PDA

View Full Version : keeping Oxymonacanthus longirostris

reefy
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
does anyone here try keeping a Oxymonacanthus longirostris or orange spot filefish? I know that they need sps polyps to survive but I am planning to keep one in my softy tank, this guy is so beautifull and inexpensive, I really want to try one. replies will be apprecciated.

Rbacchiega
04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
I know that they need sps polyps to survive but I am planning to keep one in my softy tank.....

'nuff said.
Fussy fish to take care of, and frankly price shouldn't effect wheather or not you're going to buy a fish. Get ones that your tank can accomidate for their entire life in your 90 gallon rather than getting fish that you'll either have to give away (shark) will outgrow your tank (achillies) or won't suit your tank environment (filefish)

Chowder
04-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Believe Sphelps was keeping one in his SPS tank.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46407

Chris

new but handy
04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
This fish ONLY eats sps polyps. I don't know, but I dont think keeping one sps in your tank will be good enough. The coral will die then what. I can't remember who but someone on here got one and kept it in a full sps tank. The fish was picky with what it ate so it only ate one or two corals

reefy
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I was just wanted to know if anyone have kept one the eats frozen food, I have my 29 G sitting empty right now.

michika
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
There is a guy on RC who has a pair whom he is feeding pellet and frozen food. They do however live in something like a 800 or 900g tank right now I believe.

Either way, I would recommend avoiding them as they are high maintenance fish that require considerable expertise and care, yet have a very low success rate at this time.

reefy
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I think I gather enough infomation, I will pass on this fish this time hehe, thanks for everyone....

albert_dao
04-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Current copy of Coral Magazine has an enlighting article on the captive keeping of these fish. I'd pick up a copy.

wickedfrags
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
An outstanding fish, however they do eat SPS polyps. They generally graze SPS and do not eat the polyps one coral at a time or anything like that...they or may not accept prepared foods. You would need a LARGE population of SPS to keep both the fish and the corals happy. Plan on them nipping at any corals and clams you have...should you decide one is right for you and then change your mind, they area easy to remove as they do not fear us, just scoop them out.

por2stylz
12-20-2010, 10:09 PM
you just have to feed them alot, basicaly they eat constantly like a rabbit and the food passes thru them fast so they dont absorb all the nutrients small digestive system so 6 portions daily keep them in good health auto feeder recommended i use NLS .5mm pellets all he eats and is healthy 2 months now heres a video of mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjr1QTuvp8

naesco
12-21-2010, 01:35 AM
I think I gather enough infomation, I will pass on this fish this time hehe, thanks for everyone....

Greate decision!