PDA

View Full Version : Teardown-->Move-->Rebuild

scuglass
05-06-2009, 04:59 AM
In about a month’s time I will be moving into my new place so it is time to start planning the move. I will have the luxury of being able to get settled in before having to bring everything over from my parent’s house so rushing will not be an issue. Best case scenario I plan on finding some sort of tub (possibly a Rubbermaid trough or if anyone has a cheap tank for sale:lol:) moving everything from the display into there and then setting up the tank at the new house and not having to rush.

Since I will be moving everything anyway I thought this would be a good time to address some of the issues I have been facing. Here is a list of the problems I need to take care of.

Flatworms- I siphon these guys out on a weekly basis but they just keep coming back for more... I just can’t seem to get at a lot of them due to the aquascaping in my tank. I have also tried a yellow wrasse which won’t touch them and picked up a blue slug (not sure the proper name) that is taking care of some of them but can’t keep up. I plan on siphoning all the flatworms I see when transferring to the temp tank, but I’m sure this won’t completely solve the problem, hopefully I will be able to get my hands on some flatworm exit to take care of the remaining ones. (Please let me know if you know where I can get my hands on some)

Sand- When moving the display into the temp tank should I also transfer all of the sand (about 2 inch sand bed) or just keep a cup or two of it? If I only keep a cup of it should I clean the remaining sand and reuse it or just replace it all together.

Flow- The 2 seios and the return plumbing in my tank right now looks ugly. I plan on picking up a vortech MP40 to replace the huge seios, and when setting up the tank at the new house will re-do the return plumbing with only one small return to replace the 2 x DIY educators.

Aquascaping- I want to go for more of an open look. Potentially something like 3 towers or some sort of arch structure or a cove, something with plenty of open space. I think drilling and using acrylic rods or something similar is the best way to ensure stability. Any experiences or tips would be great.

Something like these
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/Thorly/IMG_4009.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/lhoy/LatestUpdate001.jpg?t=1241393437
http://www.projectbat.com/Aquarium/2yrupdate/12.jpg came from --> http://www.projectbat.com/Aquarium/2yrupdate/ftsnorth.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/new%20camera/full901.jpg

Zeovit- The color and clarity I see in Zeo systems blows my mind, I am considering this but wondering about the costs. If I do go ahead with Zeo I will most likely build my own reactor. Does anyone have an estimated cost breakdown per month? I might just run filter socks and carbon to start and see how that affects my water clarity.

Controller- The spider web of cords and timers is really driving me crazy, and if I am going to continue putting money into this tank I don’t want to rely on cheap heaters and timers. I’m looking at something to control the lights, heaters, and Zeo reactor, if I go in that direction. Any suggestions on what controller to go with would be great (but remember I’m a broke student and just bought a house EL OH EL) I’m thinking about the ACJR package right now.

Salt- I will be switching to RBS most likely, can I just mix up all new water and just transfer everything straight over once I’m ready to move? Or do I have to use some of the water from the old system?

Auto top off- I got a couple float switches and plan on setting up something like this: "power runs from the wall, though the top one (float-up=off), though the bottom one (float-down=off) and to your pump.

Now for the relay. It has the active terminals go across the bottom float, and the coil terminals from the wire between the top and bottom floats, with the other side going to neutral.

Here is how it works- The bottom float closes when you need water, when it closes the relay clacks closed too. Water fills the tub, and the bottom float switch opens which has: no effect, because the relay is bypassing that float now (latched it on). The tub keeps falling until the top float goes up (off) breaking the circuit, which allows the relay to open.

Now the water falls (evaporates), the top float closes, but nothing happens because the relay is open, and the bottom float is open too. When the water falls below the bottom float, it closes, the relay latches on, and the cycle continues.”

Or just find an osmolator for sale...

I think that covers the basics of what I want to do, any recommendations or comments are appreciated.
TIA

scuglass
05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
I picked up a vortech on the weekend and it blows my mind, the flow from this thing is unreal... As soon as I switched it on I realized just how much crap had settled on my rocks. Once I move and redo the aquascaping Ill be able to eliminate most deadspots and keep things suspended much longer. Adding filtersocks will also help clear up my water.

Ill hopefully be ordering my ACJR sometime in the next week.

As for a holding tank Im still looking for a viable solution... any reomendations?

Flatworms are still coming back after I siphon them out... if anyone has some fw exit HELP :D