PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a custom tank

mseepman
05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm just in the process of trying to finalize a new house build and my plans include moving from my current 70G tank w/20G sump to a 280G tank with 90G sump and 33g fuge.

I've been looking through Canreef and some of the other forums out there and was wondering if people could speak up about their purchase experience/quality from these two tank builders:

Aquarium Obsessed
Concept Aquariums

From what I've read on other forums both have had rough spots in the past but both seem to have really cleaned things up in the last year or two.

Any info would be great.

Mrfish55
05-06-2009, 11:43 PM
No experience with those builders, what size are you looking at? I bought one of the 300gal Marineland Deep Dimension tanks (72x36x27), very impressed with the quality and no waiting for a custom to get built.

mseepman
05-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I certainly like those tanks. Both of my local Saltwater LFS carry them and they are nice. Problem is that this is going to be a peninsula tank seperating rooms and so it has to have some very specific dimensions and features. Basically one short side is going to be buried in a wall and it will have to include an external overflow. My fishroom would be in the basement 1 floor below as well.

Thanks for the suggestion though as they are really nice tanks.

new but handy
05-07-2009, 04:04 AM
make your own marc, everyone is doing it

mseepman
05-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Haha...yeah I've seen yours but I'm just not that brave!! That's a mighty big tank of yours and it was the first one that came to mind when I read the other thread on here about the 50G tank blowing out.
I keep thinking that these tank builders must know something that I don't know which makes them the expert and hopefully improves my chances of keeping the tank going for a long long time and my floor dry for the same amount of time.

Okguy
05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I can't comment on tank builders but congrats on taking the leap (house and tank). It's about time! I can't wait to see both evolve!

mseepman
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Kevin...we haven't quite put pen to paper on the deal yet, but we're close! Darn banks seem to think they should have a say in things these days...:lol: