fed and alive.