PDA

View Full Version : The "Patific" Ocean

paddyob
05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
20 Gallon nano - 130w PC w/moon - HOT Magnum 250 - RIO Nano Skimmer - 25lb Live rock Pair of W/C Ocellaris CUC Green bubble-tip red Frog Spawn green Sinularia Kenya Tree Toadstool Pipe Organ PALY - Red, green skirt Zoa - Red,purple mouth - Neon orange - Orange/brown - green,brown skt

fishytime
05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
????

Canuckgod420
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
????

+1

parkinsn
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
is this your tank that your selling. or what you are running? or.......

paddyob
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I am not sure what the question is. this is my tank journal. all that has been listed is my tank info.

parkinsn
05-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Ahhhhh ok. Then lets see some pic's :biggrin:

paddyob
05-02-2009, 03:46 PM
is this your tank that your selling. or what you are running? or.......

its my tank. its in the journal not the buy/sell Section. has it posted wrong?

paddyob
05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
How do you post pics in a thread?

paddyob
05-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I had a move in January, that caused a biological crash. this is me, basically starting over. this is where the tank is today. looks ok, but needs time to grow.

Rbacchiega
05-02-2009, 03:57 PM
open a photobucket account, and then copy and past the section that's labled [IMG]... that's the easiest way to do it

fishytime
05-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Oh...I thought that information was in your signature....:redface:

paddyob
05-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I had a move in January, that caused a biological crash. this is me, basically starting over. this is where the tank is today. looks ok, but needs time to grow.

paddyob
05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Today i noticed yet another new orange zoa. they seem to enjoy a protein skimmer, but my palys do not. the paly Colony thrives when it is off. i assume it enjoys nutrient rich water, vs my zoos that like it crystal. always a challenge in nano Reefing. thank god i love this hobby. definately not boring. and after 3 Years or so in salt water i am still addicted.

paddyob
05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Ill be taking some pictures today, for those who expressed interest. some of the coral i had three years, but suffered due to the crash and parts did not survive. the tank is again in growing stage and the remaining corals look great. i cant wait! if you have any suggestions in coral additions, please let me know. i want to try new things now that there is room to play again. thanks.

Johnny Reefer
05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Patific Ocean? I don't get it. Or is that just a typo? :confused:

christyf5
05-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Patific Ocean? I don't get it. Or is that just a typo? :confused:

Well his name is paddyob. I just assumed his name was Patrick, hence the PAT part :wink:

Johnny Reefer
05-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Ya, thanx Christy. I kinda figured that too, later. I'm reeeeaaaalllllly bored tonight. (Sorry Pat :wink:).

Cheers,

paddyob
05-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Well his name is paddyob. I just assumed his name was Patrick, hence the PAT part :wink:

Ha ha. it is just a cheesy play on words. ha ha. yes, due to be being named Pat. thanks for noticing.

Myka
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
So where's the pics? :D

paddyob
05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
So where's the pics? :D

Sorry... no computer at home but good news is... i have a new canon 40D... wait til you see these pics. i will try my best to post some today.

paddyob
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Sorry for the delay. there are some bad pics in my profile to hold you over. i have been moving stuff to try optimize my space. today i picked up what i was told is a "3rd Generation morph" of hornet zoanthids. yes nice and all open in the store. lighter blue then true hornets But really nice. i only bought a single head this time as i am cost wary after losing my last ones. if it Acclimates Well ill try get it posted soon to be seen.

paddyob
05-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I just got a Sweet deal on rock. a place on west end is shutting down their tank. they asked 5 Per pound but i negotiated better. walked out with about 9 pounds and she threw in the zoos attached to one piece. super porous cured rock = Large pieces at lower weigt. and it has been in their tank 5 Years. i only paid like 21 People just want it gone. made my day.

paddyob
05-08-2009, 07:49 PM
OK... here are some pics.... I have been moving my tank around alot since the crash in January, so it is a baby tank. I added 4-5 pounds of rock to this tank yesterday and had to move stuff around. So I think it looks pretty (bad) right now... but I am never satisfied.... here is a link to my photobucket album. It is the first time I have tried this, so if any issues let me know.

http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu253/paddyob/

Patrick

PS... once the tank is finished moving around... I mean when I am finished... Ill put more up.

paddyob
05-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Things are settling in after all the shuffling of rocks. added a small sun coral that i was given, but unsure how it will do in my tank. have tried feeding it but my crabs and shrimp keep taking it out Of the tubes. asides from that, i love my tank. cant wait til it grows into itself again.

bignose
05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
That blue steel zoa will look great once it spreads.

