PDA

View Full Version : Rbacchiega's 10 Gallon Yashia Goby House of Love

Rbacchiega
05-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Woooooooooooo Nano contest!

Alright, so I was going to go in the 10 gallon with a budget list, but frankly, with the stuff I wanted to put in this tank and the $500 budget, it just wasn't going to work. So I guess I'm in the 10 gallon unlimited budget category. I still want to set a sort of budget for myself...otherwise this could suck the life right out of me, but here we go.
I'll be keeping a running total of money spent on the tank anyways, even though I guess it doesn't really matter.

The Basics:

I bought a 10 gallon "Frag Tank" off John (lobsterboy) a while ago. And was using it as such, but have decided to make it into a sort of ghetto cube AIO tank. With where John had divided the tank it works out that the display area is approximately 6.2 gallons with an internal "sump" housing about 3.4 gallons.

The plan is to have this tank be a small SPS oasis that will be home to a pair of Yashia Gobies. So, we all know that for SPS lots of varied flow is required. Which is why I'm throwing a Quietone 4000 High Head on this bad boy. You read right...4000High Head!

It was suggested that I use a Manifold to provide different directions of flow and with the canopy I'm planning, the manifold itself won't be seen. Using the headloss calculator on Reefcentral, the gurus there decided that I would be getting approximately 750GPH worth of flow. Look out!

Because of such a high flow rate, and the fish I'll be housing, I'm going to have to go with a sandbed (initially I wanted this to be bare bottom, but I heart Yashia's and when the opportunity presented itself for me to order them, I had to say yes). Figure Medium Grain should prevent a sandstorm.

Lighting possess a little bit of an issue. When I first started tossing around the idea of a nano (even before the contest came up) I wanted to go with Metal Halides, but frankly, I think with the evaporation and heat issue it wouldn't be worth it on such a small tank. Enter T5s. I was able to grab 2 Hagen Glo 24" 2 bulb fixtures from Doug with lights. He said they were growing SPS in a 20 gallon, so why shouldn't 4 bulbs grow SPS over a 6 gallon display??? right? So, right now I'm thinkig of going a Fiji Purple, An Aquamedic Reef Blue and 2 10,000K. But that could change.

Stand and Canopy plans are in the making, but I like the nice clean lines so I don't imagine it'll be too hard to figure out.

I think that's it for now. Pictures to come!

saltynuts
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
look at you go all wild and stuff. can,t be hurt to bad! lol
lets get it on!

lobsterboy
05-05-2009, 10:38 PM
OMG, great name, and i cant wait to see the 4000HH, running on this thing. LOL. i use the same as my return pump on my 125. LOL.

good luck, me i am still on the fence with the contest. I got time right....

Rbacchiega
05-05-2009, 10:40 PM
lets get it on!

Yeah Big John McArthy! I'm a bit of a UFC fan...

Pazil
05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Sounds cool...... but wheres the pics????????????????????

Rbacchiega
05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Currently cutting and fitting manifold. Pics will be up tonight or else!

(EDIT: Well that was a crappy 1200 post....it should have been something histerically sarcastic or whatever...not "currently cutting and fitting manifold" ...booooooo that post)

karazy
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
sounds exciting! i just looove the yashias (i also love the stock tanks turned into AIO)
and omg that tank is gonna be like a toilet bowl with that much flow

noirsphynx
05-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Ooooooo, this one sounds exciting. Can't wait to see the progress.

Rbacchiega
05-05-2009, 11:23 PM
so until I can test with water I'll leave the plumbing the way I've designed it, but I won't glue anything in case I need to add a ball valve or something to controll the flow, but I don't think I will...note to self. Measure TWICE, cut ONCE...

fishytime
05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Hilarious...you gonna be able to drain that much water???

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 12:34 AM
no need to really "drain" anything since it's an AIO. There's a false wall that runs one of the short sides of the tank and should handle the flow. I don't plan on there being much of a drop, just a spot to keep the pump separate from the fish. Just a big way of getting lots of flow without two powerheads. Yeah, there's less display volume, but I'm fine with that. It's more of a challenge I think :D

EDIT: PG 2!!! Yezow!

