PDA

View Full Version : Balling method- whos using?

iansfishy
05-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I am currently in the process of moving my tanks and am wanting to get rid of my calcium reactor. Is anyone using the "balling" method and are they happy with it Specifically the Fauna Marin one? I have been adding kalk with my top off water because my reactor cant keep up, so a seperate reservoir is needed. To me it makes sense and there is less equipment. I also like the idea ef being able to dial in diffrent things. so if anyone is using let me know how its going. Any additional additives, problems, eveything. Thanks.

purplepolypeater
05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
i am i like it i just wish calcium probes were cheaper and lasted longer so i would only have to worry about waterchanges. :lol:

don.ald
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
i use the stand alone doser (3 pump) and fauna additives. works great and is easy to use.

christyf5
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I've been using it for about 2-3 weeks now and like it so far. I don't use the FM additives though. I bought the chemicals from chemmaster and mixed them up according to randy holmes-farley's recipe.

mark
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
i use the stand alone doser (3 pump) and fauna additives. works great and is easy to use.

Since no contoller, how are you keeping the levels in check, is the doser variable flow or on a timer?

don.ald
05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Since no contoller, how are you checking the levels in check, is the doser variable flow or on a timer?

i have the stand alone doser...controller is built-in.
http://www.progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=PL-0506

Reefer Rob
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I've been using pure 2 part (3 part) for about 2 1/2 years. Before that I used a mixture of Kalk and 2 part. Gave up the kalk as a bad habit. Never owned a calcium reactor, seems complicated a hazardous to me.

Now I use a Profilux controller with doser, but any accurate pump and timer will do.

Usually end up checking ca, alk and mg every 3 or 4 weeks. It's pointless to check it any more often once you get the system "dialed in".

One day I'll try the FM additives just to see if they do anything. For now I just dose Iodine, and a small amount of Iron for my Macroalgae.

Rob

Tom R
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I have a ProfiLux controller and 3 stage dosing station.

I have been using it for about 2 months now and like it so far.

I don't use the FM additives though. I bought the chemicals from Bulk Reeg Supply and mixed them up according to the BRS recipe.

Tom R

fkshiu
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I used RHF's three-part recipe with BRS and Chemaster chemicals for several years by hand dosing. It worked well but I found I had to keep up with water changes or my SG would slowly increase. I switched to a CaRx mainly because I was tired of hand dosing. I'll admit that when it came down to buying a doser or a CaRx, the Rx offered more new toys for me to play around with. I'm happy with my CaRx as well, for the record.