paddyob
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Just added some "Pink Gorilla Nipple" Zoanthids. look really nice. next week i am "expecting" A Red/green favia And heart of atlantis zoas. i ordered them through a group order and hope i actually What i ordered , and that it is alive. hoping. I was also given a sun coral last week, but may pass it to someone if they want it as does not have a good spot in my tank and worried i will not keep it successfully.

paddyob
05-29-2009, 12:44 AM
In my tank i now have the following... (A) ZOANTHIDS: Heart of Atlantis, Darth Mauls, KedReds, Pink Panthers, Pink Gorilla Nipples, Green Tomatos, Blue Steel (not doing good), and no name Cream orange mouth/orange skirt. (B) PALYS... gold skirt, metallic red/green skirt, bright pink/green skirt. (C) LPS... red Favia/Green mouth, red frogspawn/Green tips. (D) sun coral, Sinularia, kenya tree, Devils Hand, Pipe Organ and a nice little Green bubble-tip Anemone.

noirsphynx
05-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Green Tomatos? What do those look like, any pics?

What are you giving for donation? I don't want to give a double since I know we have some of the same stuff.

subman
05-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Hey Pat whats the name of this one?

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu253/paddyob/palys.jpg

noirsphynx
05-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Hey Pat whats the name of this one?

Those are the fluorescent orange ones from AI, right Patrick.

paddyob
05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Those are the fluorescent orange ones from AI, right Patrick.

I cant see the pic he posted (phone browser) but if its the one dearest Dawn is waiting for, its called "Darth Maul Zoanthids". recently found out they are super rare, and i may be only one of six people locally to have these (according to the source i obtained them from) . And Dawn, looks like 12 Now! once they grow to the right place, ill figure out how to frag it. very short and flat stems.

paddyob
05-30-2009, 04:09 PM
My largest blue steel is melting away bottom up. Cut it off and cut away bad tissue as polyp Still opening. had a couple babies so did not want it on remainin colony. glued head to another rock to see if my attempt at removing tissue would help. worth the try... on the way out. little buggers.

noirsphynx
05-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I cant see the pic he posted (phone browser) but if its the one dearest Dawn is waiting for, its called "Darth Maul Zoanthids". recently found out they are super rare, and i may be only one of six people locally to have these (according to the source i obtained them from) . And Dawn, looks like 12 Now! once they grow to the right place, ill figure out how to frag it. very short and flat stems.

Nope wasn't the Darth Maul's but I can't wait for that one!!! It's the ones from Aquarium Illusions that they sell per head, I think $15 or $20/head. I have a large & small frag of them for sale. One's going to be a donation.

noirsphynx
05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
My largest blue steel is melting away bottom up. Cut it off and cut away bad tissue as polyp Still opening. had a couple babies so did not want it on remainin colony. glued head to another rock to see if my attempt at removing tissue would help. worth the try... on the way out. little buggers.

Hopefully you were able to save it or at least save the babies. I had three heads, down to 2 now. One detached from the frag and is lost in my tank. I have one head that's opening but the second isn't fully opening. These darn zoas are tricky.

Boomboy
05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
ive got one polyp of the picture up there, it was 15 bucks a head, now i got 3 so i save myself 30 bucks, i took a look at the blue steel zoas also, they all seemed to not being doing to good, at AI, so i didnt bother getting them, also they are 10 bucks a polyp and looks like at least 5-6 polyps per frag, no thanks, i wait and see if anyone can keep those suckers alive. i heard low light, high flow.

paddyob
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
i took a look at the blue steel zoas also, they all seemed to not being doing to good, at AI, so i didnt bother getting them, also they are 10 bucks a polyp and looks like at least 5-6 polyps per frag, no thanks, i wait and see if anyone can keep those suckers alive. i heard low light, high flow.

The blue steel i removed and re-glued is now completely open... Minus the inner yellow ring. funny its open after "surgery" hoping it keeps on going. bad all over place.

noirsphynx
05-30-2009, 11:46 PM
ive got one polyp of the picture up there, it was 15 bucks a head, now i got 3 so i save myself 30 bucks, i took a look at the blue steel zoas also, they all seemed to not being doing to good, at AI, so i didnt bother getting them, also they are 10 bucks a polyp and looks like at least 5-6 polyps per frag, no thanks, i wait and see if anyone can keep those suckers alive. i heard low light, high flow.