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 02:38 AM
PICS!!!!!!!!!!:

The "Short" end of the cube. Display measures about 12x12x10
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1372.jpg

Top Down:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1375.jpg

Told Ya' it was a Quiet One 4000 HH:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1376.jpg

Manifold and Pump All put together and in the tank:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1378.jpg

View of the outputs. I don't imagine it'll be too noticable once they are black:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1379.jpg

Pazil
05-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Looking good..... Can't wait to see H2o in there:mrgreen:

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 03:01 AM
H20 in T-minus ....26 days :cry:

JDigital
05-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Could always paint the tank black from the water level up... then you won't see the jets..

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 03:10 AM
true! Although the eggcrate is a little mis leading. There's some more acrylic behind that so the water level is up there. But I do like your idea......

Myka
05-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Holy crap! :eek: You sure the water will actually stay in there? :lol: Looks great! How does the light fit on there? It's 24" isn't it?

I also love Yasha gobies, and believe it or not buying a Yasha was the primary purpose for me to be in the nano contest - good excuse to buy a Yasha!! :lol: I love them, but it would get lost in my 90. Probably eaten too. Still on the fence for the contest, but I won't be using a Yasha now. :p

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM
anyone know how to get what you do on google sketchup and then post it on here? I've got a rough layout of stand/canopy so I can show people how the 24" light will work on a 10 gallon tank...

Lance
05-06-2009, 03:38 AM
Whoa! 120x turnover in that little box! Surf`s Up! Should be pretty cool.

JDigital
05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
i'm not sure your sandbed will be able to handle that type of flow.. :lol:

Boomboy
05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
its funny that your using a QO400HH in your 10Gallon, that is cut in half when i have one on my CL on my 80G. hahahah i think your going to have to go bare bottom, but you should make a video of the water movement then drain it again just so we can see it in action. i think that should be allowed, for entertainment purposes only of course :biggrin:

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Maybe it's just the motor or something, this pump has been sitting dry for over a year, but it doesn't seem to be putting out that much. I filled with H20 just to test for plumbing leaks, and it's not moving overly fast....herm...

Myka
05-06-2009, 04:03 AM
Didn't Christy just say you couldn't have water in the tank at all? :lol:

Did you try cleaning the pump with pure vinegar? Then let it run in a bucket for a couple hours?

EDIT: Ok, am I halucinating, or did Christy not post saying you couldn't put water in the tank at all on page one, and you replied "Yes boss..."??? Am I going mad? :lol: Did that post get deleted? Did she change her mind?

JDigital
05-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Didn't Christy just say you couldn't have water in the tank at all? :lol:

Did you try cleaning the pump with pure vinegar? Then let it run in a bucket for a couple hours?

EDIT: Ok, am I halucinating, or did Christy not post saying you couldn't put water in the tank at all on page one, and you replied "Yes boss..."??? Am I going mad? :lol: Did that post get deleted? Did she change her mind?

Nope, your sane..

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=417950&postcount=9

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 04:09 AM
the water wasn't in the tank...it was in the tub... :D either way, wasn't going as fast as it should. I took apart the thing and noticed a broken impeller shaft :bad-word: but it still goes. I'll try the vinegar bath

Myka
05-06-2009, 04:38 AM
That sucks...but an easy fix at least.

Nope, your sane..

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=417950&postcount=9

Oh good!! Wrong thread though, so I am still half mad... lol

Zylumn
05-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Rbacchiega's 10 Gallon Yashia Goby House of Love

I feel the love anyone else. LOL

Way ta go SAAAAWWWHHHHHHEEEEEEEET.

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
so, we're on the hunt for an impeller shaft....today I'll be picking up Krylon Fusion and might work on building the stand. I'm feeling pretty lazy today, so there's a good chance nothing will get done, but hey, at least I'm honest. Not to mention the Oceanic order is coming in...so I'll be busy with that (STOOOOOOOOKED)

Edit. Pump won't go now, so maybe I just buy a different pump? with not QUITE as much UMPH. We're still going SPS, but gotta think about my Yashias! Open to suggestions ladies and gents...

