PDA

View Full Version : Low Alkalinity and new Kent measurements..

EmilyB
07-01-2003, 04:37 AM
I have had an encroaching cyano problem which I have dealt with in all the traditional methods. I replaced all my ro/di components as well.

Eventually, I measured the alkalinity... :rolleyes: It didn't surprise me that the 120g (after removal of the sandbed) suffered a bit. It did surprise me that all the other tanks still had low alk after totally redoing the ro/di.

So tonite, I measured my mixed SW (mixed for a while). Kent salt which has done us well for over four years, and my my alk has been on the bingman equilibrium with my Ca (which is over 400). The older mixed sw was at 2.2. I figured something was up with the old plastic container. So I mixed a fresh batch at 1.026 - 76F and it read 2.6. Lower than NSW.

I have been buffering the 120g, never occurred to me it was a source problem. Is this something new?

BTW, test kits were the old ones, salifert, and the brand new ones, salifert, measured exactly the same.....good review for salifert Kh and Ca

Delphinus
07-01-2003, 05:13 AM
I'm not entirely certain I follow, but let me see if I get this right. Traditionally, you have relied on your makeup water to maintain alkalinity; lately, your makeup water has less alkalinity than it used to; consequently your tank alkalinities are lower than where you would like them to be.

Well that seems rather odd to me. Given what you say, if your RO/DI was spot on before, and it's spot on now, then the difference must be the salt itself. New recipe or just a maybe a luck of the draw bad batch?

But I wonder if it makes sense to dwell on the reason, because to me alklinity is one of those things that gets used up rather quickly, and the consumption accelerates as things get more numerous (or more realistically, they grow and get bigger). It seems to me, and this is only my opinion of course, but if you're taking good care of your tanks, alkalinity by makeup water is going to eventually face a point of diminishing returns. You might need to start looking for other means of replenishing alk. Two part additives work well but if you're already married to your tanks that won't help (ie., one more thing to fuss about on a daily basis); then there's kalk, cheap like borsht (sp. ???) but not entirely risk-free, or there's the homemade buffer solution (yeah but it's washing soda .... ??? :eek: ) .. or there's the calcium reactor idea.

I dunno ... it's just an idea I throw out there.

"Calcium reactors ... they're not just for SPS tanks anymore!!" :razz:

EmilyB
07-01-2003, 05:24 AM
If it was one tank, the oldest, and not all three, I would think differently all right.

Yes, my alk and ca has always been in equilibrium with water changes until now.

EmilyB
07-01-2003, 05:25 AM
Is this the Ca Reactor for sale forum now?? :eek:

Delphinus
07-01-2003, 05:30 AM
Oh -- it's only one tank? Then I for sure would be looking to bioload as a possible cause. The oldest tank is the 155g? I'm afraid I don't remember ... but don't you have more SPS in there now? If so you may have your culprit. Those stoneys will pull alk out of the water like it's nobody's business -- even a few little frags sometimes is all it's takes and suddenly you'll notice your coraline disappearing.

Them fuzzy sticks I tell ya ... much trouble they can cause! (um ... I'm not sure why I slipped into Yoda tongue there .. whups..)

Delphinus
07-01-2003, 05:32 AM
No .. wait .. you said IF it was the oldest ... OK never mind I didn't notice that "If" part.

I have no idea what to suggest then. Have you a different bucket of salt you can try? I wonder if your salt is suspect.

EmilyB
07-03-2003, 04:46 AM
Brad, Jon? I don't know, but I think you guys use Kent. Have you measured the alk of your replacement saltwater?

:confused:

The problem has been fixed by buffering. I am also stunned by the rapid disappearance of the cyano. However, since I never did it the first four years, it is odd that my newly mixed saltwater is so low in alk. :confused:

As I say, I always measured tank alk at nsw values previous to this.

AJ_77
07-03-2003, 05:03 AM
The problem has been fixed by buffering.
What didja buffer with?

EmilyB
07-03-2003, 05:24 AM
After exhausting all my laundry products............ :rolleyes: just kidding...

Seachem marine buffer. :mrgreen:

Going to buffer the next water change water, until we figure out the problem.

Canadian Man
07-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Brad, Jon? I don't know, but I think you guys use Kent. Have you measured the alk of your replacement saltwater?

:confused:

The problem has been fixed by buffering. I am also stunned by the rapid disappearance of the cyano. However, since I never did it the first four years, it is odd that my newly mixed saltwater is so low in alk. :confused:

As I say, I always measured tank alk at nsw values previous to this.

Yes I use Kent salt. Last time I mesured a newly mixed batch of salt (kent) it came out at about 3.4ish meq/l.

Aquattro
07-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Em, I don't use it anymore. I went back to IO.