PDA

View Full Version : Medic!!!!! Medic!!!!!!

Pazil
05-05-2009, 02:45 AM
I am in need of some help.... My clown has had an infection of some kind or perhaps a parasite. Any idea on what this might be and how to treat.

Some backround.... I have had this clown for about 6 months and have never had any issues what so ever with her, She is mated in the tank and the male (nor any other fish) have any illnesses. She is still eating aggressively and shows no other signs of illness or stress.

Any help here is appreciated.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/ClownLarge.jpg

Cheers
Lawrence

i have crabs
05-05-2009, 03:06 AM
looks like a bite mark to me, id watch it for a few days and just feed well mix in the garlic and vitamins if you have some already.if it gets worse or the area around it starts getting red then id worry and treat for a bacterial infection if you have a qt available

Pazil
05-05-2009, 03:12 AM
No QT Avail...... this has been there for about a week and when I first noticed it... it looked like a small gash or bite or mark of some kind.... which I really did not think was a big deal..... But now although not completely noticable in the pic is that it is rising... Almost like a bump.:sad:

i have crabs
05-05-2009, 04:38 AM
ive has simular marks on my clown before and im quite shure its a bite from the other clown, ive always let it heal on its own, i never really paid much mind to how long it took though, if its infected the area around it will get red.

Pazil
05-05-2009, 04:46 AM
I will keep a close eye on her... Thanks for the input

Cheers
Lawrence

sitandwatch
05-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Not sure what the problem is, but nice macro shot.

fishytime
05-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Almost looks like a fungus to me...possibly secondary to the bite? When was your last water change? Have you tested for ammonia, trites, trates? Could, not be healing well do to water quality? Not saying you got dirty water....just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Pazil
05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Doug... I did a 30g. water change last weekend and just ran a full battery of test yesterday. The results were;

NH3 - .1 (been this way for several months... maybe the test kit I am useing)
NO2 - Undetectable
NO3 - Undetectable
KH - 120
CA - 450
PH 8.1
SG - 1.027 (then I did a few water top off) - 1.026

Thats all the tests I have.

An update.. This morning the bump looks slightly less raised but somewhat brownish / red.... Starting to get very concerned...:sad::sad:. She is still not showing any signs of stress and Ate very well. I have been feeding foods soaked in garlic and vitamins.

Almost looks like a fungus to me...possibly secondary to the bite? When was your last water change? Have you tested for ammonia, trites, trates? Could, not be healing well do to water quality? Not saying you got dirty water....just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Pazil
05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Any other thoughts?

sphelps
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
My clowns get the same marks, I think it's from the hammer coral they host, do yours host a type of coral instead of anemone?

Pazil
05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
My clowns get the same marks, I think it's from the hammer coral they host, do yours host a type of coral instead of anemone?

They host in a hammer as well...could be the problem perhaps. I have tried to get them in the anemone but no luck:sad:

Thanks
Lawrence

fishytime
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Well it is in a frogspawn in the picture:razz:

fishytime
05-05-2009, 05:16 PM
She shows no interest in your BTA? Its does kinda look like a euphilia(sp?) sting.

Pazil
05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Well it is in a frogspawn in the picture:razz:

Don't you have anything constructive to add?....I know this already, my bad...:lol::lol:

Pazil
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
She shows no interest in your BTA? Its does kinda look like a euphilia(sp?) sting.

That's better....THANKS:biggrin:

Pazil
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM

I think the proper spelling of it is EUPHYLLIA:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

fishytime
05-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Like others said, and you are already doing, feed with vits and garlic....monitor her closely...if the wound or surrounding damage spreads and/or she stops eating, you will need to pull her out and medicate with probably an antibacterial type med.

What have you tried to get her to host the nem?

Pazil
05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Like others said, and you are already doing, feed with vits and garlic....monitor her closely...if the wound or surrounding damage spreads and/or she stops eating, you will need to pull her out and medicate with probably an antibacterial type med.

What have you tried to get her to host the nem?

I have just placed the anemone close to where they are and carefully tried to persuade them with a net towards it....I don't know what else I could do. But I would love to get them to host in it!

fishytime
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Try putting a mirror behind the nem. The theory is she will try and check out the other clown and find the nem.

Pazil
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Believe it or not... this conversation has has re-inspired me to try to introduce them to the nem again.... I moved the rock (temporarily) closer to them ... right under the frogspawn and she has ventured into it... she is now jumping back and forth from one to another...... I will leave it there for a few hours and then move the nem back to the front of the tank.... I really don't want it moving onto the reef.:mrgreen::mrgreen: Hopefully they will tag along for the short ride and stay in the digs. If not I will try the mirror trick.

Thanks for the inspiration Doug.....:lol::lol:

Cheers
Lawrence

sphelps
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
They host in a hammer as well...could be the problem perhaps. I have tried to get them in the anemone but no luck:sad:

Yeap same here, at one point I had three bubble tips in the tank. They have however been in the hammer for about a year now and the spots come and go, I don't think it's a big deal.

fishytime
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think it's a big deal.

Tell that to the hammer.:mrgreen:

Pazil
05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
They def. stress out the FROG's:lol:.... I would be much happier if they just did what they were told:biggrin:

AndyL
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Lawrence - if you're interested - do have a 20g sitting unused in the basement you're welcome to borrow for a qt.

Andy

Pazil
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Lawrence - if you're interested - do have a 20g sitting unused in the basement you're welcome to borrow for a qt.

Andy

Thanks Andy.. I may take you up on that if things get any worse. I appriciate the offer.

Cheers
Lawrence