Edit x2: Maybe buying another pump is the way to go. I only need about 50-60X turnover really for an SPS tank (more wouldn't hurt...but whatever) so that works out to 372gph worth of flow. So I need a 500gph pump and that should work....I think.

I hate getting ideas AFTER The fact.

Rbacchiega
05-06-2009, 07:18 PM
THEME CHANGE

I don't want to spend oodles of money on another pump, and I happen to have a 500gph pump kicking around. Taking into consideration headloss etc total display gph is up around 30x turnover. So I should still be able to keep a few SPS, but this might be a zoa tank...we'll have to see. The main thing is I want my Yashia's to be happy and out and about. No point in dropping oodles of cash on a fish for it to be unseen...

decisions decisions.

Rbacchiega
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
switched out pumps. Now using the pump that was orriginally purchased with the tank from John (lobsterboy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrikwk5bW-U

noirsphynx
05-07-2009, 08:51 PM
WOW, Awesome!!

Midknight
05-07-2009, 11:15 PM
anyone know how to get what you do on google sketchup and then post it on here? I've got a rough layout of stand/canopy so I can show people how the 24" light will work on a 10 gallon tank...

You should be able to just cut and paste the pic. :biggrin:
Arrange the image to where you want it in Sketch-up and the copy (Ctrl C)
Then open MS paint and then paste (Ctrl V) in to the paint program.
Than you can edit it to what you want save as JPG and you are ready to go.

Easy. :wink:

Rbacchiega
05-07-2009, 11:19 PM
:neutral:
right. OR I could try linking to my flickr...which is a stupid thing. Did I mention how much I'm starting to loath computers? Photobucket is being a ...... bad thing.... right now too...:bad-word:

Rbacchiega
05-07-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33729828@N07/3510816927/in/photostream/

Rbacchiega
05-08-2009, 05:24 AM
How to get nano-sized rockwork out of hunks of dry rock you have laying around the house (we all have piles somewhere, admit it)

Step 1:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1388.jpg

Step 2....HULK SMASH!:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1387.jpg

Final result:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1389.jpg

Delphinus
05-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Oh my. With your hands? I bet you used your hands. Don't ruin my fantasy by telling me otherwise.

Rbacchiega
05-08-2009, 05:32 AM
well I threw it really hard...with one arm...so yeah, I used my hands *flexes*

Rbacchiega
05-08-2009, 05:45 AM
I think I've settled on a rock layout. Now just have to buy some sand and build the stand canopy and wait for water!

My picture taking ability leaves much to be desired, can't quite get the pic to show the cool depth I've got going on in there...who knew 'scaping a 6 gallon would be so difficult...took me damn near an hour before I was happy with it....and it still might be changed!

Short side view:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1393.jpg

Long Side view:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1394.jpg

Top Down:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1396.jpg

BlueAbyss
05-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Wow almost ready for water! ;)

Rbacchiega
05-08-2009, 05:51 AM
pretty much!
The stand/canopy unit will be the most time consuming I think. All that's left is that, and to paint the plumbing if I decide to...we'll see!

lobsterboy
05-08-2009, 06:19 AM
YES, THANK YOU RANDI for the HULK SMASH!

Step 2....HULK SMASH!:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1387.jpg

Rbacchiega
05-11-2009, 05:22 AM
In random scrumaging through the basement looking for a reciept I found some spare acrylic (don't ask)... so I took out the shabby looking eggcrate and while I was painting the manifold I painted the back section of the tank and the spare acrylic as well...AND rearranged the rockwork. I really like this layout alot better:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1405.jpg

Also, got all the wood needed to build the frame of the stand and canopy. As per usual, the plan for that has changed, I'll be going with a sort of floating canopy instead.

Myka
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Lookin good. :)

Rbacchiega
05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
thanks. from what I've read on nano-reef, the water will just sort of follow the false wall down to the "sump" in the back of the tank, so shouldn't be too much water noise. Also, with the water level I'll be keeping in the back there shouldn't be too much fall anyways.

