PDA

View Full Version : Foam or not

bullit67
05-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Well I am going to set up my new 300 gallon (72X36X27) marineland tank this week end. And was debating on if I should put a sheet of foam under the tank I didnt with my 265. I was thinking it might help level the tank as the floor drops about 1/8 of an inch as the tank is on an outside wall. What dose every one think and what did you use sheet or weather strip and how thick?

banditpowdercoat
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
If the tank is flat bottom, then foam. If it has the molding strip around the tank, No foam. he tank is designed to sit on the molding strip. Foam doesn't really level a tank anyways. The stand needs to be lever to start with. What the foam does is relives the possible pressure points if the glass was sitting flat on the stand.

Doug
05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I have always done the same as Dan said. Custom built frameless with flat glass bottom, I use foam.

Black framed standard store aquarium like Oceanic, All Glass, etc. No foam. In fact I remember a thread on Rc where it was said that foam under one of those models would void warranty. As I said I read it, so take it fwiw. I have not used foam under my framed models, the largest being a 90g only.

My largest tank was a standard 225g 5/8th glass framless, under which I had foam.

bullit67
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Yah that is kind of what I was thinking But I never thought about voiding the warranty I dont think shimming a stand this big is a good idea either I will just live with the 1/8 of an inch but I am thinking it might be worse with this tank as my 265 is only 24 inch and this tank in 36 so it might amplify the problem. I am hoping to get the stand in place today.