PDA

View Full Version : mojano infest

mossman604
05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
so i put my good rock from my 40 into my 75 and set it up, the 100 lbs of mojano infested rock i put in a rubbermaid container, after 3 day it really started to stink like dead body stink. so i moved it outside. it has been a week now i made up a 5g bucket to rinse the rock off and im making more since the water has formed a membrane over the surface and there are about 1000 mojanos on the bottom of the rubbermaid, im letting the rock sit in an empty bucket for a while till my new water is ready.

any comments, am i doing things that are bad¿

Madreefer
05-04-2009, 01:58 AM
You might have some spikes when you put that rock in your system. I'm assuming you have the rocks in a waterless container. If so I would put some SW in with a powerhead and a heater. Maybe even a light. But thats just me. I really hope that works for you on the mojano problem. I've been doing a weekly "killing" on those things.

golf nut
05-04-2009, 02:11 AM
I found a trick to get mojano was to turn off all the lights and put a small bulb in a jar that floated below the surface, the mojano would migrate to the outside of the jar and then were easily removed.

mossman604
05-04-2009, 02:12 AM
i have to blast at least 5 every day, is this normal. im getting sick of it

golf nut
05-04-2009, 02:16 AM
i have to blast at least 5 every day, is this normal. im getting sick of it
Blast? Dynamite? Plastic explosive or Joes Juice? keep the water fresh, use a powerhead and try the lights.

Madreefer
05-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Seachem Reef Kalwasser 1kg $26.15
Makes a fair amount of Kalk paste.

Joes Juice approx 1tsp of Kalkwasser powder and water $9.35
The makers of this are probably sitting pretty happy. Nice profits.

Not tryin to hijack

reeferious
05-05-2009, 03:03 AM
i wouldn't bother with joe's juice or anyother useless chemical means of ridding your tank of pesky anemonies (you'll never get them all unless you dismantle your rockworks and apply gobs and gobs of these expensive do nothings to each and every pests. that might not work either since some might be entrenched deep inside your rocks. having gone thru above steps with no 100% remedy cure i ended up getting a seagrass filefish, a bicolor angel and an aruga butterfly which ate my lord acan but hasn't touched any corals since. what i did was b/4 i added these to my tank i would quarantine and feed them nothing except adding bunch of mushed up mojanos. after 3 days i would release them into display tank but continue to feed nothing except nori strips which my tangs can't get enough of. b/4 week was over they would hunt down every mojanos that must have numbered in the hundreds. current situation 2 mojanos barely peeping out from deep inside rocks, a bicolor angel, an aruga butterfly and a filefish which i named kitty cat(absolutely lovely green cat's eyes).

mossman604
05-05-2009, 03:07 AM
thanks ill try that, im setting up my 40 again to put the rock that was infested with mojanos in