Apparently last night my brain decided sleep was for the weak and I havn't gone to bed yet...awake for nearly 22hours as it stands right now so I'm not so sure using power tools would be a good idea, so no stand building etc today...

Rbacchiega
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Found an old aquaclear 20 powerhead in my bin o fish junk. Giving it a good vinegar soak right now (cleaning the Koralia's from the 90, might as well do this one too).

With the added 120gph of flow I'll be looking at 49X turnover... huzah!

Also, my fish are in at Red Coral. I'll be picking them up sometime this week and they'll be in QT until it's time to add them to the nano.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND Snappy has given me a suggestion list of what to put in the tank...so it's moving along quite nicely!

Made the stand, it didn't turn out even remotely close to how I wanted it, but I'm pretty damn proud of how it turned out considering it was built by.....my dad. LOL

Also, have pretty much figured all the corals that will be going in here. Rics, Zoas, and SPS. 12 days till water...another 7-10 (hopefully) till I can add the livestock.

Lance
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
The rock work looks great. I like!

fishytime
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
They really cute Randi....:biggrin: actually so are the other two kinds of stongiowathchamacallits gobies we have in.

noirsphynx
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Any hints on what Greg has recommended or is it a secret for now? The rock work looks great. I'm having a hell of a time setting up mine in my cube. I have about 130 lbs to play around with but no luck. After 5 straight hours and several choice words :censored: I gave up and walked away :frusty:. I think I need to do the hulk smash on a few pieces I have too. I can't wait to see your tank fully stocked.

Rbacchiega
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
They really cute Randi....:biggrin: actually so are the other two kinds of stongiowathchamacallits gobies we have in.

I was just about to message you! In order for me to make this work I need a pair. They are sexually dimorphic with a few subtle characteristics. The male will have a faint dark trim on the ventral fins and the female (assuming the fish are comparable in size) will have a shorter dorsal fin. Mind holding my a male and female (probable) worse comes to worse I can add a Yashia in my 90, though I'll never see it...but, y'know.

The rockwork I have now took, oh I don't know, 5 or 6 tries. The best thing I did was hulk smash it, to be honest.

Rbacchiega
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Any hints on what Greg has recommended or is it a secret for now?

No secret at all.

Plans are Ricordea/Zoas (from Levi - thanks again) and....

a. granulosa
a. batunai
a. tenuis or a. vermiculata
a. austera (yellow/purple)
lemon lime acro
pink birdsnest.

All of the SPS, with the exception of the birdsnest are fairly slow growers, so there shouldn't be too much or a problem with things growing too quickly

noirsphynx
05-20-2009, 12:03 AM
No secret at all.

Plans are Ricordea/Zoas (from Levi - thanks again) and....

a. granulosa
a. batunai
a. tenuis or a. vermiculata
a. austera (yellow/purple)
lemon lime acro
pink birdsnest.

All of the SPS, with the exception of the birdsnest are fairly slow growers, so there shouldn't be too much or a problem with things growing too quickly

Mmmmm, NICE! I have the Austrea on my want list but must hold off until I get this cube of mine going.

Rbacchiega
05-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I must admit, Greg is my SPS guru. I pretty much went "this is the setup, these are the lights...make my tank pretty"

and judging by the pictures I've been looking at, this tank is gonna be a knockout.

Snaz
05-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Is the rock "dead"? Will you not have to wait a million years for it to become live again and suitable for supporting delicate fish which I thought these gobies were? Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Rbacchiega
05-20-2009, 06:47 AM
actually...once I found the scape I liked...I sorta cemented it together and it's sitting in the sump of my 90 gallon...hopefully this will equal a quick and easy cycle. :D

BlueAbyss
05-20-2009, 06:56 AM
OMG I just got the House of Love thing, with the male and female gobies. Nice...

Man, am I dense :mrgreen:

Rbacchiega
05-21-2009, 05:27 PM
picking up the little darlings tomorrow!

BlueAbyss
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Nice can't wait for pics! I love yashias, my second favourite goby.

