PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean Dosing

balistidae
05-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Im just curious what everyone else is adding to their water change water when using IO.
Specifically Alk, CA and Mg. Thanks!

hillegom
05-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I would like to know that as well

littlesilvermax
05-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Simple:

Don't add any alk, it is high enough already.

For every 1 US gallon of fresh water (RO, or RO/DI, or distilled)

-add 1.1 grams (0.2 tsp) variable from 0.6 to 1.3 grams of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate

-add 5.6 grams (1.3 tsps) of Magnesium Chloride (or the mix with mostly mag chloride, but also some Magnesium Sulfate [Epson salts} for better ionic balance) variable from 3.1 to 6.9 grams

THEN add the salt, let mix for at least a few hours.

Done'sville!

FWIW, the above is what I use for about 1.026 (or so s.g.) with my IO, and have been doing so for the pest 5 or 6 years. This assumes the water starts off at 11, 350, and 1180, and then ends up at 11, 430, and 1380.

Feel free to use a Reef Chemistry Calculator to custom tailor to your needs (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/%7Ejdieck1/chemcalc.html)

RuGlu6
05-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Im just curious what everyone else is adding to their water change water when using IO.
Specifically Alk, CA and Mg. Thanks!

There is a lot was discussed about magnesium etc dosing when using IO for water change in this tread. See last two pages.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51557&highlight=magnesium

Doug
05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
I broke this down from Ben, {chemmaster and who,s products I use for it}.

23g mix, 150ml magnesium...mix in ro water for awile then add 3 tsp. calcium. Usually mix it overnight or something, before adding salt.

I use for a 5g salt bucket of water.... 37ml magnesium & 3/4tsp. calcium.

I have heard the levels in new IO has been increased but this is still what I,m using. I add no magnesium to my tank itself and usually stays at the 1350ppm range.

For alk and calcium in the tank itself, I use Seachem 2 part. I would add no buffer to IO salt, as its usually pretty high in alkalinity already. Just use whatever is needed in the tank itself. Like mine or the cheaper stuff or any of the 2-parts. Or even when I dripped kalk, the alk. stayed pretty steady with the kalk drip buffering it enough, except for the odd time of adding a small bit of buffer.

:lol:. I see Ben posted while I was typing mine.

littlesilvermax
05-02-2009, 12:53 AM
I just finished my post with a few more details.:mrgreen:

Doug
05-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Good addition. The fwiw part is important.

balistidae
05-02-2009, 01:20 AM
that sounds pretty close to what i am doing. Can the mg and ca be added at the same time to the fresh ro water (no salt)? Also does it have to mix overnight before adding the salt?

banditpowdercoat
05-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Simple:

Don't add any alk, it is high enough already.

For every 1 US gallon of fresh water (RO, or RO/DI, or distilled)

-add 1.1 grams (0.2 tsp) variable from 0.6 to 1.3 grams of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate

-add 5.6 grams (1.3 tsps) of Magnesium Chloride (or the mix with mostly mag chloride, but also some Magnesium Sulfate [Epson salts} for better ionic balance) variable from 3.1 to 6.9 grams

THEN add the salt, let mix for at least a few hours.

Done'sville!

FWIW, the above is what I use for about 1.026 (or so s.g.) with my IO, and have been doing so for the pest 5 or 6 years. This assumes the water starts off at 11, 350, and 1180, and then ends up at 11, 430, and 1380.

Feel free to use a Reef Chemistry Calculator to custom tailor to your needs (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/%7Ejdieck1/chemcalc.html)

Well, no wonder my Ca spiked when I added 1/4 cup to 25g LOL I need a smaller measuring spoon

Doug,. what are you mixing the Mg with? noticed your specifying ml, not grams.

littlesilvermax
05-02-2009, 01:34 AM
that sounds pretty close to what i am doing. Can the mg and ca be added at the same time to the fresh ro water (no salt)? Also does it have to mix overnight before adding the salt?

Yes

Just mix it long enough that the mag and cal are dissolved, then you can add the salt.

mark
05-02-2009, 02:25 AM
When I start a new pail of IO I'll measure the Ca and Mg then again midway through and supplement using Ca and Mg from littlesilvermax with the amounts from JDieck's calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html), targeting NSW (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php).

Found each pail varies a bit but alk around 11 dKH, Ca 275-325 and Mg 900-1100 ppm.

banditpowdercoat
05-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Yes

Just mix it long enough that the mag and cal are dissolved, then you can add the salt.

WHat about adding to tank to top up levels. Is it safe to just pour a little crystals in the inlet of the sump?

mark
05-02-2009, 04:17 AM
WHat about adding to tank to top up levels. Is it safe to just pour a little crystals in the inlet of the sump?

Can dose the system to bring up the numbers and what I've done is dissolve the Ca or Mg in about a liter of ro/di then slowly add.

Reason to supplement the change water is say running a Ca reactor, the system is probably already good and steady so if doing a water change with straight IO mix, then you'll be dropping the display levels. Supplement first and then no drops or spikes.

Doug
05-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I add it to my salt mix, so I know the new water change is correct and it also stops calcification {if thats what the white precp. is called}. Had bad problems with it before following this formula and my well water.

I make ca and alk. additions to my tank based on its needs alone. I,m guessing Bens products could be used mixed in fresh top off water the same as any 2-part.

Dan, I did use a standard measure cup. If I remember correct I broke down the measure I first got from Ben. I believe he mixed up a 40 or 50g barrel of water. So if one needs 37ml for a 5g mix, Put it in a measure cup and then see how many tsp. it is. I believe thats what I did. However, I see Ben now mentioned how many tsp,s are needed.

:lol: I just throw in 3 or 4 tsp. for a 5g bucket. Or a little extra if I notice the mag dropping. Same for calcium. Usually a level tsp. per 5g but sometimes less.

I have to go back and read what he said but looked like about 5tsp.of mag per 5g as long as the IO mag is at the mentioned levels.