I started with one polyp of those orange ones(Pretty sure they might be "Armour of God" Paly's) about 8 months ago and now have between 25-30 heads already. They grow really well for me.
When I bought the BS they were looking really good. I'm praying I can get them to survive and multiply. Yes, I find they do better in a high flow, low light area. I tried them in lower flow areas but they wouldn't open.

paddyob
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
I forced my bubble tip out from the back of my rock wall, finally. added a power head and aimed it at the back of my tank and out he came. he has been hiding for a month. the blue steel is open again. day two of surgery. not sure how, as i removed half of its stem due to rotting.

Boomboy
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
take some pics of how they are doing and post them, keep a tally, because i wouldnt mind getting some now that i know some people can take care of em.

paddyob
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
take some pics of how they are doing and post them, keep a tally, because i wouldnt mind getting some now that i know some people can take care of em.

It has now closed. was open yesterday, but closed early afternoon and stayed closed. dying all over north america. all over. i dont know anyone personally who has been successful keeping them. this is headed to my second, and last, lost colony. i feel bad, as my LFS Bought 50 Rocks and most are dying. wild collection

noirsphynx
06-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I was skimming through others forums last night on these zoas. They're wild african blue zoanthids and apparantly it's not just the ones here that don't survive. All over the US most anyone who owns them has lost them and they all do the same thing, receed and disappear. I'm now down to one polyp and I have my fingers crossed it survives and that maybe I've found the right location in my tank for it now. It's open and thriving.................for now.

paddyob
06-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Huge write up on r. central too. everywhere. people say they are having luck, then write later that they died. have not seen anything to indicate true success

paddyob
06-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Tonight i am going to trade my sun coral. i am too lazy, i feel, for this coral. as it requires daily feeding, it is high maintenance. i will miss it as it is super cool looking, but it is in the interest of helping it survive and flourish. at least it is going to a friend so i can visit ha ha. either way, it is better going to someone dedicated to feeding. maybe ill have another some day. who knows.

fishytime
06-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Tonight i am going to trade my sun coral. i am too lazy, i feel, for this coral. as it requires daily feeding, it is high maintenance. i will miss it as it is super cool looking, but it is in the interest of helping it survive and flourish. at least it is going to a friend so i can visit ha ha. either way, it is better going to someone dedicated to feeding. maybe ill have another some day. who knows.

Yup...definitely a high maintenance coral...as if maintaining the tank itself wasnt enough huh?....Exactly the reason I dont have a sun coral....or dendro....or duncan....:lol: Whatcha trading for?

paddyob
06-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Yup...definitely a high maintenance coral...as if maintaining the tank itself wasnt enough huh?....Exactly the reason I dont have a sun coral....or dendro....or duncan....:lol: Whatcha trading for?

He gave me some choice so i took a nice candy cane frag

paddyob
06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Tonight i am getting my first sps. believe its called cats paw. super nice. being fragged At AI. pick it up at 5 today. this is too fun.

noirsphynx
06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
What color? I'm going to AI today too. Might as well since I'm on the West side anyway tonight.

paddyob
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
What color? I'm going to AI today too. Might as well since I'm on the West side anyway tonight.

Its got greeny polyps. .

paddyob
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Appears my candy cane is more likely blastomussa. nice. also got my first sps. cats paw. green-blue polyps. i like it.

bignose
06-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Pat you really need to get a computer so we can SEE everything!!:lol:

paddyob
06-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Today i added a new frag. a bright red chalice coral. really nice. so now i want, one, maybe two more pieceS and this tank will be fine. i had an overgrown tank before the crash, and not wanting that again. i also removed my kenya tree and devils hand. trying less soft coral (only kept sinularia and zoas) As i understand they can be rough on small tanks. worth an experiment. still at 17 -18 Corals. not too bad. Cant wait for the growth cycle!

paddyob
06-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Yesterday i added a scooter Dragonette. someone was selling it for $5 on here. threw in four hermits too as shutting his tank down. i am still waiting for a rainford goby From someone else shutting their tank down and then im adding a six line wrasse To finish the fish package. today ill probably buy new bulbs for my tank as it has been a year since i did. other than that. my little tank is coming along. have space for more coral, but not sure what yet.

BlueAbyss
06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I demand PICS! :lol:

On a side note, you may want to get some Tigger Pods or some other such thing to help your Scooter along, if you haven't already... they are like mandarins, and will need supplemental feeding in a small tank. Unless he's trained on frozen, in which case, RIGHT ON! (I love dragonettes :biggrin:)

paddyob
06-14-2009, 07:36 PM
The scooter Eats frozen. i had a mandarin Eating frozen for almost three years until my tank crashed. a bit of a chore, but i like them.

paddyob
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
ill try get my photo bucket updated. tank is coming together. needs some time for frags To grow, but you people know that scenario. ha ha. i wish corals were cheaper ha ha. frags Grow, but patience is not my best trait.

paddyob
06-19-2009, 04:41 PM
I have some sort of red algae growing, it seems, exclusively on my zoas. it almost peels Off by hand it little sheets. it is preventing them from opening. anyone seen this or know how to cure it? once i remove this stuff, the zoas Open again.

BlueAbyss
06-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Hmm, could be similar to the evil red fuzz that I had. It never got out of hand for me (and never grew on anything since the tank is new)...
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/TheVastMajority/002-4.jpg

Is it like the furry red spots in this pic? If so, my blue legged hermit devoured it overnight, but there was only a few scattered areas with it. He also ate the burgundy velvet stuff that was growing on the rocks (it wasn't cyano, it was some other kind of algae).

paddyob
06-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Well i finally found a six line. tried getting one on here without luck. tried every store in town, literally, and finally found one. it is beautiful. a nice addition to my tank.

paddyob
06-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I have added an aussie duncan And a belle zoa. up to 20 Corals in 20 Gallons. although, my darth maul zoas Are not doing well. i was up to 13 polyps But had two detach and wither and for some reason only 5 Open. not sure why. i hear hard to keep. sad day. i hope they pull through.

Pazil
06-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I am not sure what causes zoas to do this.. I have had 2 colonies almost wither away to nothing over the past few weeks.... Both had approx 40-50 polyps and are now down to maybe 6-10 each..... At the same time I have about 30 different types of zoas in the tank and all of the rest are thriving...even the ones right next to each of the mentioned colonies... Go figure.

paddyob
07-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Tank is looking pretty good. I will try get some pictures uploaded soon. Not much more I can add to it now. Just trading stuff out for other stuff is about all I could do.

Patrick:mrgreen:

fishytime
07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
There is always something to do with the tank:mrgreen:...pruning...upgrading equipment...recently I have taken to testing the bajeebers out of the tank in an effort to confuse the heck out of myself....that has kept me occupied:lol:

Wheres those pics:razz:

paddyob
10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
In the last while... added a wicked Coral Beauty angel and my little green anemone has split. Yes I did take some pics of the tank and will get things together for posting.

My tank has needed some rearranging, again, to accomodate all thats in there. I also added new lights... URI 12000k/Super Actinic.... my tank exploded after this... colonies are soaking it up!

Patrick

paddyob
10-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Aussie Duncan ( Thanks Dawn - looks great!)
Frogspawn ( Red with neon green tips)
Red Chalice
Red/Green mouth Favia
Neon Green CandyCane
Cats Paw SPS - pinky-brown with light blue polyps

Green Long tentacle Anemone ( split last week!! )thers

Zoas:
-KeddRedd
-Darth Mauls (holding at 1 lager and several tiny ones since die off!!)
-Pink Panthers
-Purple Fission
-Dragon Eyes ( I think-will confirm name soon)
-Ring of Fire
-Belles (6 polyps now - from one, Thanks Dawn, doing well now!)
-Heart of Atlantis/Blue Shuriken?
Zoa name unknown:
-Green cross centre/reddish skirt
-Neon green skirt, blue ring, orange mouth
-Neon green skirt, skin color ring, yellow/green mouth

Neon Red Paly with Green skirt ( struggling for 3 years )

I think that covers it. I had to move stuff around and take stuff out as was just to cramped the way it was. Looks good right now... space for a branching coral of some sort. Taking suggestions.:lol:

paddyob
10-30-2009, 03:57 AM
SO I have started feeding my coral on a regular basis again, and things are exploding.

The exception being my Darth Maul Zoas.... they have again started to shrink... do not have high hopes for this colony. Went from 7 to 13 to 1 and a couple babies..... now big one not opening... this has happened over several months... 6 or so.. I cant explain it.

Anyhow... tooks pics tonight.. hopefully crop and post by weekend.

Boomboy
10-31-2009, 03:37 AM
update with not pics EPIC FAIL!!! i play to many video games. that sucks about the colony

fishytime
10-31-2009, 03:58 AM
Have you got the "Mauls" out directly in the light?.... Ive noticed that some zoanthids dont like intense amount of light....have you tried putting them in the shade?

paddyob
11-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Have you got the "Mauls" out directly in the light?.... Ive noticed that some zoanthids dont like intense amount of light....have you tried putting them in the shade?

I run a 20 so hard to keep anything out of the light. They are now lower in the tank... sandbed... and they just seem to hang on.

Working on pics right now... maybe up today ( wow friken PROCRASTINATOR).