Rbacchiega
05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
second?!?! first being?????

BlueAbyss
05-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Greissinger's (aka Flame Prawn) Goby... but it's a close race. The Yashia would win because it's cheaper, but I like the orange and red.

Rbacchiega
05-22-2009, 11:01 PM
*looked up flame prawn goby*

Holy mother eff....must find me a pair of those! (for a different tank obviously)

Well, I'm happy to report that Johnny and June ( :D ) have settled in nicely to their temporary home in the Quarantine tank. And both of them already ate some PE mysis (about 1-2 mysis each LOL) I can see this is going to be fun keeping the nutrients etc down in the display tank when the time comes LOL

I was worried about how to prevent the gobies from jumping, should the situation arise...because they'd be able to get through the egg crate with no problem. Solution? I used the old screen lids from some 10 gallon reptile tanks...I dont' imagine it'll effect the lighting too much (very fine mesh and lots of holes) but it'll keep the little darlings in the tank.

SOOOOOOOOOOO STOKED

H20 in T-minus 9 days!

BlueAbyss
05-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Gah, I haven't phoned the glass place yet, I just finalized sizing plans last night :lol:... good thing water and rock doesn't have to be in until July!

Good to hear that your little guy and girl are settling in nicely!

Hmm you'll have water in before I have even built the tanks. I shoulda gone with the 10 gallon :mrgreen:

Rbacchiega
05-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I very well could (and should) have my tank setup June 1st LOL. Rock is sitting in the sump of my established 90 gallon, I can grab the 8 or 9 gallons of water I need from the 90 as well. WHABAM! tank. LOL

Rbacchiega
06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
*yawn...stretch* hello Canreefers! I'm sorry for not being on here as much as I used to, but have been uber busy as of late. This tank is up and running...going through some diatom bloom of death, but I'll grab pictures when I get home!

Blom
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
upsetting that you have a life. you should be living vicariously through this forum

Zoaelite
06-10-2009, 06:54 PM
upsetting that you have a life. you should be living vicariously through this forum

Did you just watch a Dos Equis commercial or something :lol:?
Levi

Blom
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Did you just watch a Dos Equis commercial or something :lol:?
Levi

mmm the most interesting beer in the world.

Rbacchiega
06-11-2009, 01:08 AM
stay thirsty my friends

karazy
06-11-2009, 01:52 AM
*waiting for pics*:lol:

Blom
06-11-2009, 05:34 AM
stay thirsty my friends

Oh I am... I am.

Rbacchiega
06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Alright. Yashia's are going through some issues right now, so they're in quarantine being treated... So uh, here's a tank full of some rock and...stuff.

Overflow in operation:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1910.jpg

"short" side/front of cube:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1912.jpg

...other side? of Cubeishnesh!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/DSCF1913.jpg
There, Evan....happy?! LOL

I'm holding off doing too much to this tank until I get back from Saskatoon. Then there'll be more stuff to look at. *sigh*

Skimmerking
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
not too shabby there kido i like it alot. what about making a over hang out of Pcv 1/2" pipe to have the rock suspended. if its not to late just a thought other then that looks great.

Rbacchiega
06-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Good idea bud! I might just do that actually...quick PVC skeleton or something along the lines. *looks at tank* herm...

On a completely un related note, in doing research for a sleeve that I'm working on a buddy of mine, I found out what your name means...demon of lust eh? LOL

karazy
06-22-2009, 05:42 PM
haha, lookin good randi!

Skimmerking
06-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Good idea bud! I might just do that actually...quick PVC skeleton or something along the lines. *looks at tank* herm...

On a completely un related note, in doing research for a sleeve that I'm working on a buddy of mine, I found out what your name means...demon of lust eh? LOL

actually in HEBREW its POWER, and if you look it up Asmodeus is the greater devil of the 9 planes of hell too.

Rbacchiega
06-23-2009, 06:24 AM
well then LOL.

Odd how one word can be translated into totally different things. Anywho....

christyf5
07-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Anyone home? We need a pic for this month, due july 15 :biggrin: