PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates Test kits and monitors!!!!!

24storm
05-02-2009, 05:05 AM
I hate test kits!!!

I have a Elos nitrate kit and its show a yellow orange as zero lite pink is 5 and as the pink gets darker the higher the nitrates you have. So i test and i get like an orange kinda color so what does that mean? Is that zero is that less than 5? I hate test kits.

I have a Pin point nitrate monitor. I recalibrate my meter and it says i have between 8 and 10 it changes every couple of minutes. Its a pin point monitor that i bought about a year ago. But i just got a brand new probe for it about a month ago direct from pin point.

Any thoughts?
Keith

Johnny Reefer
05-02-2009, 05:17 AM
I love my PP NO3 monitor. Directions say to wait one minute, so that's what I do. Whatever the reading is at one minute is what I go with. How old are your calibration fluids? I've had my monitor for only a few months. During that time, I can't help but think that the cal fluids get cross contamination from each other. I plan to get new cal fluids at one years time, whether I need them or not.

24storm
05-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Fluids are brand new they sent new ones with the new probe.

Have you compared it to a test kit? Are you getting the same reading you did before you got the monitor?

Do you leave yours in the tank all the time. I know the directions say not to but i have spoke to American marine and they say it is fine to leave it in.

Keith

I love my PP NO3 monitor. Directions say to wait one minute, so that's what I do. Whatever the reading is at one minute is what I go with. How old are your calibration fluids? I've had my monitor for only a few months. During that time, I can't help but think that the cal fluids get cross contamination from each other. I plan to get new cal fluids at one years time, whether I need them or not.

Doug
05-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I use the cheaper API nitrate test kit. Seems to work fine for me.

don.ald
05-02-2009, 02:31 PM
which sponsors carry the pp No3 monitor??

xtreme
05-02-2009, 03:33 PM
which sponsors carry the pp No3 monitor??

On sale at J&L right now:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/162/American+Marine+Pinpoint+Monitors.html

e46er
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
jesus 300 bux?? thats alot of test kits................

Delphinus
05-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, and the probes only last so long. I have one it's a complete paperweight. The replacement probe costs $200 so paperweight it stays for now. Not really a huge fan of the probe, takes 5 to 10 minutes to get a solid reading where it doesn't bounce around. I don't think the science is there personally.

Think Hanna makes a colorimeter for nitrates but don't get me started on the PO4 version. Hated that thing too.

And I hate test kits.

It's really a case of pick your poison.

RuGlu6
05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
jesus 300 bux?? thats alot of test kits................

x2
And you have to calibrate too, takes as much time as testisng... so whats the point spending so much?

Johnny Reefer
05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Have you compared it to a test kit? Are you getting the same reading you did before you got the monitor?

Do you leave yours in the tank all the time. I know the directions say not to but i have spoke to American marine and they say it is fine to leave it in.
My test kit readings were about ~ 1.5x what the PP says.
No, I don't leave the probe in. Would like to. If they says it's okay then....but....

...... The replacement probe costs $200 so paperweight it stays for now.

Think Hanna makes a colorimeter for nitrates but don't get me started on the PO4 version. Hated that thing too. .....
Yikes! $200. I didn't know that. I think I'll use mine only when I test. (ie: not in the tank all the time).
I have a Hanna PO4 as well, and ya, I'm not a big fan. It's the opposite of the PP NO3 in that it says my PO4 is through the roof. They say to shake the sample gently. Define gently. Even if I don't shake it at all, it still reads about 6x what I think it should/want it to read.

x2
And you have to calibrate too, takes as much time as testisng... so whats the point spending so much?
See post #1. For me, I couldn't stand trying to differentiate between colour shades on the colour chart of test kits anymore. At least with the PP it tells me what it thinks the level is to +/- 1ppm, instead of me trying to figure out what I think the level is based on a stupid colour chart with a high range between colours.

Cheers,